Menu

What k-12 scope & sequence model do you follow?

BearLair

Do you model your children's k-12 academic career after a particular k-12 scope & sequence?

Do you use a model specific to your home state for reference?

Does anyone follow a particular model from a homeschool resource (book/online site)?

I'm very interested in methods of developing a full '12 year' plan as a framework.

I don't even exactly know what you would call that type of plan so it's quite obvious I don't have one... and I am beginning to see a need for it!

Do you model your children's k-12 academic career after a particular k-12 scope & sequence?

No.

Does anyone follow a particular model from a homeschool resource (book/online site)?

I don't.

I'm very interested in methods of developing a full '12 year' plan as a framework.

I don't even exactly know what you would call that type of plan so it's quite obvious I don't have one... and I am beginning to see a need for it!

I wanted my dc to read well, and to learn as much as they could about all sorts of things, so that when they were older they would know the paths they wanted to take, and to have the wherewithall to do whatever their paths required to get them there. Following someone else's scope and sequence wouldn't necessarily guarantee that.

I follow TWTM; it is our Scope and Sequence! TWTM far exceeds any expectations from our ps system, so I know I'm doing the best for our sons by following it. I tweak it here and there with goals my husband and I set for our sons (such as participating in a public speaking league), as well as recommendations (books mainly) from this forum.

Pam

I personally do not use a scope and sequence. I try to find good curricula and stick with it (until I decide I do not like it anymore :001_smile:) We are doing our own version of WTM history. We generally do 1-2 books a year, but that way I can add in 2 complete years of Government (middle school and high school)

I do know alot of people who use this and think its a great scope and sequence to follow!

Read up on a bunch of different approaches and then decide which appeals to you. But don't be surprised if you wind up coming up with your own unique way of HS that draws upon multiple sources of inspiration.

Things that have influenced me:

The Well-Trained Mind, of course!

Design Your Own Classical Catholic Education by Laura Berquist

The Core Knowledge K-8 sequence

Charlotte Mason especially Ambleside Online and Mater Amabalis

Kolbe Academy booklist

My oldest fits more The Well Trained Mind scope & sequence.

My youngest follows this scope & sequence.

No. I have looked at the books at the library on state standards but we don't have to follow them and I found something that works better with my dc.

Does anyone follow a particular model from a homeschool resource(book/online site)?

I follow a combination of the Classical (The Well-Trained Mind) and Waldorf models.

I've tried to do that in the past and found that it was better to pick the curriculum year to year and really just keep things loose enough to just go from week to week.

Good luck.:001_smile:

TWTM.

We don't always follow each and every recommendation, but it's definitely my outline. I sometimes get a *little* nervous about their transitioning to public school (should that ever be a necessity), but I don't want to sacrifice what I see as a better education for "what ifs".

While my kids are very well versed in science and history and have solid writing and grammar programs, they don't match up with ps standards.

We're a mix of The Latin-Centered Curriculum, WTM, and my own creation. That's my scope and sequence. :D

I pulled the scope and sequence for the state a few years ago. It was written in educationese and after five minutes my head hurt. :tongue_smilie:I quit reading and went back to LCC and WTM.

I would say that I started with WTM as a foundation and tweaked until it fit us. I've been influenced by my dc and the curricula we've chosen to use. Our state TX, has no guidelines or requirements so it doesn't factor in at all. I have the idea that I'd like to send my boys to a private high school so that may become more of a factor as time goes on.