Menu

So I finally received a letter back from the district (NY) ...

Thanking me for my LOI & asking me to return the enclosed forms ( IHIP) .

Hmm well I already sent my IHIP that I typed.. so should I just ignore their paper work and wait to hear back from them about the one I sent??

(Which they should of received before they even mailed me the letter I just received.)

(THis is NY ) thanks. :D

They also gave me forms to send the quarterly reports . Which ask for the hours? Do I really have to keep track o our hours for school???

Edited by Maddysmom26

Did you send your IHIP certified return receipt? If so, I would ignore them. If they call you on it you can tell them who signed for it and on what day. (this used to be a yearly thing for me in our previous district.

You do not have to use their form for quarterlies but I do. It is easy to fill out. I do not provide hours for individual subjects. I just divide the # of required hours by 4, I think it comes up to 225, and write that really big vertically through that column.

Did you send your IHIP certified return receipt? If so, I would ignore them. If they call you on it you can tell them who signed for it and on what day. (this used to be a yearly thing for me in our previous district.

You do not have to use their form for quarterlies but I do. It is easy to fill out. I do not provide hours for individual subjects. I just divide the # of required hours by 4, I think it comes up to 225, and write that really big vertically through that column.

Yes, I sent the IHIP Certified. ( and I also noted on the outside that the IHIP was enclosed)

So I think I will just wait and see what they say. Their forms for the quarterly reports seem kind of simple, it was just the hours that made me wonder. I was thinking of doing what you said just divide the required and put that if I use their form. Which I may. ;)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! :D

I ignored when that happened to me, and discovered that it's a form mailing...they don't really care whether you use their district's forms or not. Just keep the cover letter. Use it to get teacher discount cards at places like Barnes and Noble, which requires it as proof that you homeschool.

Yes, I sent the IHIP Certified. ( and I also noted on the outside that the IHIP was enclosed)

So I think I will just wait and see what they say. Their forms for the quarterly reports seem kind of simple, it was just the hours that made me wonder. I was thinking of doing what you said just divide the required and put that if I use their form. Which I may. ;)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! :D

I don't think the law says you have to use their forms, but then NY is more persnickety than other states. :tongue_smilie: As an HSLDA member, *I* would call and ask if that's required, even though the forms look simple.

I never use the forms the district sends me, since they always seem to ask for much more than the required information. And as for the hours thing, I never break it up between subjects. If I did, I'd be lying. I just put down "Cumulative hours: 225+."

You may want to make a call to remind the superintendent's secretary that you sent the IHIP. Be sweet, but firm, and let them know it was sent certified mail, so you're certain they received it. Remember that they have another two weeks to get back to you with "approval" of the IHIP, so you might not get the letter right away, but you do need to know that they received it before the deadline for you (8-15.) I always take my forms in in person, get my copy signed and dated, and have a short chat with the secretaries. That way, if anything ever does disappear, at least they'll (hopefully) remember that I was there, and I have a signature.

It does get easier- honest! After a while, you just go on autopilot with all the forms and such. Hang in there!:)

I never use the forms the district sends me, since they always seem to ask for much more than the required information. And as for the hours thing, I never break it up between subjects. If I did, I'd be lying. I just put down "Cumulative hours: 225+."

You may want to make a call to remind the superintendent's secretary that you sent the IHIP. Be sweet, but firm, and let them know it was sent certified mail, so you're certain they received it. Remember that they have another two weeks to get back to you with "approval" of the IHIP, so you might not get the letter right away, but you do need to know that they received it before the deadline for you (8-15.) I always take my forms in in person, get my copy signed and dated, and have a short chat with the secretaries. That way, if anything ever does disappear, at least they'll (hopefully) remember that I was there, and I have a signature.

It does get easier- honest! After a while, you just go on autopilot with all the forms and such. Hang in there!:)

Thank you~! your right! Im sure like everything else once its done a few times it becomes familiar and routine.

I appreciate everyones help. I double checked the certified mail and the IHIP I sent was signed for on the 10th so they did receive it before deadline.

So I think I will wait and see what happens next.

I guess I will have a better idea of what they expect when I hear back about my IHIP.

Thanks again everyone. :001_smile:

Our district is actually running behind this year. We sent our letter of intent and then our IHIP. Dh called since we had not heard from them and the woman who handles it said if you do not hear from us you are all good. They have us down as hsing so we are not worrying about it. We have the record we sent it in if they need us to resend it they will let us know.

Same thing happened to me. I sent my IHIP's in last week and today I got all their forms. They even included the days for me to submit my quarterlies which they really cannot hold you to. I always put my own dates on my IHIPS. As far as hours, just divide the total needed by 4 and submit that number each quarter. I know I easily do the required hours if not more.

I am planning on signing the forms they sent (correcting the submission dates) and sending them back with a note explaining I already sent the IHIPS. I also am going to straighten them out on my 5yo who went to preschool there last year. They sent me a form to report for him but since he will not be 6 till next year I am not required to.

I don't ever use their forms for quarterly reports. It is much easier for me to type them and keep the records on my computer.