Menu

Vent: Humane Society made me sooooo mad!

Not picking on you, as I agree with your entire post. I just wanted to say that honestly, if a person cannot afford the $100 adoption fee (which covers rabies vaccine, flea treatment, and other medical care [i personally think it's a bargain), then the person probably cannot afford to care for a pet for many years. Pets are really a luxury for most people. Pets are just expensive -- food, litter for cats, vet bills, etc.

Yea, yea it may be a deterrent but the fact that adoptions (at least here) are over $100 (yes I just checked) is a pretty good deterrent as well. How many animals you think are going to be adopted when it costs that much per animal anyway? I know I couldn't get one, even if I wanted one, at that cost.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But surely the things that cause discomfort and suffering are different for people and animals. My cat has been trained to enjoy treats, to scratch for them, and to squeak for them. But, never giving her treats would not lead to suffering. Just because an animal gets accustomed to something doesn't mean it really needs it. Often times, animals get treated a certain way because it's what people need.

I don't see it as a competition or conflict between human and non-human. All life is valuable, and I am called on to help all beings and alleviate whatever suffering I see to the best of my ability.

Tara

I don't understand this comment. Do you actually think a dog lover would spare a human life to save a dog?:001_huh: Have you EVER met someone who would do this? EVER? Or is this just an assumption of yours? I honestly don't get it.

No, in total honesty, I DO know people, even a couple on this list, but also others, who have said openly that they would save their beloved pet over a stranger. I am not making it up. And besides this, there are many who consider animal life equal in importance to human life. My comment was to say that I appreciate that this person does not.

I disagree with you. I agree that you should take care of basic needs, but I don't see animals on the same level as people, so I would fault a person for not spending thousands of dollars on cancer treatment for an animal.

One of our cats developed FUS, and it was so bad that it required a surgery costing thousands, and the surgery wasn't guaranteed to fix it. We chose to have it put to sleep. It was my favorite cat [i had always had a cat gorowingup], but I couldn't ask my dad to spend that kind of money at that time in his life.

what happens when our car breaks down? We fix it. What happens when the roof leaks? We fix it. What happens when our animal gets sick? If we are responsible owners, we fix it. If we are not, we shouldn't own one. Seriously. Who is going to buy a car and then complain when it needs an oil change? Why is an animal any different? Honestly, a few hundred dollars should be expected once in awhile. If you're not willing to accept that, please don't own an animal.

No, in total honesty, I DO know people, even a couple on this list, but also others, who have said openly that they would save their beloved pet over a stranger. I am not making it up. And besides this, there are many who consider animal life equal in importance to human life. My comment was to say that I appreciate that this person does not.

I am sorry I was assuming you were making an assumption.

:blushing:

Thankfully we all will likely never be put into that situation.

I disagree with you. I agree that you should take care of basic needs, but I don't see animals on the same level as people, so I would fault a person for not spending thousands of dollars on cancer treatment for an animal.

One of our cats developed FUS, and it was so bad that it required a surgery costing thousands, and the surgery wasn't guaranteed to fix it. We chose to have it put to sleep. It was my favorite cat [i had always had a cat gorowingup], but I couldn't ask my dad to spend that kind of money at that time in his life.

now YOU are making assumptions. ;) I did say that it should be expected to spend a few hundred dollars here and there. People who own animals and get a bill for that once, in a young and otherwise healthy animal, and refuse to pay it or be subjected to those types of bills ever again is ludicrous to me and SO unfair to the animal and I don't believe those types of people should own animals. It is a commitment financially, too.

ETA I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was saying animals are the on the same level of people from my post.

Dh and I have this (usually) hypothetical debate all the time. For us, there's a big difference between depleting our family savings for a severely ill animal and spending extra money for a fixable situation.

We have had a cat put down, rather than administer IV fluids to sustain her for a few months. But we chose to pay for individual cremation and kept her remains, which cost nearly as much as the treatments. It wasn't the money in that case, but the quality of life.

Then again, I support assisted suicide and made a judgment based on what I would want for myself. So it wasn't so much a human vs. animal thing.

I guess I was reading that whenever an animal gets sick, we should be willing to pay to fix it.

I totally agree that pets cost money, and you should not own one if you aren't willing/able to provide for it. I feel that way with everything -- consider the cost before taking on responsibility. It goes for a home, a child, a pet, whatever.

I just paid $400 to treat one cat's urinary tract infection. Yes, I was willing to do that. But, I honestly would not be willing to pay that kind of money every few months. If our cat became that expensive to own and had that many problems, we would end it. Yes, I would be sad. I cried when our lizard died. I take injured birds to the bird rehabilitation lady down the street. I rescued a monarch from the beach, fed it, and released it when it had enough energy to fly. But, I draw the line somewhere.

And much of the rest I said in the post wasn't aimed at you. It was more of a musing in response to the idea that everyone should give animals the same level of treatment that they would give people. The idea that people are animals. Much of the disussion here really comes down to a basic belief system that people disagree on.

now YOU are making assumptions. ;) I did say that it should be expected to spend a few hundred dollars here and there. People who own animals and get a bill for that once, in a young and otherwise healthy animal, and refuse to pay it or be subjected to those types of bills ever again is ludicrous to me and SO unfair to the animal and I don't believe those types of people should own animals. It is a commitment financially, too.

ETA I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was saying animals are the on the same level of people from my post.

Just to clarify- I was not refering to folks who need to use daycare in order to work to support their families. I was referring to those (and I know quite a few of them) who put their kids in daycare or extremely early preschool programs, in order to give the mom time to herself everyday to do what she wishes. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by my comment.

You mean like MOO for 3 year- olds? Or maybe a babysitter at the house for younger? That is horrible. Why should Moms have time to themselves to do what they wish?

:lol:

I don't understand anyone.

You mean like MOO for 3 year- olds? Or maybe a babysitter at the house for younger? That is horrible. Why should Moms have time to themselves to do what they wish?

I don't understand anyone.

Oh come on, you really don't think that's what she meant, do you? :tongue_smilie:

I know stay at home moms who have their kids in full time day care because they can't cope with raising their own children. One mom I know has a full time nanny and additional babysitters to cover the hours the nanny isn't there. She won't take her kids anywhere with her, even one at a time, because it's too stressful, and she doesn't play with them, bath them, or put them to bed at night. I could be wrong, but I think that's the kind of situation Beth was referring to. Granted, it's not the norm, but it's not uncommon either.

I know, right?? The only good moms are the ones who never, ever want to be separated from their precious offspring.

Tara

Well then I guess I will admit it publicly: I AM A BAD MOM. I *LOVE* time alone, and it was only after I had been a mom about 12 years or so that I realized I needed this.

So there. :tongue_smilie:

Oh come on, you really don't think that's what she meant, do you? :tongue_smilie:

I know stay at home moms who have their kids in full time day care because they can't cope with raising their own children. One mom I know has a full time nanny and additional babysitters to cover the hours the nanny isn't there. She won't take her kids anywhere with her, even one at a time, because it's too stressful, and she doesn't play with them, bath them, or put them to bed at night. I could be wrong, but I think that's the kind of situation Beth was referring to. Granted, it's not the norm, but it's not uncommon either.

:001_huh::001_huh::confused::confused:

and then there's me, who learned to be self sufficient from the day I became a mother, and even had to bring my kids to my gynecologist appt. I did have the boys sit outside the door, the girls sat inside behind the curtain (youngest dd peeked and I scolded her.) I don't know that I'd even want the luxury of full time daycare, nannies or sitters all the time.

Wait............ at my last appt. my youngest asked me why my boobs disappeared when I laid down. The dr. laughed and I jokingly said in a LOUD voice, "THEY'RE THERE, they just relocated. You'll understand one day."

:leaving:

Well then I guess I will admit it publicly: I AM A BAD MOM. I *LOVE* time alone, and it was only after I had been a mom about 12 years or so that I realized I needed this.

You and me both, babe. :D

Is there a hand-slapping smiley?

Tara

I also agree. Dogs are social animals and need their ‘pack,’ which is their human family. Some people own dogs, but don’t get as attached to me. I do know people who have outside dogs, but I wouldn’t want that. I love my dogs and like having them with me in my house.

:001_huh::001_huh::confused::confused:

and then there's me, who learned to be self sufficient from the day I became a mother, and even had to bring my kids to my gynecologist appt. I did have the boys sit outside the door, the girls sat inside behind the curtain (youngest dd peeked and I scolded her.) I don't know that I'd even want the luxury of full time daycare, nannies or sitters all the time.

Wait............ at my last appt. my youngest asked me why my boobs disappeared when I laid down. The dr. laughed and I jokingly said in a LOUD voice, "THEY'RE THERE, they just relocated. You'll understand one day."

:leaving:

My middle dd went to an OB appt with me when I was pregnant with #3. She asked why I had hair "down there." Doc calmly told her she would too when she got older. :lol: :blushing:

We have spent a couple thousand dollars on medical treatment for one of our dogs. The dog is a dachshund and I came home one day to find him on the floor unable to walk and in pain from a back injury. This was a young, athletic dog that my dh is very attached to. We carried the dog to a referral/emergency facility in another state and had emergency surgery done. We also carried him back for physical therapy for an extended period. This dog still needs a little more care than he would if he were completely healthy but he has a very good quality of life. One factor in my decision was that my dh is somewhat emotionally fragile and treatment for the dog was probably cheaper than the missed work and possible therapy that might have resulted for dh.

My middle dd went to an OB appt with me when I was pregnant with #3. She asked why I had hair "down there." Doc calmly told her she would too when she got older. :lol: :blushing:

I had to take all 4 kids to my last ultrasound. I have a tattoo I don't talk about. So far, nobody else has, either, but I'm finding it hard to believe they ALL missed it.

(Dh is usually there to keep eyes averted!)

Ditto. There are times where I do escape to Walmart or Barnes & Noble alone just so I can press the reset button. It wasn't like that when I was younger. I've also been taking mini dates with my children, one on one. I'll take one to the bookstore, one to a cafe, one to Walmart and the Petstore, etc. This also helps both my children and myself...especially in a large family.

good points. It's a continuum, IMWOT ( in my way of thinking ).

There's healthy time apart and unhealthy time apart. The lady you described is definately on the unhealthy end...

ducking and running

No offense to anyone but they'd also be miserable DEAD.

Seriously, we're talking about not enough homes for dogs so they're being put to sleep a.k.a. killed. Or, horribly, have to live out of doors.

(But c'mon, you knew they were NOT going to be happy about you having two un-fixed animals at your house.)

I agree with you. But your last thought would honestly never have occurred to me.

The news just reported that the annual August dump is occurring as the humane societies are receiving dropped off pets from people headed to vacation and/or another year of school/college/commitments. It's a real issue in Europe too, but some folks just leave the animals to roam and fend for themselves. So, maxed out facilities, fewer people looking for pets.

Bottom line, I don't condone absolutist policies like this for an adoption group when it has a loving family on its doorstep and animals available. They can't control everything and it's unhelpful to try. Some facilities are only able to hold animals for a few weeks before .... :crying:

People are saying that it's better to adopt out to a sub par home than to euthenize but we don't know that this facility is a kill shelter. Maybe it's a no kill shelter. It's possible the animals at this shelter are not at risk of being put to sleep & all will be placed eventually in an appropriate home. Many shelters around here are no-kill.

I'm considered an outcast at my church because I don't have my youngers enrolled in the all week preschool program (and my olders in school). The reason is because I need:

1) to have mental time that doesn't involve the children (30 hours a week)

2) to grocery shop/run errands/appointments

3) for my pedicure/manicure/salon trips

4) LOL! take the animals to their vet/therapy visits (I am not making that up!)

5) to clean the house/cook the meals

6) have time for my hobbies.

I'm supposed to be "mom" in the evenings when hubby handles the baths and night times and on the weekends.

So i fully understood the PP about moms who stick their kids in daycare not for work (which I will be doing soon myself) but to handle "life" because they can't do anything with a kid in tow. One woman even sent out request on the prayer chain for help with her 2 kids while she ran to the library. Because she can't check out books with them:confused:

Time away to get your mojo back is one thing. Nobody begrudges a mom that.

I have found this in our area, too. Things have gotten really weird with pet adoptions..... It's not enough to be willing and able to give an animal a good home, you have to adopt the core values of some amorphous animal lovers' society in order to qualify.... There's one place here that has their animals on a vegetarian diet and you have to sign that you will keep them on such a diet before you can adopt one of them.... I wonder if the pet police come 'round to analyze their food bowls to make sure there's no meat residue in there....

:iagree:

....no, dogs aren't carnivores or anything, are they? :lol:

This is standard at the humane society here. The animals from there come already spayed/neutered so that part is not an issue. We were told when we adopted out kitty that she could only be an indoor cat. She had been a stray for 3 years beore they got her and they only had her a few months when we adopted her. We agreed to keep her indoors, BUT I also knew she would not thrive that way. She is now a very happy indoor/outdoor kitty. They have their mandate to say the pets they adopt out are to be kept a certain way, but int he end it will be you caring for the pet not them and only you will know the best way to have that animal thrive in your family unit. SO give the answers they want but then do things your way within reason of course (meaning do not leave you puppy outdoors in terrible weather, have a well insulated dog house etc. As for the cat's you have I can see their concern about them not being fixed, after all look at allt eh cats/kittens they have to find homes for due to owners not spaying/neutering their animals. I assume they are not looking for documented proof that your pets are fixed, just a yes or no answer right? SO next time you go back answer that they are.

I had to take all 4 kids to my last ultrasound. I have a tattoo I don't talk about. So far, nobody else has, either, but I'm finding it hard to believe they ALL missed it.

(Dh is usually there to keep eyes averted!)

When I was pregnant with Child #2 my oldest saw the stretch marks on my stomach and said,"You're really startin' to look like a tiger!". :lol: The really funny thing is that she said it with a sense of awe, like it was the coolest thing she had ever seen. Yep, that's me......cool and tiger-striped. :tongue_smilie:

When I was pregnant with Child #2 my oldest saw the stretch marks on my stomach and said,"You're really startin' to look like a tiger!". :lol: The really funny thing is that she said it with a sense of awe, like it was the coolest thing she had ever seen. Yep, that's me......cool and tiger-striped. :tongue_smilie:

Martha, I expect you to NEVER EVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS allow yourself to remember the tiger stripe story if I ever get to meet you IRL, okay?.....okay!?!?!

*I* am the last person to ever comment on another woman's stripes.

Ever. I mean, then you might ask about my stripes. Talk about no win situations! :blush:

How do you know it's unhealthy for anyone in this family?

Perhaps this person understands her own limits. I don't have any problem with parents using 'good' fulltime child care.

Every family has their own particular needs.

There's healthy time apart and unhealthy time apart. The lady you described is definately on the unhealthy end...

ducking and running

Edited by LibraryLover

Locks on the bathroom doors. :001_smile:

still doesn't happen here. If I don't have a kid, I have a dog or a cat; with a kid talking to me through the door. :001_smile:

Also, I have a confession. sometimes I will sit in my car, in a dark garage, with the seat reclined, and talk to a good friend. If someone comes to check out in the garage for me, I stop talking. Once the door is shut, I laugh. Also, sometimes I go out to the barn and watch people looking for me outside from the barn window. Sometimes I laugh so hard I about...... well, you know. I'm getting older now.

All this confessing to say that sometimes I get a REAL peaceful break right here at home.

:D

Barns are amazing places. I heart my barn. lol Sometimes dh and I hide from the children, in there, together...

still doesn't happen here. If I don't have a kid, I have a dog or a cat; with a kid talking to me through the door. :001_smile:

Also, I have a confession. sometimes I will sit in my car, in a dark garage, with the seat reclined, and talk to a good friend. If someone comes to check out in the garage for me, I stop talking. Once the door is shut, I laugh. Also, sometimes I go out to the barn and watch people looking for me outside from the barn window. Sometimes I laugh so hard I about...... well, you know. I'm getting older now.

All this confessing to say that sometimes I get a REAL peaceful break right here at home.

:D

ducking and running

Perhaps this person understands her own limits. I don't have any problem with parents using 'good' fulltime child care.

Uh...OK.

I assume they are not looking for documented proof that your pets are fixed, just a yes or no answer right? SO next time you go back answer that they are.

I have a problem with lying which this would fall into. I am not going to lie even when I disagree with the rules.

SO give the answers they want but then do things your way within reason of course (meaning do not leave you puppy outdoors in terrible weather, have a well insulated dog house etc. As for the cat's you have I can see their concern about them not being fixed, after all look at allt eh cats/kittens they have to find homes for due to owners not spaying/neutering their animals. I assume they are not looking for documented proof that your pets are fixed, just a yes or no answer right? SO next time you go back answer that they are.

You'd do that in front of your kids?!

The animals belong to the shelter. It is not okay to lie to them so that they will give you something of theirs. Really, the sense of entitlement from some on this thread just boggles my mind.

They are not a healthy family. But you're right, the kids in that family are probably better off spending their time with the nanny rather than the mom.

Barns are amazing places. I heart my barn. lol Sometimes dh and I hide from the children, in there, together...

Some of my favorite childhood memories are playing hide and seek in the barn. I still love the smell of fresh hay. Not so much the mice that occasionally ran out of the grain bins when we opened the doors. :001_smile:

They are not a healthy family. But you're right, the kids in that family are probably better off spending their time with the nanny rather than the mom.

As you wrote, full time care may not be the norm for people in her situation, but sometimes one makes choices beased on less bad. It's not the norm to drown all of one's children in the bathtub, either. If a person understands their limits, it's better for all. Not optimal, perhaps, but less bad.

Some of my favorite childhood memories are playing hide and seek in the barn. I still love the smell of fresh hay. Not so much the mice that occasionally ran out of the grain bins when we opened the doors. :001_smile:

We have barn cats...the only mice I've seen are dead ones...lalalalalalalalalala

Finally, someone understands what I was trying (in my not-so-articulate-way) to say. This is exactly the type of situation I was referring to. And I do know of several moms with this type of situation.

Of course, I was not referring to an occasional babysitter situation- that would be ridiculous. I'm not saying moms should spend every waking moment taking care of their children- just that calling yourself a stay-at-home mom when your kids are in day-care full-time, or being cared for by someone else, is a farce.

Well...she's a mom, who stays at home ..in the sense she doesn't work outside the home...although her children are not at home.

Let's see...At Home Mom With Kids in Child Care. AHMWKCC? Or maybe At Home Mom With Kids in School = AHMWKS Seems a mouththful. I'll have to work on this...:D It's like they are Mrs Brady (who even had Alice!) or June Cleaver, Beaver's Mom. Maybe that's it. JCBCMM= June Cleaver Beaver's Mom Mom. Still doesn't roll off the tongue.

Finally, someone understands what I was trying (in my not-so-articulate-way) to say. This is exactly the type of situation I was referring to. And I do know of several moms with this type of situation.

Of course, I was not referring to an occasional babysitter situation- that would be ridiculous. I'm not saying moms should spend every waking moment taking care of their children- just that calling yourself a stay-at-home mom when your kids are in day-care full-time, or being cared for by someone else, is a farce.

If you get a Great Pyre or turkish Akbash, you never have to worry if they 'want' to be outside-believe me, they do. it's what they're bread for and what they excell at. They want to be with hteir animals, and not in the house with you.

I have a lab and a dobie and they're both inside dogs. Elephants, but I have the house for it. They don't go out without a leash-EVER. Not for them, but because people around here allow their dogs loose in thier unfenced yards and I don't want a lawsuit.

I have a Pyr who hates being outside, separated from her flock (my kids). She goes out, barks, pees, and runs back in. Pyrs and other LGD have to imprint on their flocks when they are puppies, otherwise they imprint on humans - that is how my mom ended up with her Pyr - he bonded to the farmer's kids and not the sheep, so she adopted him out.

Cassie is a Pyr x Akbash. She is seriously devoted to our family, esp our kids. She loses her mind if the kids are outside w/out her.

We plan on getting another LGD when we have livestock, and raising the pups w/the livestock. So, the will be outside dogs, cause thats what they're for. No good LGD would leave their post, no matter the weather. I fully expect to keep animals in the barn when weather is horrid, I don't want any of them to get frostbite, etc.