Menu

Wedding gift for a niece...what to buy?

I have a niece who is getting married at the end of next month. She has decided not to register for gifts. I am not going to the wedding. Those are the facts!

Now, I was thinking of getting her a bunch of gadgets for the kitchen that I have discovered over the years as "must-haves"..."life-savers"..."oh, I wish I had this years ago!". Smiles! However, I'm wondering if that's too much like a shower gift.

What do you think?

Thanks!

~Holly

If she or her husband-to-be is currently living independently (apartment or house - not a dorm or with the parents), then I would assume she might not need the practical things. If they don't have very much stuff, then I would go for the practical.

I like to give a nice vase that will hold a bouquet of flowers, when I don't want to give something too practical. Other ideas- Picture frame for a wedding picture. Towels. Fancier utensils (like from William Sonoma) can make things like measuring cups seem more like a wedding present.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I don't think there's really a difference between "shower gifts" and "wedding gifts."

All of us know what young married people need in their homes. I think you should just go to the store and get something that *you'd* like to recieve. That will be fine. Just remember that if you get towels, there must be *2* of everything (one of our wedding gifts was a set of towels: 1 washcloth, 1 hand towel, 1 bath towel. And we couldn't find the pattern anywhere in San Diego to buy the others so we'd have, you know, *2* of each.:confused:)

I like your idea, Holly. I got a box of gadgets with a couple cookbooks as a wedding gift and I loved it! I still use many of those gadgets 16 years later. I got my first Betty Crocker cookbook in the same package and I've used it so much that the spine is duct taped and the pages are falling out.

Now, I was thinking of getting her a bunch of gadgets for the kitchen that I have discovered over the years as "must-haves"..."life-savers"..."oh, I wish I had this years ago!". Smiles! However, I'm wondering if that's too much like a shower gift.

If they live together or are older, they might already have these things. I would have loved a gift like this when I got married (even if I already had the items) IF it came with a note or letter explaining some quirky personal reason for getting them; they would have been cherished for years because of that little note.

Otherwise, I've come to the conclusion that if they don't register, money is a good thing.

Another idea that isn't necessarily grand but very practical is a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. Since my sister almost died from CO posioning in her apartment this has become a gift often given. Many couples don't think of these and you really can't have too many of them either.