Menu

Medical Question - Need Advice for Tonight

If someone could help, I'd appreciate it. This is a somewhat graphic...

I had a bug bite (I think) that became pretty infected over the course of 5 days. I'd say the infected area was about the sz of a deck of cards (on the front of my right hip). Very red, swollen, and painful.

I went to the hospital today & they gave me some pain medicine through a needle & then cut open the site of infection and tried to get all of the junk out. They packed the wound and put about 1" of stacked gauze pads on top and then a bandage over that & told me to come back tomorrow to have it checked.

But - the bandage is completely soaked with blood & I wonder if I should remove it (not the packed part) and put something clean over top before heading to bed. What they put on top of the gauze, however, is sealed on all 4 sides. All I have here is more gauze and extra-large Band-Aids. Nothing that will keep it completely sealed (everything here is closed on Sundays so I can not go out to get anything else).

Should I just wait until tomorrow, or should I change the bandage? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but would appreciate some advice if you have it!

ETA: the bandage on top must be water-proof b/c nothing is leaking through - but I can clearly see the pads underneath & they are completely soaked.

We don't have Class 6 here. All of that is at the Shoppettes & we are 25-30 min. from base. But - a PA friend on FB just answered me and said to leave it alone. Especially since I wasn't given antibiotics.

TY for the quick response.

a PA friend on FB just answered me and said to leave it alone. Especially since I wasn't given antibiotics.

I was thinking the same thing. Apart from the gauze, my dd's PICC line site has a sealed IV/bandage cover like that and the nurses are careful to wear masks, etc. when they change her dressing. (And she IS on IV antibiotics.) So sorry about your infection!

If you do not have adequate supplies, leave the bandage alone. Most wounds like this drain bloody plus purulent for several days. You'll probably be asked to come for several days to have daily wound care performed. Tomorrow, I'd buy supplies to have on hand to change just the outer bandage as needed for soiling.

TY all. I just woke and have ice on it like they suggested. I go today at 1:00 to have it checked. I never had infections like this until moving to Germany. All I can figure is that there may be strains of bacteria that I wasn't exposed to in the US - but not sure if that makes any sense as I am not medical-minded in the least!

TY all. I just woke and have ice on it like they suggested. I go today at 1:00 to have it checked. I never had infections like this until moving to Germany. All I can figure is that there may be strains of bacteria that I wasn't exposed to in the US - but not sure if that makes any sense as I am not medical-minded in the least!

That actually doesn't sound strange at all. When we moved from the East coast of the US to the West coast, we stayed continually sick for almost 3 months..as in we didn't move off the couch...and then sporadically sick for a year. I've since spoken to other people who have experienced the same.

Barb

That actually doesn't sound strange at all. When we moved from the East coast of the US to the West coast, we stayed continually sick for almost 3 months..as in we didn't move off the couch...and then sporadically sick for a year. I've since spoken to other people who have experienced the same.

Barb

New teachers and new nurses often experience the same phenomenon. Until they are exposed to and develop immunities for the most common pathogens that are in their work communities, they tend to get sick several times that first year or so. Same thing with a kid whose never been in daycare going off to kindy. My first son was sick the whole first year of PS. (His sis and bro went into daycare his year of kindy, so they were also sick from being exposed both to daycare and the things that their bro brought home from kindy.)

Ugh! What kind of bug bite was THAT? It sounds horrible!

No idea at all. It looked like a mosquito bite... Anyhow am back from the re-check & all looks better. They re-packed it (with something that stung like crazy for about 15 minutes) and I go back tomorrow for another dressing change. Thanks again, y'all!

No idea at all. It looked like a mosquito bite... Anyhow am back from the re-check & all looks better. They re-packed it (with something that stung like crazy for about 15 minutes) and I go back tomorrow for another dressing change. Thanks again, y'all!

The infection didn't come from the insect. It came from bacteria on your skin or under your fingernails. The packing is usually iodaform gauze. (Basically...antiseptic soaked.) Most of these infections are staph. In the US, a large percentage of them are now positive for antibiotic-resistant staph.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcgraw1011

I am thinking the same thing. Apart from the gauze, my dd's PICC line site has a sealed IV/bandage cover like that and the nurses are careful to wear masks. When they change her dressing and she IS on IV antibiotics. So sorry about your infection, its such confusing.