Menu

accredited high school classes

Does this relative already have high school credits from a public school? If so, the easiest approach would be to enroll him/her in an online public charter in your state. That way all credits will count. Sometimes private school credits, even if accredited, are more complicated or won't be accepted toward a diploma at all.

Does this relative already have high school credits from a public school? If so, the easiest approach would be to enroll him/her in an online public charter in your state. That way all credits will count. Sometimes private school credits, even if accredited, are more complicated or won't be accepted toward a diploma at all.

Not sure that Virginia has public charter schools, virtual/on-line or otherwise. Not all states do.

This relative attended High school in Mexico, but only finished tenth grade. Charter schools are out because he does no yet read or write English, plus he has already turned 18. My hope is to find an accredited online school with which he can take a Math coarse. I know from experience that an English learner can still keep up with a math coarse while learning English as long as they have a little help (me).

Basically the Adult school will only take classes from accredited schools. They may not even accept his Math and Science or electives for the school he attended in Mexico. They also require that he focus on English only until he test at a specific level until they will allow him to even begin attempting credits in any high school coarse.:confused:

They have independent study so I asked if he could do this along side the ESL. The answer was NO, even if he were to have a private tutor. I am afraid that these policies may have him repeating classes he has done in the past and that the delay in attempting credits will add a long time to him actually graduating and attending college.

Just looking for options.

Danielle

University of Nebraska's online high school offers distance/online learning for single subjects or for a diploma and they are fully accredited.

FWIW, most of the accredited high schools I've looked at offer single subject accredited classes. They aren't too hard to find.

Does anyone have a recommendation for online high school math that is accredited. I am taking in a family member who needs to finish high school. Thanks.

Danielle

Are you in California? If so, there are several resources for high school students http://distancelearn.about.com/od/onlinepublicschools/a/CaliforniaPub.htm

Another option is to take a single class through FLVS.net (Florida Virtual School). You can take a single class from the online school and it is accredited. The price, though, is $375 per semester. ihttp://www.flvs.net/areas/flvscourses/Pages/Course%20Catalog/CourseListing-OutofState.aspx

This relative attended High school in Mexico, but only finished tenth grade. Charter schools are out because he does no yet read or write English, plus he has already turned 18. My hope is to find an accredited online school with which he can take a Math coarse. I know from experience that an English learner can still keep up with a math coarse while learning English as long as they have a little help (me).

Basically the Adult school will only take classes from accredited schools. They may not even accept his Math and Science or electives for the school he attended in Mexico. They also require that he focus on English only until he test at a specific level until they will allow him to even begin attempting credits in any high school coarse.:confused:

They have independent study so I asked if he could do this along side the ESL. The answer was NO, even if he were to have a private tutor. I am afraid that these policies may have him repeating classes he has done in the past and that the delay in attempting credits will add a long time to him actually graduating and attending college.

Just looking for options.

Danielle

Danielle, try Keystone National High School. You can enroll in just one class. Our local high school couldn't say a thing about my choice as they are both accredited by the same organization.:D My best wishes to you both.

I think the American School of Correspondence sounds like it might work. It started as a way for adults to pursue a diploma through correspondence. The price is reasonable, and it's accredited. They don't have a lot of electives or AP's like you see in the current accredited schools. I think they have placement tests. The requirements for a diploma are minimal. I think the prices include the texts.

Cafi Cohen talked a lot about it in her first book. She did say that to get into a highly ranked college you would have to pursue additional classes, more than what they wanted for the diploma. She said it fit easily around the kids activities and community college courses.

She said that because the school is so old they know what they're doing. I think the tests are open book, you don't need a proctor. (We use Indiana U. and U. of Missouri---the courses are more expensive, and you need to arrange for a proctor for the tests) HTH

Thanks everyone. My children are all primary school age, so I haven't really looked into all the options for high school. I was surprised when the school said he would not be able to do math while doing his ESL. Weird.:confused: He went to orientation today and tested. It seems that in the short time he has stayed with us (4 weeks) he has learned enough to skip the first ESL coarse. I hope this means that when he retests in December he will have a high enough score to begin a full coarse of study. (fingers crossed)

Thanks again ladies.

Danielle

Thanks everyone. My children are all primary school age, so I haven't really looked into all the options for high school. I was surprised when the school said he would not be able to do math while doing his ESL. Weird.:confused: He went to orientation today and tested. It seems that in the short time he has stayed with us (4 weeks) he has learned enough to skip the first ESL coarse. I hope this means that when he retests in December he will have a high enough score to begin a full coarse of study. (fingers crossed)

Thanks again ladies.

Danielle

Total immersion is the best way to learn a language. Keep up the good work!!! Sounds like he's doing great! :)