Menu

kingfisher or usborne for history?

Lady Q

I got them both because the memorization lists are in the back of Kinfisher. I have second graders and we've been using Usborne. It is simpler and, I think, more user friendly for younger children. When we first got it the kids were obsessed with the page on the Assyrians. It's pretty graphic - heads lying around all over the place.

I have both. I think Kingfisher is best for an older child. I like the short sections in Usborne and the pages are more colorful to me. Usborne also has the internet links at the top of the page. We have really enjoyed some of the online stuff that we've found through those.

Last year I had my 7th grader use Kingfisher, and the 1st grader used Usborne.

I have both. I think Kingfisher is best for an older child. I like the short sections in Usborne and the pages are more colorful to me. Usborne also has the internet links at the top of the page. We have really enjoyed some of the online stuff that we've found through those.

:iagree:

Save Kingfisher for older children!

Oh dear.

I have the Kingfisher and the Usborne AND the new DK one.

Usborne is best for 1st, imo, because it has simple text. But I like the pictures in K and DK much better.

Usborne DOES have cool links to follow and add more content, if you want to.

There's a DK one, too? Can you tell me the full title or link to it, please? The more options, the better, right...? :D

About the Usborne... and I feel silly saying this, but several reviewers on Amazon commented on the amount of nudity in it. Did any of you felt that it was inappropriate in terms of pictures for your kids?

Thanks again. :)

For a 1st grader, Usborne would definitely hold their interest better. Having said that, I had to figure out how to approach all the n*ked people, especially in the ancient history sections. Grown men and (well-endowed) women are drawn without clothing throughout the first 50-60 pages.

While historically, accurate, the drawings distracted my boys so much, they couldn't concentrate on what I was reading.... "ha ha ha, another n*ked person!"

There is also quite a bit of violence, pools of blood, weapons in the flesh, even a pile of heads... so, again, preview by a parent ahead of time is best.

So, just so you're prepared, you might have to see if this will work for your particular kids and your family.

For a 1st grader, Usborne would definitely hold their interest better. Having said that, I had to figure out how to approach all the n*ked people, especially in the ancient history sections. Grown men and (well-endowed) women are drawn without clothing throughout the first 50-60 pages.

While historically, accurate, the drawings distracted my boys so much, they couldn't concentrate on what I was reading.... "ha ha ha, another n*ked person!"

There is also quite a bit of violence, pools of blood, weapons in the flesh, even a pile of heads... so, again, preview by a parent ahead of time is best.

My kids are quite fascinated by the violence. Go figure. I agree, there are differently costumed (or un-costumed) people, but my kids have just taken it all in stride. I'm pretty conservative overall, but I'm really trying to work through the issue of n*dity in art, etc. As long as it's not er*tica or really... you know... then I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it!

Last year I had my 7th grader use Kingfisher, and the 1st grader used Usborne.

I have the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (KHE) and the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History (UILE). The Kingfisher is a bit wordier and better for a bit older kid. My 8th grader outlines from the Kingfisher, and my 5th grader outlines from the Usborne.

Unless you have a particularly enthusiastic 1st grader (really likes to listen to reading from an encyclopedia), I'd use Usborne for now.