Menu

What kind of dog should we get? (of course, it'll be adopted, not bought!)

Hi all-

I am on the last leg of convincing DH we need a dog :) I would only do rescue, and we'll likely be getting a mutt, but we're thinking a mutt that's primarily SOME breed....we just don't know what breed. Growing up, we always had labs, or lab mutts, along with one whippet mutt. But we need a smaller dog than that. My kids want a dog who will play with them, and fetch balls. My DH wants a dog that doesn't shed much and is CALM in the house (we won't be getting a small puppy) and isn't too demanding. I want a dog that is loveable, great with kids and can be left alone for a few hours without freaking out.

So....what general type of breed would fit the bill so we can start our search?

I think you should consider:

spaniels -

King Charles Cavalier for a little

English Springer for large (but still smaller than a lab)

I'd be wary of cockers, esp the American cockers as I'm hearing about tons of problems with their temperaments.

HWVR, an older rescue whose temperament is established & known, would be fine.

Ear care can be a headache with them & you do have to groom them - but unless you're showing, you can learn to do it yourself & it need not be expensive.

Poodles.

Poodles are fun & playful & smart. The mini (not toy) size is prob what you want. (standards are closer to lab size)

Around here we have lots of cockerxpoodle mutts. They're usually very sweet.

Also maybe consider corgis - pembroke or cardigan - they are herding dogs though & require exercise so it depends how much energy you're looking for in a dog. They may also nip (The Queen has said hers have bit her LOL)

We have a miniature schnauzer. He is a small, but sturdy little dog, and he doesn't shed. He's great with the kids, plays games with them, and they have taught him all kinds of tricks. He does well with being left at home. We've never had any issues with him chewing things. He also travels really well when we do take him places. We love him.

Edited by chrisjo
Added info

We grew up with poodles (toy and miniature). Great dog for allergies, scary-smart, and very loyal to their families. Our toy poodle, Bo, saved my brother from a neighbor's Rottweiler when it got loose and attacked him. That little 8-pound or so dog threw himself at the attacking Rottweiler that had my brother pinned to the ground, just went NUTS on that big dog, who let go of my brother and went after the poodle instead (he survived and the neighbors got rid of the Rotty). I have big love for poodles.

If I had the money to purchase, I would choose a Flanders Cattle Dog.:D

If I were rescuing\adopting I would choose a Miniature Poodle or a Miniature Schnauzer.

No shedding, but you have to get them groomed\clipped (unless you learn to do it yourself and save yourself a lot of money).

If you get a Schnauzer though be prepared to train it to be quiet if it hasn't already been trained. They are very vocal and always have to have the last word.:D

Both of these breeds are great around kids...IF they have been exposed to them. An older one who has spent the majority of it's life with only adults will have a hard time adapting to a house full of young children. Poodles, in my experience, have a higher level of tolerance.

Good Luck!

Poodle mixes are usually easy to come by at shelters and on petfinder and they are a great choice. We had a cock-a-poo (cocker spaniel/poodle mix) for years and now we have a standard poodle (at least mostly, but she was from a shelter so we aren't sure is she is pure or mixed). I have migraines and dog hair is a trigger. Poodles don't trigger them - yeah! They are smart, trainable, love to play and not overly neurotic :001_smile:. They come in all sizes, depending on the type of poodle and what it was mixed with, so you can find the size that fits your family.