Menu

New Netflix account. What should I add to my que?

I like history, science, sci-fi, mysteries, thrillers, drama, adventure, true crime, a interesting and well told bio and pretty much anything that is so deep it makes your head hurt but only is it has a satisfying conclusion. I hate movies with a stupid ending. I like a lot of things on Discovery channel. Not real big on romantic comedies but I do like really funny comedies and a lot of stand-up. Both TV series or movies are ok. I currently have Torchwood in my on-line viewing cache but very little in my que so I am looking for ideas.

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, which is a foreign film, and an excellent movie. You can watch it on instant.

I added this because of the high ratings, I liked the premise but it really could have done without about 2-3 violent rape scenes....I would not recommend it.

Based on your interests:

Dr. Who Season 1-2-3- are instant play, I think, if not, get them added to your queue..the ones startng in the 2005-2006 series....once you get through the first one, it's pretty good..our family LOVED them!!

Oh and we loved Brian Regan shows...great clean comedian!! But, still Bean rocks the house! :)

I have a penchant for BBC productions...

We also loved the most recent Robin Hood series and Merlin series oh and all of Mr. Bean..."The Whole Bean"

Enjoy!!!!

Tara

"Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story"

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, and I finally got to watch this. I hope that I can be even HALF the mother his mom was!

There was also lots of discussion with dd throughout the movie about how much Ben studied and how hard he worked.

I could recommend about a thousand different movies, but I'll stick with one little group and let others fill in.

If you like the BBC miniseries, there are several fantastic ones on Netflix.

North & South

Daniel Deronda

Wives & Daughters

Bleak House

Our Mutual Friend

Eddie Izzard has a hilarious routine on watch now called Dressed to Kill. If you like standup, you might like him. :)

Avatar: The Last Airbender. It seems like a kid's show, but my DH and I enjoyed it even more than the kids. All 3 seasons are on watch now.

John Adams

Everest: Beyond the Limit

Into the Wild – Biography

Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment

Bones – tv series

History Channel: The Revolution

Human Body: Pushing the Limit

Planet Earth

The Proposal – comedy

As good as it gets - comedy

State of Play – political thriller

Flightplan - suspense

"Gifted Hands - The Ben Carson Story" (Inspirational, completely clean)

"Cranford" Dickenish and very entertaining period piece

"The Road to Avonlea" 7 seasons of fun entertainment that has a bit of everything - totally clean if it matters

"5 Mile Creek" Western type (also several seasons) set in 1890's Australia

also has a bit of everything, suspense, romance and fun (clean as well)

"Innerspace" a touch of science fiction, funny, older 80's movie

Planes, Trains and Automobiles" comedy with some serious undertones

I added this because of the high ratings, I liked the premise but it really could have done without about 2-3 violent rape scenes....I would not recommend it.

Oh, no can do. I am still tramatized by the relatively tame scene from Billy Jack. I will avoid any show with rape scenes.

Based on your interests:

Dr. Who Season 1-2-3- are instant play, I think, if not, get them added to your queue..the ones startng in the 2005-2006 series....once you get through the first one, it's pretty good..our family LOVED them!!

Oh and we loved Brian Regan shows...great clean comedian!! But, still Bean rocks the house! :)

I have been considering the Dr. Who series and we love Brian Regan. Thanks.

John Adams

Everest: Beyond the Limit

Into the Wild – Biography

Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment

Bones – tv series

History Channel: The Revolution

Human Body: Pushing the Limit

Planet Earth

The Proposal – comedy

As good as it gets - comedy

State of Play – political thriller

Flightplan - suspense

Oh my, I have watched at least half of these and will check out the other half. Thanks.

I could recommend about a thousand different movies, but I'll stick with one little group and let others fill in.

If you like the BBC miniseries, there are several fantastic ones on Netflix.

North & South

Daniel Deronda

Wives & Daughters

Bleak House

Our Mutual Friend

Eddie Izzard has a hilarious routine on watch now called Dressed to Kill. If you like standup, you might like him. :)

Avatar: The Last Airbender. It seems like a kid's show, but my DH and I enjoyed it even more than the kids. All 3 seasons are on watch now.

Ok, I have seen a few mentions of Avatar: The Last Air Bender. Tell me about this please. Also interested in hearing about Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend.

Watch Farscape! The BEST sci-fi we've ever watched. A really good run (although cut short, sniff, sniff) followed by a mini-series to finish things off. :)

Leverage is good, and BBC's Hustle is a similar flavor.

Dr. Who starting with Christopher Eccleston and continuing to David Tenant as the Doctor is lots of fun.

ETA: Eddie Izzard is AWESOME!

Ok, I have seen a few mentions of Avatar: The Last Air Bender. Tell me about this please. Also interested in hearing about Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend.

Avatar is an American Anime series - it's about this world based on 4 different tribes with powers to move their environments: waterbenders, airbenders, firebenders, & earthbenders. Only the Avatar can learn to bend all 4 elements and keep balance with all the cultures. Sounds like a strange premise, but it is such a wonderful story with great characters and a lot of funny and heartwarming moments. It has a lot of Buddhist/Eastern Mysticist beliefs (meditation & a lesson on chakras come to mind), but as Christians we thought it was tame in those regards.

Bleak House & Our Mutual Friend are both based off novels by Charles Dickens - so equal parts depressing and lovely at the same time. ;)

BTVS, Dollhouse, Firefly and Angel are on instant play

as are..

Season 1, 2 3 of Primeval

Season 1 of Merlin

all 3 seasons of BBC Robin Hood

Sanctuary seasons 1 and 2

and 3 Bill Engvall stand up shows :D

Oh, I love Bill. Sometimes my hubby or I can bring the other to laughter with a well placed "Yes mam" or "Yes Sir". ;)