Menu

Making copies of workbooks to save money

:seeya:Hello all you wonderful Homeschool Moms,

I was wondering if any of the following workbooks came with perforated pages for easy pull out and copy. I have twins doing the same curriculum and I'm on a tight budget.

Beginning Wisely: English 3 student edition

First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 3 Student Workbook

Prima Latiana Student Book

SOW 1, Ancient times activity book

The Complete Writer: Level 3 workbook

thank you

Sincerely,

Debi

I have a few kids using the same level three using Bob Jones Math, two using Sonlight 5.

Bob Jones can't be copied. Sonlight 5 can be but in the end it seemed less expensive or about the same to purchase another set of consumables.

So, no, I don't copy if I can purchase another one.

You might want to check the copyright, just to make sure you can copy it.

Guest ME-Mommy
:seeya:Hello all you wonderful Homeschool Moms,

I was wondering if any of the following workbooks came with perforated pages for easy pull out and copy. I have twins doing the same curriculum and I'm on a tight budget.

Beginning Wisely: English 3 student edition

First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 3 Student Workbook

Prima Latiana Student Book

SOW 1, Ancient times activity book

The Complete Writer: Level 3 workbook

thank you

Sincerely,

Debi

I have NO experience with the others, but SOTW Activity Guides have perforated Student Pages that can be reproduced. :)

You can purchase pdf's of all the Peace Hill Press materials, that might be cheaper for you in the long run. Prima Latina doesn't have perforated pages, but it's been easy enough to copy. Don't know about Beginning Wisely, hope that helps :).

Prima Latina is intended to be consumed, and copying it would be a violation of copyright law and therefore illegal and unethical. Rod & Staff is nonconsumable and doesn't need to be copied. The Peace Hill Press can be copied, although it doesn't really save you any money to do so, since you can buy the PDF for about the same price as having copies made.

If you are really needing to save money, I would take a strong look at the Rod & Staff English, which is hardback and wouldn't need to be copied. Your child does the writing on separate paper, or you could do a lot of orally with only one student book. Using nonconsumable items is the best way to save money in this area.

ETA: Explaining on the PDF: If I buy the PDF and print two copies of just the student pages, it costs less than buying the print copy and copying the student pages. Hope that makes sense. And yes, it is just intended for within the same family, but since she is talking about copying for a twin, that is sort or a given for her.

Edited by Asenik

Prima Latina is intended to be consumed, and copying it would be a violation of copyright law and therefore illegal and unethical. Rod & Staff is nonconsumable and doesn't need to be copied. The Peace Hill Press can be copied, although it doesn't really save you any money to do so, since you can buy the PDF for about the same price as having copies made.

If you are really needing to save money, I would take a strong look at the Rod & Staff English, which is hardback and wouldn't need to be copied. Your child does the writing on separate paper, or you could do a lot of orally with only one student book. Using nonconsumable items is the best way to save money in this area.

I have a WWE and SOTW AG and FLL workbooks and you can copy them within your family only.

Hi,

Just went and double checked mine. WWE3 states clearly that you are permitted to copy the student pages for your family (schools and coops aren't allowed to do this). FLL3 doesn't say one way or the other, but I would be surprised if you weren't allowed to given it's from the same press. And both are perforated.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for bringing this up (Prima Latina). I just double checked my student book and it does not give permission to copy it within your family. I assumed it did, since most homeschooling publishers do. Guess dd gets to use the book and I'll have to buy another one for ds (even though I probably change my mind by then :D).

Thanks for bringing this up (Prima Latina). I just double checked my student book and it does not give permission to copy it within your family. I assumed it did, since most homeschooling publishers do. Guess dd gets to use the book and I'll have to buy another one for ds (even though I probably change my mind by then :D).

I had to get mine out to check this too.

I usually assume that you can't copy, so I think PHP is fairly generous in this respect.

I know this is something that not everyone thinks about, but when we follow the rules on this, it really does help assure that the homeschool publishers are able stay in business and keep publishing their materials.

I try really hard to cut down on the amount of paper we use, and usually coping pages isn't the most efficient-- money or paper used.

I think doing pages orally (maybe even each day a different kid could write), using dry erase, or using your own paper is usually cheaper than copying.

For us WWE and FLL student pages use a lot of paper. We can do several WWE days on one sheet of lined paper, especially once they move to regular notebook paper, but even on the triple lined paper.

Even for FLL most of the days are pretty easy to sketch or write on paper.

For SOTW copying as we need it works for us. Often we only need one copy of a page (games and many activites) or don't use them at all (don't like to color and skip some activites). We do usually need two maps and occasionally there is an activity we need two of, but for us copying as needed is most economical.

I try really hard to cut down on the amount of paper we use, and usually copying pages isn't the most efficient-- money or paper used.

I think doing pages orally (maybe even each day a different kid could write), using dry erase, or using your own paper is usually cheaper than copying.

For us WWE and FLL student pages use a lot of paper. We can do several WWE days on one sheet of lined paper, especially once they move to regular notebook paper, but even on the triple lined paper.

Even for FLL most of the days are pretty easy to sketch or write on paper.

For SOTW copying as we need it works for us. Often we only need one copy of a page (games and many activites) or don't use them at all (don't like to color and skip some activites). We do usually need two maps and occasionally there is an activity we need two of, but for us copying as needed is most economical.

:iagree:

I did buy the workbook for FLL 3 because so many insisted it was necessary. After going through it that way with one child I don't consider it necessary, especially if you're already familiar with FLL's style, and I won't be buying the workbook for the next kid who uses it.

The Rod and Staff English workbooks do allow copying, but the test books don't. I do copy from our English workbooks, because we only use a few random pages rather than the whole book. We prefer to do most of the lessons orally. I do buy a test book for each kid. R&S materials are so low cost I can't imagine it being cheaper to copy either book in it's entirety.

Just wanted to say...I have twins and understand your pain. :) On the other hand...I went the copying route and don't think I saved any money. Now they all have their own workbooks!

:iagree: I went through several years of trudging off to Staples to make copies on a high speed copier. Now I feel that it well worth the $$ to buy an extra book.

Are you allowed to copy books that give you permission to copy within your family if it was purchased second hand (used) or given to you from someone else?

A long while ago there was a huge copyright thread on here; I believe the verdict on this was that permission to copy was for the original purchaser only.