Menu

Starting to Get a Little Weepy....

Hockey Mom

DD moves onto the campus in 5 days. She's been going through her things and getting stuff organized (what she's taking, what she's storing, etc). I thought that since she's usually not home during evenings and weekends (she works two jobs), that this would be a somewhat easy transition. The closer we get to 'moving day', the more resistant I'm feeling. I actually surprised by this emotion. She's my oldest, and I've been mentally preparing for this for a year now. And yet...here I am. Feeling nostalgic, worried, excited, happy for her, and sad - all rolled into one.

And the crazy part? She's attending a university that is only an hour's drive.

I've given her roots, and for the most part, I've given her wings too. But now when she flies, she'll be starting her new life.

Anyway...just wanted to see if there are others out there who've experienced this as well. All of my RL friends have children who are much younger than DD, and they don't really understand it yet.

:grouphug:\

Nothing to offer but hugs. When ds moved to school, less than 1 hr away, I missed him, but it was time for him to go! It was good to help him get his stuff together on this step towards independence (even though I was not real good with the co-ed by suite dorm thing!) He visits, we talk on the phone, we visit him at school, he calls his siblings; and all is well, though sometimes I REALLY miss him (until he decides to stay for several days!)

When/if dd goes, I know it will cut much deeper.

Mary

((((Hockey Mom)))))

I understand! I just moved my oldest three hours down the road yesterday. I was not sure how I would do...but it was a GREAT day! A couple of times I felt teary, but it was mainly because I was overwhelmed with joy seeing how very much she was in her element and really BELONGED there. I came home so excited for her!

This morning, when I got up and her bed was empty, I had a *moment*...but immediately thought of how at peace I am. It is time, this is right. It would not have been right to *keep her home*. :)

May you have *peace* :)

I was sitting on my couch starting to cry once again, when I decided to check the boards and see if anyone else was feeling the same way. Thank you for sharing. My dd is leaving in 10 days to go to Grove City College which is 10 hours away from home. She visited many schools and we have no doubt that GCC is where she should be, but now that the time has come I am feeling incredibly sad. I will only have one child left at home, and I'm worried about how the dynamic in our family will change. She and her sister are so close. I feel sad thinking of homeschooling only one child and I worry about loneliness for her and for me. I am so grateful that I've had the opportunity to homeschool. I have so many precious memories, but now I'm wondering what the next phase of life will look like. This is a very bittersweet time. I'm truly excited for all the experiences my eldest will have in college, but I hate to see her go. Some days I really feel like I'm going to fall apart. Sorry to be such a downer. Thanks for listening.

I'm getting weepy too!

Hockey Mom...:grouphug: When dd #1 went away 2 years ago, I cried for days and felt so many mixed emotions I didn't even know exactly what I was crying about! Now dd #2 is getting ready to join her sister. Their college is only one hour away too, but it is still a bittersweet time. Some things will never be the same again, but after you see her growing and thriving it will all be so exciting that you'll love this new stage of life.

One consolation is that after a few months, everyone is tired of dorm food and they start asking if they can come to our house. I hosted a Christmas cookie decorating, a unit slumber party, and several "We just need to get out of this dorm!" weekends for dd's friends. I even brought the whole unit a pot of soup when they got swine flu last fall!

My dd's move in on Tues and Fri this week. I'll be crying with you. :grouphug:

I just haven't been able to keep the teary moments at bay the last couple of days--they hit me frequently, like when I walked into her room the other day (she was at her work, and I had just gotten home from my work) only to find that she had taken most of her wall decor down. I dissolved into a puddle of tears, b/c I don't have any pictures of what her room looked like when it was all decorated. Now it feels a bit desolate. :crying:

I have to get a grip before she gets up! Today is her last day home, and I don't want her to feel bad.

I'm truly excited for her, but we are going to miss her like crazy.

(And I tell ya', it truly stinks that we've all had to work this summer. Her last summer at home, and I've barely seen her, what with odd work schedules, and her need to spend time with friends for their "last hurrah.")

Sigh!

Hugs to everyone else feeling the loss.

I will only have one child left at home, and I'm worried about how the dynamic in our family will change. She and her sister are so close. I feel sad thinking of homeschooling only one child and I worry about loneliness for her and for me. I am so grateful that I've had the opportunity to homeschool. I have so many precious memories, but now I'm wondering what the next phase of life will look like. This is a very bittersweet time. I'm truly excited for all the experiences my eldest will have in college, but I hate to see her go. Some days I really feel like I'm going to fall apart. Sorry to be such a downer. Thanks for listening.

I could have written this exactly, word for word, except that my last one is a boy. My last two refer to themselves as twins separated by three years. I'm more concerned for him than I am for myself, and that's saying a lot, b/c "having it together" is not a word I'd use to refer to myself right now.

The majority (two exceptions) of my peer group of non-homeschooling moms have no clue how close we grow to our kids and how hard it is to be apart from them. The talk I hear from everyone else reflects emotional distance and relief that the young adults are leaving. Gaaah!

Wishing us both a good transition!

Valerie,

You're exactly right. I've had non-homeschooling people chuckle about how excited I must be for her to leave! I'm dumbfounded when I hear things like that. Homeschooling has made our family so close. I feel like a part of me is leaving. There have been times when I've wondered if hs-ing has been good for my emotional health, but when I see what well-adjusted kids I've been blessed with, I know that we made the right decision. The leaving is going to be very difficult, but I feel hs-ing has prepared her well for the future, and ultimately that's what matters. I'll be praying for you and all the other moms sending of their kids in the coming days. These boards have been such a blessing.

I'll be praying for all of you because I also have been crying with all of you as I read your posts.

Yes, these boards are a blessing. In my area, I have homeschooling moms that can't wait to be done. That is why these boards have been my support group. No one can relate to the way I feel about homeschooling.

I'm still 2 years away from my ds going but I start crying when I look at different colleges.

I have 2ds that are close and I think about how it will all change. This summer ds16 was away for 2 weeks and we could feel the difference.

Reading your post about your 2dd being close and how different it would be, etc., it was as if I was hearing myself speak.

I just want to tell all of you ladies what a great source of inspiration and encouragement you all are to those of us going after you.

May God bless all of you and your children. May your new college freshman have a truly wonderful experience. May you all see the fruit of your labor. You are all truly remarkable women.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Thanks for your wisdom. Thanks for all the counsel. Thanks for taking the time to care and share.

Maury (a mom)