Menu

Take a look at my 3rd grade calendar please..

Halcyon

What are your thoughts? A few things to know:

1) my son loves science

2) Thursday is a longer day only due to art creating time, which my son adores and doesn't consider work at all.

3) We don't follow this to the letter: if he is tired or we've gone past 3 1/2 or 4 hours, we would stop. He did 3 hours a day in 2nd grade and I'm thinking 3 1/2 to 4 in 3rd should be doable, but we'll see.

3rd Calendar

Click above to view

3rd-grade2.pdf

I like your schedule a lot. I think it looks really good and complete.

How do you do SM and MEP in 40 minutes? Does he do MEP online? I added MEP 2 for a while, but think it is really takes too long and I don't want us to do math so much that it squeezes other things out. I still like to add another math, like Math Mammoth, maybe to supplement 3A's division and then fraction later.

Edited by aomom

I like your schedule a lot. I think it looks really good and complete.

How do you do SM and MEP in 40 minutes? Does he do MEP online? I added MEP 2 for a while, but think it is really takes too long and I don't want us to do math so much that it squeezes other things out. I still like to add another math, like Math Mammoth, maybe to supplement 3A's division and then fraction later.

Re SM and MEP: we do SM first, and we do the Textbook together, not always doing every problem if they're easy. Then he does the workbook exercise, and then he does IP. To be honest, this usually takes 30 minutes (depends on what we're learning that day). If it's a difficult topic, we skip MEP that day. If it's easy, he does one sheet of MEP later in the afternoon, after resting--I consider it 'math homework' in a way. Usually takes him 20 minutes. So total math time can vary from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the day, but we break it into two segments. And like I said, if we're working on a challenging concept in SM, we skip MEP for that day. It depends on how my son is feeling.

So, I consider SM our main math program, and MEP is done for fun. There are only 30 sheets per semester in MEP, so assuming 20 weeks in a semester then really, he only needs to do 1-2 sheets a week to 'keep up'.

Edited by Halcyon

I don't have a 3rd grader yet, but I think it looks great! Very similar to our schedule right now, except ours is around 2-2.5 hours, and we do SOTW just 3x a week.

Yes, sometimes SOTW is just 3 or 4 days, depending on what we're covering. If it's something that catches our interest, we may do extra library reading or projects and work all 5 days.

what a great schedule. after our first work - i was thinking i need to readjust and your schedule gave me such a great starting point. thanks so much for sharing!!

I'm glad i could help! we're still 'tweaking' it...and please keep in mind, this is just a guideline. I mark what we actually accomplish each day in a separate, blank table, and we don't always follow this schedule to a 'T' ;)

Re SM and MEP: we do SM first, and we do the Textbook together, not always doing every problem if they're easy. Then he does the workbook exercise, and then he does IP. To be honest, this usually takes 30 minutes (depends on what we're learning that day). If it's a difficult topic, we skip MEP that day. If it's easy, he does one sheet of MEP later in the afternoon, after resting--I consider it 'math homework' in a way. Usually takes him 20 minutes. So total math time can vary from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the day, but we break it into two segments. And like I said, if we're working on a challenging concept in SM, we skip MEP for that day. It depends on how my son is feeling.

So, I consider SM our main math program, and MEP is done for fun. There are only 30 sheets per semester in MEP, so assuming 20 weeks in a semester then really, he only needs to do 1-2 sheets a week to 'keep up'.

30 sheets a semester? I saw 175 pages for Year 3. Can you tell me where you get the 30 sheets per semester from? I am really confused.

Thanks,

J

30 sheets a semester? I saw 175 pages for Year 3. Can you tell me where you get the 30 sheets per semester from? I am really confused.

Thanks,

J

You're right! I counted incorrectly--we've actually never had a problem getting through MEP each year, and I'd never actually planned it out, so this was the first time I'd counted! Sorry about that. I guess we do end up doing MEP most days, as we've never had trouble getting through the year. Last year, we did MEP Y2A and Y2B, which is 175 pp (just like year 3, as you pointed out!) and we do math about 44 weeks of the year, give or take...so.....I guess we do about 4 pages a week. Whew :) Thanks for clarifying!!