Menu

help.. did I handle this right??? ( Girl stuff)Sorry kinda long..

Okay so my little baby is going to be 10 this month!! she is such a "young" 10 .. plays with dolls, not into boys at all! No clue about the whole "puberty" thing..

Anyway.. We went to some yard sales this morning and she bought a few books. In the books was a "girl" book. After browsing through it (while she was outside) , I realized it was all about "growing up" which Im sure she doesnt have a clue about.

anyway.. She just grabbed the books and went in the other room to read them. I let her go.. and was thinking what do I say??

so I walked in and she quickly grab bed another book.. so I know she was reading it. anyway.. I said to her oh.. whats this book about and I thumbed through it. then I said.. oh this is a great book... (thinking that we have to address this topic at some point) she looked at me funny and said it is? She had a smirk.. like she was kind of embarrassed. So I said its all about the changes that your body goes through when you grow up.. like growing boobies.. ;) and I said.. that its nothing to be embarrassed about , that we all go through it!

Then she asked if she should read it.. I said.,, if you feel comfortable and want to you can , or you can hold on to it and read it when you feel like your ready too. and she said okay.. I said when you do read it, then if you have any questions you can ask me.

so she said okay.. looking slightly embarrassed.. but then I said.. okay,, so just keep it. and then I started looking at her other books. so it was okay I think. (she then said.. love you mom :D) I Hope I handled this okay.. Ive been thinking about for a while as she is getting older,, even though I dont like to admit it to myself. uggg.. :tongue_smilie:

Bless your heart! I think you did great!

My dd just turned 10 and she's a young 10 too. Was the book "The Care and Keeping of you"? If so, it's fine. Not about s3x at all. But it does have a two page spread on tampons and how to insert them, so I kept the book and we read parts together. Then I recently told her about periods and those changes and now I am ready for her to have the book in her room. My dd is VERY shy and modest about these things, so for us it's best for her to have the privacy of reading a book like that and then talking to me later - which I hope she does. I also got an idea from this forum about having a journal that we can pass back and forth with questions and discussions about things she too embarrassed to ask me about face to face.

These are tough but sweet times I think!:grouphug:

Sounds like you did okay :) I'm glad it came up and that you managed to have a discussion with her, because by 10, puberty changes can come on much more suddenly and unexpectedly than you might think, and a girl that age should definitely have some clue as to what's coming before it comes! So I think it's good that the issue was brought to the forefront at this time. I know those kinds of conversations can be awkward!

Bless your heart! I think you did great!

My dd just turned 10 and she's a young 10 too. Was the book "The Care and Keeping of you"? If so, it's fine. Not about s3x at all. But it does have a two page spread on tampons and how to insert them, so I kept the book and we read parts together. Then I recently told her about periods and those changes and now I am ready for her to have the book in her room. My dd is VERY shy and modest about these things, so for us it's best for her to have the privacy of reading a book like that and then talking to me later - which I hope she does. I also got an idea from this forum about having a journal that we can pass back and forth with questions and discussions about things she too embarrassed to ask me about face to face.

These are tough but sweet times I think!:grouphug:

Thank you !! :001_smile: your so right.

It was not that book, I actually think that must be the book that I bought several months back, because it had the tampon pages.. and I was holding that book trying to decide for the right time.

The book she bought was different. I think its actually a great book. But the whole idea just crushed me! :sad: my little girl has to grow up.. I was trying to hold off.. but I know that she has to be prepared.;)

thanks for the hugs!! :001_smile:

I think that is a fine first "talk".:001_smile: It is time that she receive appropriate information about the changes in her body. This doesn't need to involve the "sex" talk if you don't feel it is time for that, just the information about menstrual cycles, hair growing in places it didn't grow before, deodorant, etc.

You did great!

It is awkward to talk about growing up, isn't it? My girls have read The Care and Keeping of You and it has really helped them to feel more comfortable about talking about it to me.

Yeah my daughter and I read that book together last year for "health," at age 9, for 4th grade.

It's called: "The Body Book, The Care & Keeping Of You" and it's by American Girl Library. We also read the one called "The Feelings Book, The Care & Keeping Of Your Emotions" at the same time (I think that was what it was called).

Both did a good job of talking about various emotional and physical changes girls will be going through, what to expect, answers FAQ's and concerns they might have, etc., but does not go into sex. It's stuff like hair and deodorant and pimples and periods and how to use tampax and pads and hair care and exercise and teeth and braces and developing breasts (and their various shapes and sizes) and so on and so forth.

Thanks everyone for you support. Its soo hard to think about her growing up. But Im glad that it just kind of happened and I dealt with it. Now she has the book in her hands and I feel better knowing she has an idea of whats going to begin to happen. She also has 2 girl cousins that are 11 and 13. She very close with them. So they can all kind of go through it together. ;)

My oldest LOVED The Care and Keeping of You. I got it for her at 9yo and told her that we could go through it together or she could read through it on her own and just ask me questions. She decided to read through it on her own, but she came to me with lots of questions, so I knew that she was actually reading it.

I had her pass it to her next sister when she turned 9yo. She read through it, but didn't see a lot of point to the book since she's already watched her older sister go through puberty.

My youngest wanted nothing whatsoever to do with the book. As the youngest with two older sisters, she felt she already knew FAR more than she wanted to know about all of it.