Menu

Anyone go through SOTW more slowly than recommended? Happy with decision? Unhappy?

Halcyon

We're making our way through SOTW 2 now, and we really enjoy it. We enjoy reading the extra books, doing some projects, talking about what we've read. We initially strove to do 1 chapter a week, but that's proved difficult. Ideally, I'd like to take 2 weeks per chapter, but of course, we'll "fall behind" (I use that term very loosely....)

Has anyone else gone more slowly through SOTW? I know we revisit everything twice more as we go through the cycle, so should we really just pick up the pace?

Thoughts?

Well, for me, Oak Meadow is my main curriculum. SOTW is something I'm doing on the side for fun with my 9 y/o. So, with that said, I don't put any pressure or stress on myself (or my daughter) over it. We get to it as we get to it, we take as much time as we want to or need to getting through each chapter (and the various supplemental reading books and whichever of the activities and projects we want to do), and when we're ready, we move on.

Sometimes we might get through a chapter in a week. Sometimes it takes several weeks. We just go with the flow.

It's working fine for us.

I think you should do it on whatever schedule works for you without feeling stressed over it. That might vary depending on the given week, month or whatever. :)

Yeah. I gave up on the 4-year cycle a long time ago. My kids aren't staggered correctly for it all to work, and I didn't have it in me to be running 3 different history eras at the same time, so...

We're over halfway through the 3rd volume. The coming 2 years, we're finishing SOTW3, SOTW4, and All American History, volumes 1 and 2 - for my girls.

My son (just started 2nd grade) is beginning SOTW1 this year. I anticipate a year-and-a-half because I know we are going to spend a ton of time with Mythology.

My dd did them in roughly 6 years. I have never regretted taking longer. We loved being able to do a few crafts and read some extra books as we went along. Before starting the high school history cycle, she is doing a year of American History. Along the way we have also filled in some government stuff and unit study stuff through a local co-op (not tons, but just enough to make our progression with SOTW a bit slower.) Six years ended up being a good fit for us.

We took longer but still fit in the 4 year cycle. We just went almost 52 weeks a year - and my kids loved it. I couldn't figure out how to do it exactly as written. I understand that it's Story of the WORLD - a lot tp cover, but there were just some topics that needed way more time than one week (or half a week). I don't think I'd "Plan" two weeks per chapter" though it certainly lends itself to that. Some chapters just didn't interest my kids all the much - we called them touch and go chapters. Good to touch on, but not dwell on. Others we could spend 4 weeks on or more still want more. The beauty of SOTW is that it doesn't feel like school. It's an interesting story that my kids ask me to read to them each day.

I know what you mean. Volumes 2 & 3 really feel like they could be done comfortably in a year and a half to me. If I were using it a spine with my oldest I would probably spread the 4 volumes over 6 years. As it is I began TOG with him in 5th grade and now I'm trying to keep all of the kids together, so...

I skip some chapters or sections of chapters.:leaving:

We took longer but still fit in the 4 year cycle. We just went almost 52 weeks a year - and my kids loved it. I couldn't figure out how to do it exactly as written. I understand that it's Story of the WORLD - a lot tp cover, but there were just some topics that needed way more time than one week (or half a week). I don't think I'd "Plan" two weeks per chapter" though it certainly lends itself to that. Some chapters just didn't interest my kids all the much - we called them touch and go chapters. Good to touch on, but not dwell on. Others we could spend 4 weeks on or more still want more. The beauty of SOTW is that it doesn't feel like school. It's an interesting story that my kids ask me to read to them each day.

I agree-there are some chapters that at this point in my kid's life, I don't think he needs to know a ton about. But other chapters I feel are more critical at this age....