Menu

What is considered to be a good ACT score?

A friend was asking me this question tonight. They're considering moving---possibly to Cape Girardeau, further north (towards St. Louis), or possibly Springfield. They've checked into New Covenant Academy in Springfield, where the ACT score average is 24.8. The national average is closer to around 21%, I think.

Here in Missouri, if you score a 31 or above on your ACT, you qualify for a Bright Flight scholarship.

BTW, I like this gal, but I've tried talking to her in the past about classical Christian education, and this is what it's been like: :banghead:

I lent her some materials on the subject, which were untouched for over a year. I finally asked her if I could have them back. I did mention to her that there's a classical Christian school in Springfield.

She did tell me that a local educator did her PhD thesis on the kids coming out of the two local K-8 private schools: they tend to be at the very top of the class, starting out in h.s. By the time they graduate, there's little discernible difference between them and the other p.s. kids. In other words, there's a "leveling" effect that happens to these kids, academically speaking. The h.s. does have some good teachers, and the cc classes offered through the high school is, in effect, their honors program.

Please continue to pray for our family re: whether or not to enroll the kids in school next year. If that happens, oldest dd would likely take most coursework at the cc, middle dd would go to the h.s., and youngest dd. would go to one of the two private K-8 schools. Yet, I hate to admit this, and please forgive me if I sound proud, but I think I'm doing better than both of the private schools and the h.s. I'm beginning to wonder if I should continue to homeschool and take one graduate course at a time. Dh and I think I should go back to school for my master's degree because of some health issues he had in the fall.

Anyway, thanks for any advice on the ACT!

What top tier universities consider a "good" score is a LOT higher than schools with less competitive admissions standards. The small, private Christian college ER plans to attend awards their highest academic scholarship to students with ACT scores of 24 and above. I've heard that many of the selective schools look for scores of 30 and above.

I may be incorrect in my premise, but...

Many small schools have students do well because the student teacher ratio is low. Then, once they transfer to a larger high school, there will be larger classrooms and less teachers (and more burnt out teachers, in my ps experience), and the students will "level out" as you put it.

With homeschool you have a VERY small student/ teacher ratio ;). (and you can spend more time on act study guides if you wish!)

I had a 27 on my ACT. It did not help me one stinkin' bit, because no one told me that my electives would be taken out of my final readjusted gpa and I did not get the scholarship I was told I would be getting. Really, my highschool education stunk, and I know that I would have done much better with more personal attention and higher quality education.

I don't know how good the schools are there, so I won't give advice. You can always try a semester (if your dc want to) and pull them out if they are not excelling academically.