Menu

Which Handwriting Program to begin with for Pre-K/K?

andrea14

I only used HWT, so I can't compare it, but it was fun for my daughter and worked well. Only a small part is actual writing-it was much more playing with playdough, building letters using the letter pieces, dancing, moving your body, coloring, and so on, which spoke her language at age 4.

We have not really used a program (except for some Kumon books early on). We are now transitioning to cursive. And if I had it to do all over again, I would start with cursive, because the transition is difficult and entirely unnecessary. But dd was very advanced and wanted to learn her letters at 3yo. Kumon was the only thing I found for that age group. I have heard that HWT starts fairly early, but I don't like the looks of it, and I really feel that starting with cursive is a better approach.

We are now using Cursive First. I bought it thinking that it was designed for new writers, and I could use it with my younger ds later on. But it is really just another program, and a fairly ordinary one at that. Once dd learned all the letters, I just started making copywork for her on the computer. I realize now that I really didn't need a program at all. I could have just purchased StartWrite and made up the worksheets myself (seeing as how I always end up making copywork anyway).

So with that experience under my belt, with my next one, we will start cursive by doing gross motor activities, such as writing in a salt box. Then we will move to a white board. (I understand that writing on a white board is more of a gross motor activity.) The I will make copy pages when he is ready to write on paper.

Oh, and I also wish that I had paid closer attention to the pencil grip at the beginning. DD's grip was almost right, so I didn't notice the problem until she was doing more copy work and complaining that her hand hurt after writing only one line. If you have any doubts, I would recommend using a pencil grip at the outset that will teach your child how to hold the pencil properly from the beginning.

J uses HWOT during OT and used it in K4 at Catholic school. At the *same* school they changed the kiddos over to Zaner Blosser-why I have NO idea.

*I* like ZB *much* better than HWOT. I think HWOT moves too slowly and makes handwritting a game. Maybe I am just a fuddy duddy, but I just don't like HWOT.

We use ZB at home and the combined method has GREATLY improved his fine motor/handwritting abilities. So, there is a method that does work with HWOT, that is certain!

We are really enjoying Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K book. I bought a used set of the manipulatives so we have everything except the roll a dough set. We have used all of it, and I'd be hard pressed to give up any of it. The kids love the CD, the wood pieces and the mat, and the stamp and see screen.

Good luck!

I'm a HWT fan. My oldest learned to write using it at preschool. It gave him a great foundation for penmanship skills. When I brought him home I decided to use HWT for cursive. But, I couldn't stand the look of it so we tried Zaner-Bloser. Well, that didn't go so well so we're now committed to staying with HWT. I couldn't be happier! It really is a great program.

We used HWT K at age 4 (Ariel really liked the little chalkboard) and switched to Zaner-Bloser at age 5. She's nearly done with the 2nd grade manuscript book for Z-B at age 6. I plan to have her practice her printing with copy work until ~7-7.5 and then begin cursive.

Thank you all so much for your input! I'm thinking I'll give HWT a try!

umm.. I may be too late, and in the minority here, but I would urge you to check out the Getty-Dubay italics handwriting program. It is simple yet pretty and very easy to transition to cursive later, because the letter shapes don't change. The workbooks are very affordable and you can use StartWrite to create your own copywork.

umm.. I may be too late, and in the minority here, but I would urge you to check out the Getty-Dubay italics handwriting program. It is simple yet pretty and very easy to transition to cursive later, because the letter shapes don't change. The workbooks are very affordable and you can use StartWrite to create your own copywork.

:iagree:

After looking and so many different handwriting curriculu I decided on Getty Dubay, no contest. I just received it last week and I LOVE it. Definitely check it out if you haven't already! :D

Another fan of HWT.

I've used it with both dd's. I tried the freebie penmanship printables with my oldest and since switching to HWT for her, her penmanship has changed drastically!!

My middler enjoyed the preschool level ALOT and finished it in record time...she's now doing the K level and I can see her easily getting started on the 1st level later this year..which is fine with me. My oldest likes the program too but really isn't liking that I erase and make her redo...but that's with her with any subject. However I can see a BIG difference in her writing because of the program.

We are now transitioning to cursive. And if I had it to do all over again, I would start with cursive, because the transition is difficult and entirely unnecessary. I really feel that starting with cursive is a better approach.

:iagree:with this!

It sounds like you're fairly decided on HWOT and that there are many votes to support that, so if you like it, then go for it. However, I thought I would throw in one more vote for starting with cursive. I never taught my daughter traditional printing. We started cursive when she was 4, and that is what she uses for all of her schoolwork. My son is 4 now, and he is learning cursive as well.

Both dc have picked up printing on their own and sometimes write in print when they're making crafts or cards or whatnot.

We used Abeka for handwriting because it is one of the few programs designed to start cursive with a young (non-reading) child.