Menu

TT Pre-Algebra in 6th grade???

Can that be right?? My son is 11 (just turned 11) and is mid way through CLE math 5. He is getting burned out on CLE and I thought that maybe we could change to TT for a bit (or longer?) to give him a bit of a change from the hum-drum. Well...he tested easily in the TT pre-algebra. :confused: If I "love" TT and keep going, that would mean he would finish calculus in 10th grade. Surely that won't work! ???

Anyone have any thoughts on this (or BTDT stories)??

From what I understand in reading tons about TT, it is supposed to be about a year or so behind many other math programs, although it's supposed to be a very good. Check the table of contents for topics covered and compare to what topics you think your ds should be doing. That should help with your decision.

Why should it not work if he's ready?

I don't know TT - but my DD did algebra 1 and some algebra 2 in 7th grade. She will do alg 2 and geometry in 8th grade - and we'll take it from there.

My 11 y/o DS has completed Saxon 8/7 with pre-algebra in 5th grade and has begun working on algebra for 6th grade.

There is nothing wrong with calculus in 10th grade if the kids is capable - and it's not the "end" of math: there is multi-variable calculus, statistics, number theory, differential equations ... If your son is ahead of schedule, it can free him up to explore topics that are not covered in the traditional math curriculum.

regentrude

My mathy ds will be doing TT pre-algebra in grade 6. My TT experience is that a mathy kid should be working at least 2 levels ahead, and an average kid should be working 1 level ahead. OTOH, I noticed that the latest release, TT3, seems more on grade level than the other TT's we've used, so that's what I'm using for my 3rd grader.

My mathy ds will be doing TT pre-algebra in grade 6. My TT experience is that a mathy kid should be working at least 2 levels ahead, and an average kid should be working 1 level ahead. OTOH, I noticed that the latest release, TT3, seems more on grade level than the other TT's we've used, so that's what I'm using for my 3rd grader.

I agree about TT3...it is definitely a bit advanced for my "just starting 2nd grade-er"...of course, he is also the "non-mathy" type.

I agree about TT3...it is definitely a bit advanced for my "just starting 2nd grade-er"...of course, he is also the "non-mathy" type.

Good to know it's not just my imagination! :lol: I figured that the TT folks caved in to the pressure to make the course number match the grade level.