Menu

Miquon Math, Singapore Math, MEP Math ???

OleanderRain

What grade level would you say these math curricula are? Miquon Orange, Singapore 1A, and MEP Math Y1. I'm not sure if they a Kindergarten or 1st grade level. Thanks!

Depending on the child, I'd say that Singapore 1A and Miquon Orange are about 1st grade level. Possibly last half of K. Both my DDs started SM- 1A and Miquon Orange in the last half of K. I think my 1st DD completed through SM - 1B and Miquon Red in K and my older just started 1st grade and is finishing up 1A and orange. HTH!

MEP1 is K. Sing 1 and Miquon Orange are 1st.

However, in my house...ds7 did much of Miquon Orange in K, Singapore 1A last half of K, and MEP 1a right after Sing 1a. He zipped through Sing 1A, and MEP was a great math to use as a review (it really nailed down those facts into permanent memory without feeling like drill & kill) when I didn't want to forge ahead with Sing 1b quite yet.

MEP1 is K.
Most North Americans would consider Y1 to be first grade despite that fact that only the numbers 0 through 20 are used (with an occasionally negative number thrown in).

That's how I used it as well...it is a challenging program!!!
I agree.

Coincidentally, I just read this article:

Students' Understanding of the Equal Sign Not Equal, Professor Says

Excerpts:

"About 70 percent of middle grades students in the United States exhibit misconceptions, but nearly none of the international students in Korea and China have a misunderstanding about the equal sign, and Turkish students exhibited far less incidence of the misconception than the U.S. students," note Robert M. Capraro and Mary Capraro of the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Culture at Texas A&M.

and

"Students who have learned to memorize symbols and who have a limited understanding of the equal sign will tend to solve problems such as
4+3+2=( )+2
by adding the numbers on the left, and placing it in the parentheses, then add those terms and create another equal sign with the new answer," he explains. "So the work would look like 4+3+2=(9)+2=11.

"This response has been called a running equal sign -- similar to how a calculator might work when the numbers and equal sign are entered as they appear in the sentence," he explains.

The major underlying theme in MEP Y1 is equalities and inequalities. Solving the equation in the bolded text is something a child would only be expected to do by the end of Y1a. However, the child would also be expected to solve MEP's special brand of inequality:

4+3+2 (is 5 more than) _____ + 2

Five more than looks like 5>, with the 5 tucked inside the greater-than sign.