Menu

German Grammar Question

rieshy

I posted this on the wrong forum by mistake. I'm reposting here. Hope that doesn't irritate anyone.

Anyone willing to diagram this sentence for me?

"Manchmal fragte ich mich, ob ich mit meinen Augen dieselben Dinge sah wie der Rest der Welt."

specifically "wie der Rest der Welt"

Thanks so much!

(DISCLAIMER: I don't really know German, and I'm not totally sure what you're asking, but as nobody is replying, I'll give it a shot.)

Manchmal (Adv.)

fragte (V, predicate of the main clause)

ich (personal pronoun, in fuction of a subject of the main clause)

mich (personal pronoun in function of an indirect object)

ob (Con.)

ich (personal pronoun, in function of a subject of the subordinate clause)

mit (Prep.)

meinen (possessive adjective/pronoun)

Augen (noun)

dieselben (adj.)

Dinge (noun)

sah (verb, pret.)

wie (adv.)

der (art.)

Rest (noun)

der (art.)

Welt (noun)

Basically the sentence is "Sometimes I asked myself if I saw with my eyes the same things as the rest of the world", so if I messed up something above, see what it should be English.

Regarding wie der Rest der Welt, it's "as the rest of the world". If we're to get really technically, "the rest of the world" is a nominal syntagm, the system that I normally use (and didn't use here) is diagramming that way, so I'd mark it as such, but I suppose you don't need that.

Nominal syntagm? Great. Didn't even know that phrase- good thing to be able to look up and try to learn.

Sorry my question wasn't clear.

The meaning of the sentence was clear-what I wasn't sure about was the parts of speech and cases in "of the rest of the world".

So if wie is an adverb ... der Rest is nominative and der Welt is genitive?

I have to admit that part of my initial problem was that I was thinking that "Rest" was feminine. It makes much more sense now. I was stuck thinking that wie was being used as a preposition and had a dative case preference that I couldn't find in my dictionary.

But is wie an adverb or a conjuction?

Thanks all.

... der Rest is nominative and der Welt is genitive?

Yes.

Logically at least it's NOM then GEN, maybe grammatically I'm wrong though (like I said, I didn't really study German much as a kid and that little they forced me to study I gave up as soon as I could - shame on me :( - so most of my "knowledge" is really wild guessing or stuff I've internalized from real life at some point; you should ask cathmom or somebody else who knows actually knows German about the grammatical details :)).

It makes much more sense now. I was stuck thinking that wie was being used as a preposition and had a dative case preference that I couldn't find in my dictionary.

But is wie an adverb or a conjuction?

It's context-dependent, I believe. Not really my German knowledge speaking but my knowledge of other languages, but I believe the basic layer is an adverb, and it can take the role of conjunction in some cases. I understand it like Italian "come".

Okay I'll quit rambling, don't want to damage my 'reputation' here. :D I hope I didn't confuse you, and I really hope somebody more knowledgeable answers. The way I understand it, it's how I wrote, but with German I can never be sure.

"wie der Rest der Welt"

Wie here seems to me to be a subordinating conjunction that begins the clause that should read "wie der Rest der Welt sah." It should then also be set off with a comma.

der Rest is nominative as the subject of the clause

der Welt is genitive, meaning "of the world"