Menu

Can you make fruit cobbler/crisp with strawberries?

I have some strawberries that are just a teeny past their prime. I have a recipe for "fruit" crisp which normally I would make with apples or blueberries, but am wondering if it is acceptable to use strawberries in a recipe like this. It is your standard crisp recipe with flour, butter, brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon mixed together for a topping.

I have a recipe for "fruit" crisp which normally I would make with apples or blueberries, but am wondering if it is acceptable to use strawberries in a recipe like this. It is your standard crisp recipe with flour, butter, brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon mixed together for a topping.

Would you please share your crisp recipe, Kathleen. We have blueberries aplenty right now.

Regards,

Kareni

Did you make it yet? Curious how it turned out! I have some strawberries like that and could add some blueberries to it too.....

Dd17 vetoed strawberry cobbler so, no, I didn't make it. I have tons of blueberries in the freezer, though, so will probably get around to trying it with those later this week. Dd said strawberries should be eaten fresh, not cooked. Oh, well.:)

I had a bunch of extra berries, and I made a cobbler with mostly strawberries with blueberries mixed in, and it was surprisingly good. I am not much into the idea of cooked strawberries, but I almost couldn't tell what berry it was.

I freeze them for smoothies or make a quick jam (which is cooked!) with extra strawberries. Otherwise maybe strawberry shortcake?

I had a bunch of extra berries, and I made a cobbler with mostly strawberries with blueberries mixed in, and it was surprisingly good. I am not much into the idea of cooked strawberries, but I almost couldn't tell what berry it was.

I freeze them for smoothies or make a quick jam (which is cooked!) with extra strawberries. Otherwise maybe strawberry shortcake?

I ended up just sprinkling some sugar over them and serving them in dessert cups with some whipped cream. I will have to remember to freeze them next time, because I love smoothies. Not sure why that didn't occur to me. :)