Menu

Another dx of vitiligo this week . . .

My daughter already had an appointment scheduled with the dermatologist when I read twinmom's post about her dd. So I made sure to ask the doctor about my dd's spots with no pigmentation. And sure enough - that's what it is. It's in very small areas, one eyelid, the fingertips (near nails) on one hand and one spot on her leg.

The doctor has given us protopic to use on her eyelid. Does anyone have any experience using this to treat vitiligo?

Until I read Twinmom's post I never suspected that it could be a condition that could become unstable and spread. I sure hope she has the stable condition and that it can be managed safely and effectively.

I have vitiligo. I have used the cream but didn't have any luck with it. Not saying it won't help your dd.

I had had the vitiligo for several years before I was given the cream. The dr. that gave me the cream told me that it he was almost 100% positive it wouldn't work on my old "spots" but might work on the new ones. It didn't work on them either but it might have if I could have kept up using the cream. I just couldn't afford it and since I saw no change I just quit using it.

I had a horrible dr. when I was noticed my first couple "spots". I went to him kinda worried. In a hateful tone he told me it was because I was fat and waved me off and left the room. :blush: Just for the record being fat has nothing to do with it.

I hope the cream works for your dd.

Brenda,

My dd10 has vitiligo and her dr. used Protopic as the first course of treatment. We switched to Fluocinoline and now Fluocinolide for the affected areas on her torso and legs and reserve Protopic for the face. We've been satisfied with the results so far. I would insist on trying something new if I didn't see measurable results in a short period of time. The older areas seem to be the most resistant and it's nothing to "be patient" about. You're right, Protopic is expensive...after paying for the first two tubes, I now ask for samples every time we go in.

Carolyn

I have vitiligo. I have used the cream but didn't have any luck with it. Not saying it won't help your dd.

I had had the vitiligo for several years before I was given the cream. The dr. that gave me the cream told me that it he was almost 100% positive it wouldn't work on my old "spots" but might work on the new ones. It didn't work on them either but it might have if I could have kept up using the cream. I just couldn't afford it and since I saw no change I just quit using it.

I had a horrible dr. when I was noticed my first couple "spots". I went to him kinda worried. In a hateful tone he told me it was because I was fat and waved me off and left the room. :blush: Just for the record being fat has nothing to do with it.

I hope the cream works for your dd.

Oh - that makes me so sad that you had such a horrible doctor - I'm so sorry you were treated that way.

Do you use any kind of treatment now?

Brenda,

My dd10 has vitiligo and her dr. used Protopic as the first course of treatment. We switched to Fluocinoline and now Fluocinolide for the affected areas on her torso and legs and reserve Protopic for the face. We've been satisfied with the results so far. I would insist on trying something new if I didn't see measurable results in a short period of time. The older areas seem to be the most resistant and it's nothing to "be patient" about. You're right, Protopic is expensive...after paying for the first two tubes, I now ask for samples every time we go in.

Carolyn

Carolyn - I sent you a pm.