Menu

Green Smoothies

Can I just live on these?

I've been cutting up melons & freezing the half my kids don't eat immediately.

Watermelon + strawberry + plain yogurt + ripe banana + spinach/collard greens = love.

But honeydew melon + apple jc concentrate + everything above except the watermelon is AMAZING.

People should design some kind of weight-loss plan off of these. It'd be easy. :001_smile: (Although...that implies that I should have lost something...) :glare:

I'm on a smoothie kick, too! I've been making them to sip in the morning as breakfast as I start a busy day.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, because they are so healthy!), M1 has also discovered smoothies, so she demands them as soon as she comes in the door or anytime she sees the stainless steel blender cup!

So I have to sit down and SHARE with her.

Try this one:

1c frozen green grapes + 1c kiwi + 1c white grape juice + a generous handful of spinach

--------------------------

Kale is really good as the green part, too.
I love kale, but have never put it in a smoothie. Do I need to cook the kale first, as I do when I eat it for supper?

There is a diet like this!

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Smoothies-Diet-Natural-Extraordinary/dp/156975702X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281658904&sr=8-1

She has a great blog too that I've followed since the beginning (Green Smoothie Girl). We drink a green smoothie every morn, but you might not like ours, no handful of greens for us-the blender is filled to the top with baby spinach and homegrown kale, and then I blend that into a liquid and then blend in "some" fruit (all organic) and stevia! It's very, um, green. But even picky ds7 drinks it-we've had them for about three years. One of the BEST things you can do for your health!

They are awesome. We use kale and collards mostly. I don't really like melons, but...

Anyway, you most certainly could live off of them. You'd probably add a little to it, but I wouldn't hesitate to make them the key part of a diet.

I'm not much of a melong girl, either, so I was *totally* surprised by the crazy-goodness of that one.

Try this one:

1c frozen green grapes + 1c kiwi + 1c white grape juice + a generous handful of spinach

Hmmm...I've got frozen green grapes in the freezer now, & I've been thinking about using them, but...I'm not so much of a grape girl, either, lol! But really, I'm at the point where I don't think one can be made badly.:D

I just started doing green smoothies a couple weeks ago and LOVE them!

Usually I start with a blender loosely packed with greens and a cup of water and blend that first. Then I start adding in fruits: banana, watermelon, pineapple, apple, grape, melon, berries, you name it. Sometimes a dash of cinnamon or vanilla. Today I ran out of baby spinach, so I used a big handful of cilantro, which when paired with watermelon, grapes and apple was surprisingly good.

:)