Menu

Has anyone here volunteered for hospice?

I volunteered with hospice before I had children. Most of the volunteers were elderly. We'd make crafts together for the hospice patients. I was assigned two people to visit. Both were very sad/depressed people. I'm not a very talkative person and I was way out of my comfort zone, but just my effort and my presence made a difference to them (so said the nurses). One of my patients passed on. Volunteering with hospice was hard in many ways, but I'm glad I did it.

This post is going to sound horrible, but I want to be honest. I worked hospice about 2 years ago for about 3-4 months. It was hard. The lady I was taking care of passed away. It would bother me all day before I had to go back to work (I worked overnights/evenings). I even had a dream about her. I think the people who actually stuck around with that job were older, so maybe it's too much for someone in their 20's or early 30's. I actually ended up quitting at the end of the summer.

I couldn't spend hours and hours with someone and then they pass away... I was a mess. :crying:

I do have to say that the hospice nurses were pretty incredible. I have a lot of respect for them.

I really appreciate your honest answers :grouphug:. That's why I wanted to ask, because deep down, I think I was questioning if I was cut out for it.

I'm in a vulnerable place right now, as my aunt is dying. She will most likely die this week. Hospice has been so wonderful, when I read in the paper they were having training, it grabbed my attention.

Thanks, again.

I really appreciate your honest answers :grouphug:. That's why I wanted to ask, because deep down, I think I was questioning if I was cut out for it.

I'm in a vulnerable place right now, as my aunt is dying. She will most likely die this week. Hospice has been so wonderful, when I read in the paper they were having training, it grabbed my attention.

Thanks, again.

You might still be too close.

Decades ago (!!!) I tried to volunteer at a domestic violence shelter. I was just purging files for them and I couldn't take it. The phrases kept jumping out at me (injuries, number of children, status of returned to partner...) and it gave me panic attacks due to my own experiences.

I'd probably be fine now. Maybe.