Menu

Update on Apologia's Young Explorer's kits...

sheryl

I posted earlier today about these science kits. While it would be nice to order it and be done with it, my new budget dictates I gather the materials. After looking at the books, it's really most of everything we have anyway. Other things can be picked up free like the kiddie balloons at major grocery stores. Keep an eye out at yard sales. Buy 5 jelly beans through bulk foods at a grocery store instead of a whole bag. I'm thinking this will not be too hard and waaaaaay less expensive.

They did note to buy at science materials stores, so I'll check there too.

Anyone else make your own? Sheryl <><

I always make my own! I just am somebody who does not spend money I dont have to! IMHO, That is an unnecessary expense! (I am dutch LOL :lol:- the expression lets go dutch is not just an expression LOL)

It has worked well for us! We have done just about every experiment there is. I do think we will be buying the anatomy kit though, I have to look closer to see exactly what is in it first!

I replied to the other thread, but I'll do so here too! We've gathered what we need for Zoology 1 and Astronomy, and that wasn't too hard. The one that I'm going to buy is Botany, so that I don't have to come up with dandelion tufts in the winter and stuff like that. :)

I always make my own! I just am somebody who does not spend money I dont have to! IMHO, That is an unnecessary expense! (I am dutch LOL :lol:- the expression lets go dutch is not just an expression LOL) :lol::lol: Funny, my Mom used to say the same thing..."it's my Scotch in me". HA!

It has worked well for us! We have done just about every experiment there is. I do think we will be buying the anatomy kit though, I have to look closer to see exactly what is in it first!

Got it and thanks to you both!! Sheryl <><

I have to admit that I couldn't afford the ones that were $70 and $80 and I didn't want it to be like last year when we skipped experiments b/c of not having supplies...so I ordered the one that was $30 with shipping from home training tools. It doesn't give the common place items just the ones you would have to go looking for anyway.

I know I would never keep up with trying to get it together ahead of time.

I have to admit that I couldn't afford the ones that were $70 and $80 and I didn't want it to be like last year when we skipped experiments b/c of not having supplies...so I ordered the one that was $30 with shipping from home training tools. It doesn't give the common place items just the ones you would have to go looking for anyway.

I know I would never keep up with trying to get it together ahead of time.

BTW, the only reason I'm planning on buying the botany kit is because I'll have birthday money. My regular HS budget does not allow for such big purchases normally. (Well, it would, if I could resist trying out new things all the time...)

I put my own together too. For A&P I did buy a basic kit that came with blood typing sets because that was one experiment I didn't want my kids to miss out on.

Thanks to ALL 3. I may then look for a very basic kit like Openminded, since I will have to buy piecemeal for some of those speciality items. However, I don't want to waste money on duplicates. Do you have a specific link to send for the one you bought? Thanks. Sheryl <><