Menu

How do you pronounce Apologia?

texasmama

I have heard two different pronunciations and now I am nervous about saying it out loud because I don't want to seem ignorant if I am not saying it correctly. :tongue_smilie:

1. Uh-pol-uh-gee-uh (with the main emphasis on the gee)

2. A-puh-loh-gee-uh (with the main emphasis on the loh)

3. other...please do tell:D

I usually pronounce it like # 1 b/c that's how most people think it's pronounced, and they look at me like I don't know how to pronounce the word. :lol: It's actually pronounced like # 2.

Sometimes, I pronounce like # 2 and explain that it's the really pronunciation.

I'm trying to find where I learned this. Here's a site that has it: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=apologia

I have heard two different pronunciations and now I am nervous about saying it out loud because I don't want to seem ignorant if I am not saying it correctly. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by nestof3

Ok so after sitting here and saying it out loud like 15 times (and my kids looking at me like I have lost it :D) I would have to say like #1 with slight emphasis on the gee :001_smile:

:lol: I googled it and after my casual research, it seems that #1 is "correct". Then I went to the Apologia site and submitted the question to their customer support. :D I will let you know the answer! (Surely this is not the first time they have encountered this inquiry...)

I never questioned my pronunciation until a lady from the homeschool co op pronounced it like #2. I have always pronounced it like #1. Now I have terrible fear of getting it wrong.:tongue_smilie:

I thought it was a Latin word, and was pronouncing it that way, with the stress on the next-to-last syllable. I guess if you use classical pronunciation for Latin, you'd have a hard G sound. I use ecclesiastical, so I use the soft version. But it's Greek, so what do you do?

I say it ah-poll-ah-GEE-uh.

Edited by cani e porci

In my head I've always said it this way. "Apology" plus "uh" at the end, with an emphasis on the GEE (soft g). I've never used it, nor (as a Christian who accepts evolution) will I ever use it, so I have no idea if my way is correct. :)

I thought it was a Latin word, and was pronouncing it that way, with the stress on the next-to-last syllable. I guess if you use classical pronunciation for Latin, you'd have a hard G sound. I use ecclesiastical, so I use the soft version. But it's Greek, so what do you do?

I say it ah-poll-ah-GEE-uh.

Now see, I thought it was Greek. Wasn't it AbbeyJ who gave the reason for pronouncing it apple-oh-jee-a awhile back? I'm pretty sure she's a Greek expert!

Now see, I thought it was Greek. Wasn't it AbbeyJ who gave the reason for pronouncing it apple-oh-jee-a awhile back? I'm pretty sure she's a Greek expert!

Was that on the old boards? I remember that discussion and I was trying to remember if it was before or after the board change.

I think Abbey is pretty well versed in both Greek and Latin. :001_smile:

I thought it was like #2 until a friend said it was #1. After reading this thread, am I correct in saying we were both right?:lol:

I received the answer to my inquiry to Apologia this morning. Here it is:

Thank you for your email. Apologia is pronounced uh-pah(as in

Ma and Pa)-low-gee-uh.

Have a great day!!

In Christ,

Becky Edmondson

Instructor, Apologia Acadamy

So #1 it is! (Except that I was pronouncing the third syllable luh instead of low.) I can breathe easier now.:lol: (Though I will still worry that the people who are pronouncing it like #2 thik I am doing it incorrectly.:tongue_smilie:)

When I went to the homeschool conference the people at the Apologia booth said it like number 1,

like apology -uh.

I figure they would know how they want it said.

---

ETA: That's what I get for not reading through the thread before answering. The Apologia folks had already been contacted.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I received the answer to my inquiry to Apologia this morning. Here it is:

Thank you for your email. Apologia is pronounced uh-pah(as in

Ma and Pa)-low-gee-uh.

Have a great day!!

In Christ,

Becky Edmondson

Instructor, Apologia Acadamy

So #1 it is! (Except that I was pronouncing the third syllable luh instead of low.) I can breathe easier now.:lol: (Though I will still worry that the people who are pronouncing it like #2 thik I am doing it incorrectly.:tongue_smilie:)

But. But. How do you say Low instead of luh without accenting the Low? The luh sound is because of a schwa if that syllable is unaccented, no? And because the email did not indicate an accented syllable, I am still left wondering. :tongue_smilie:

But. But. How do you say Low instead of luh without accenting the Low? The luh sound is because of a schwa if that syllable is unaccented, no? And because the email did not indicate an accented syllable, I am still left wondering. :tongue_smilie:

If you pronounce it uh-PA-low-GI-uh, the PA and GI are accented, but not the low.

:iagree: