Menu

How early is too early...

...to start buying for next year??:lol:

I placed the order for the last bit of my needed curriculum for school this year today. I have been on the hunt for good prices on used curriculum online, hitting the used curriculum fairs, stopping in regularly at the used book stores and watching sales since mid-May. Now that I have completed the hunt, I have a bit of a let-down.

There are a few things that would be nice to have but aren't really neccessary, so maybe I can satisfy my curriculum shopping urges by looking for those. LOL!

Anyone else have that "let-down" feeling when you finally get everything purchased, or should I be relieved instead??

Edited by fhjmom
correct typo

...to start buying for next year??:lol:

I placed the order for the last bit of my needed curriculum for school this year today. I have been on the hunt for good prices on used curriculum online, hitting the used curriculum fairs, stopping in regularly at the used book stores and watching sales since mid-May. Now that I have completed the hunt, I have a bit of a let-down.

There are a few things that would be nice to have but are really neccessary, so maybe I can satisfy my curriculum shopping urges by looking for those. LOL!

Anyone else have that "let-down" feeling when you finally get everything purchased, or should I be relieved instead??

Yes, which is why I do my planning and purchasing as late in the season as possible. It gives me less time to think on it before school starts. Only I wouldn't be buying for next year, I'd be second-guessing what I already planned for this year.

Don't feel bad at ALL-I just ordered used texts of pre-algebra/algebra to take a look at (and maybe start working through myself), and my dc is about two yrs away from needing it!

:D I bought prealgebra, algebra, and geometry texts when dd was in 3rd grade. I couldn't help myself, I love math and so does she. We're still about 2 years off for the prealgebra.

Last spring I bought everything I needed for history for the next 3 years: both of the K12 Human Odyssey books and the Kingfisher & DK encyclopedias. I also have everything for science and geography book-wise for next year. I just need a good telescope and digital scale.

I've bought ahead and had it work out wonderfully. The books were just what we needed. This is for curriculum that we had already used "part A" extensively and knew we would be happy moving to the next level.

However, usually I hear that something will be great and buy ahead, I usually change my mind before we actually use it, or use "part B." For instance, last year I bought a bunch of CW - Aesop through Diogones. I had fun looking through the curriculum. Halfway through Homer I decided it wasn't for us and sold it. The buyer got a good deal, and I learned a lesson (again).

I am going to try to be cautious from now on.

GardenMom

Guest Cindie2dds
How early is too early...to start buying for next year??:lol:

Well, I think that depends. I spent most of last summer buying and selling all sorts of things that just didn't fit for one reason or another. After we finished Oak Meadow K last year and I spent the summer educating myself about Waldorf, I am set on Oak Meadow for the future. Oak Meadow redesigned their covers with a different font and updated a lot of the lower grades. They ended up getting several misprints with the old covers outside, but new editions inside. Since they couldn't sell them at retail, I bought each Syllabus, readers and other books Oak Meadow prints for each grade, up through the 3rd grade.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but considering I got all the books brand new for less than half the retail price, two kids using them, and I could get all my money back if I resold them later on; it was a great deal to me. :D

I am running into problems doing that. So, I am on a strict "if it will be available now, it will be available later!" code!

I have quite a bit right now that I purchased in advance assuming I would use it.....I am NOT or I am using it because I feel I have to, not because it is any longer my first choice!

BUT, I am starting to THINK about next year! I have plans......just won't buy yet.

Dawn

I do like to do that too, but I think this year I will be keeping my eye out for used and keeping a jar and saving monthly so that I have a bunch at the end.

Right now I am selling as much as I feel comfortable selling so that I can buy without using any additional funds.

Dawn

I'll probably start buying stuff for next year in the next couple of weeks. I spread out the buying as much as possible.

Guest Cindie2dds

Right now I am selling as much as I feel comfortable selling so that I can buy without using any additional funds.

Dawn

Yep. I have sold a lot over the past two months that didn't work for us, so this was great timing for me. I actually got them cheaper new than if I were to buy a recent edition used; their resale value is very high.

How early is too early......to start buying for next year??

Well, I've got calculus textbooks, college-level science texts, HS & college level literature, and enough Teaching Company courses to last about 6 years, and my DS is 12, so I would say it's never too early to plan ahead. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

I bought some curriculum for next year when I was buying this year's curriculum. We will be entering the world of high school next year, and there are some items I wanted to get my hands on that I am *probably* using in high school and the prices were worth getting to at least look through, so I got them... we'll probably be using them.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm having Logic-Stage Envy.

:lol: :iagree:

I've bought two and three years ahead, so you probably don't want to hear from me.

Me too. I'm giving myself the history education I never had. I am simultaneously buying grammar-stage books that are appropriate for the kids now logic stage books for myself. Then when they're in logic stage, they will already be set and I can then buy the rhetoric stage books for myself. I'm trying to stay one step ahead of these whippersnappers! :tongue_smilie:

Next, I think I'll buy LOF to work through before they get to it. It looks fun!