Menu

Somebody help me please! Questions about my new TOG DE...

4them

I just purchased TOG DE for the first time. I'm used to SL, with the binders & paper. I can print out the whole unit for half the cost of buying it, but what's the point of buying the DE if I end up working out of the big binder again? I want to make the most of the DE. How do I use this?! Specifically, what pages are essential to print, if any? Does it work to just write their assignments out on an assignment sheet? I want to be prepared when we start up again in a few weeks. Please help me avoid the TOG FOG!! TIA!

:confused1:

I just purchased TOG DE for the first time. I'm used to SL, with the binders & paper. I can print out the whole unit for half the cost of buying it, but what's the point of buying the DE if I end up working out of the big binder again? I want to make the most of the DE. How do I use this?! Specifically, what pages are essential to print, if any? Does it work to just write their assignments out on an assignment sheet? I want to be prepared when we start up again in a few weeks. Please help me avoid the TOG FOG!! TIA!

:confused1:

You can print whatever you want....I bought DE+Print so I can have a print copy to mark up for myself. I haven't started using the curriculum yet but I printed out the Student Activity pages, maps we'll use, reading assignment pages, evaluations and some stuff off the loom that I want access to in my binder.

For me, I didn' t get DE to get away from paper and binder (I find that impossible for me) but to qualify for future free updates and never having to buy something twice because it was updated.

I would start by printing the reading assignments and overview pages. This is the crux of what you will be doing each week. I like to have the hard copies of these to refer to throughout the week.

Secondly, I would print the pages that you want your kids to complete during the week, namely, the Student Activity pages, outline maps, etc. Only print the ones that your kids will need (for example, if you don't have a R student, don't print those SAP pages).

In order to save paper and and binder space, I would not print the teacher's notes; just read them on the computer. Also, look over the writing assignments on the computer, but just write down what your student will do.

You can print whatever you want....I bought DE+Print so I can have a print copy to mark up for myself. I haven't started using the curriculum yet but I printed out the Student Activity pages, maps we'll use, reading assignment pages, evaluations and some stuff off the loom that I want access to in my binder.

For me, I didn' t get DE to get away from paper and binder (I find that impossible for me) but to qualify for future free updates and never having to buy something twice because it was updated.

Okay, thanks. I guess I'm hoping to cut down on some of the volume of "stuff" we have to go through daily. I want to view as much as possible on the computer. You have good points in that last paragraph...that's worth it even if I do print most of it out.

I would start by printing the reading assignments and overview pages. This is the crux of what you will be doing each week. I like to have the hard copies of these to refer to throughout the week.

Secondly, I would print the pages that you want your kids to complete during the week, namely, the Student Activity pages, outline maps, etc. Only print the ones that your kids will need (for example, if you don't have a R student, don't print those SAP pages).

In order to save paper and and binder space, I would not print the teacher's notes; just read them on the computer. Also, look over the writing assignments on the computer, but just write down what your student will do.

Thanks! This is quite helpful...I feel like my brain has kinda shut down. I should be able to figure this out! I think it'll all fall into place as we begin to actually do TOG, but I just want to be as prepared as possible so I don't drop the ball.

I'm a TOG newbie so take that into consideration. I don't feel like I'm in the TOG fog but I really shouldn't be giving out advice yet. ;) For my UG student, I print p. 4 of the Reading Assignments, UG Student Activity Pages, maps, evaluations, and any pages from Writing Aids needed to complete the writing assignments. I haven't gotten around to printing anything for me b/c I've just been using my laptop. But, I've been considering printing out the threads and the reading pages to put into my binder so that I can write on them.

:iagree:

This basically echoes Kristen. I print pages 4-9 (from each week) and have them page protected in a binder (3"). This gives me easy access to reading and writing assignments and the overview pages. Then print out what your students each need for the week. For me this is only the lit worksheet and some maps at this point. It will be more in your case.

If you haven't checked out the infamous filing thread yet...... you might want to. I think that method is BRILLIANT for TOG users, but that's obviously just my opinion.

I'm a TOG newbie so take that into consideration. I don't feel like I'm in the TOG fog but I really shouldn't be giving out advice yet. ;) For my UG student, I print p. 4 of the Reading Assignments, UG Student Activity Pages, maps, evaluations, and any pages from Writing Aids needed to complete the writing assignments. I haven't gotten around to printing anything for me b/c I've just been using my laptop. But, I've been considering printing out the threads and the reading pages to put into my binder so that I can write on them.

I'm open to hearing from anyone further on than me! Thanks...This sounds like a good starting point.

:iagree:

This basically echoes Kristen. I print pages 4-9 (from each week) and have them page protected in a binder (3"). This gives me easy access to reading and writing assignments and the overview pages. Then print out what your students each need for the week. For me this is only the lit worksheet and some maps at this point. It will be more in your case.

If you haven't checked out the infamous filing thread yet...... you might want to. I think that method is BRILLIANT for TOG users, but that's obviously just my opinion.

Okay, newbie question...are the page numbers the same every week?

Also, I haven't opened the filing thread, but I may brave it if it applies! I did read about keeping all the printouts in files for each week (I'm planning a unit at a time)...I like that idea, but I had to figure out what to print first, lol! :001_rolleyes:

Thanks for the help...

I usually print out the reading assignments, writing assignment, literature worksheet(s), maps, and evaluations.

I only do one unit at a time.

Give your self a few weeks or even a unit to decide how you use TOG and then it will work better.

I do print and give the kids their own copies of the reading assignments-that way they can keep track. You could have them check the computer each week and plan/note on an assignment sheet what they will do each day.

I usually print out the reading assignments, writing assignment, literature worksheet(s), maps, and evaluations.

I only do one unit at a time.

Give your self a few weeks or even a unit to decide how you use TOG and then it will work better.

I do print and give the kids their own copies of the reading assignments-that way they can keep track. You could have them check the computer each week and plan/note on an assignment sheet what they will do each day.

Okay, thanks! I'm getting a better idea of how to work this out. I'm glad I'm only doing a unit at a time. It gives me room to adjust as we go.

This is my second unit, first one full flegded with all DC. I first printed out the Reading Assignments and Overview, front and backs and put those in my binder. I planned my books and extras.

Then I printed what teachers notes I thought I might really need and the Dialetic discussion questions for the first few weeks. I am trying to teach myself to read those online so I only printed them in black and white fast to save ink and everything back and front to save paper. I spoke with TOG and later on in year when I am using all the levels and might need more on paper then I may purchase the print copy to go along with my DE, with whatever updates accure between now and then. ;)

Then I printed only the student pages and any maps I will need for the first few weeks, and the vocabulary from the loom. I put each unit in a 1" binder, although they have extra room so I'm thinking I might get my lesson plans in there too.:) Much less than the huge SL binders I'm used to. Since I'm just starting planning on unit 2 there are only like 9 pages in the entire binder. DE seems to be growing on me, especially with the search option.