Menu

enough work

choirfarm

My 10th grader is pretty much busy from 8-4ish and needs to have the house somewhat quiet for concentration purposes. I'm having trouble with my 3rd and 7th getting into mischief this year and contantly trying to play!! I'm wondering if they have enough work to do. I tend to work with my 3rd grader for and hour to an hour and a half then let her have a break. But when I come back, she and the 7th grader are making water baloons or something.:confused: She and my 7th grader are also social people. She learns best by discussion, hands on, singing, etc. She longs to go to school and to go be with people. Ok so

3rd grader

We are rushing through Spelling Workout B doing about 2 chapters/lessons a week. (We didn't do spelling last year and it showed. Level C looked too hard, but the beginning of B is EASY. It takes her maybe 15 minutes to do the two pages each day.) A REason for a Handwriting cursive maybe 15 minutes. WWE 2 maybe 15 minutes. Saxon Math 30 minutes split up 15 minutes each time. Latin Christina I ( going really slow, so we do it together for 10 minutes or so. Speaking, writing in a notebook etc. We're doing 2 weeks for 1 chapter) I have a readaloud that is currently Wizard of Oz. ( 15 minutes) I readaloud TOG history to her ( 15 minutes a day) She reads a book or does a hands on thing for TOG 20- 30 minutes. We do Powerglide Spanish 15 minutes or so. We are doing Daily Grams and Grammar Island. ( 15 minutes) Science is Singapore science right now and we've made it through 4 chapters. She will be doing the Apologia Human Body book when the co-op starts in September. ( 15 minutes)

So that is around 3 1/2 hours of school a day. That's it, but the subjects seem plenty. She also reads A LOT. She basically has read a book a day. Yesterday she decided she wanted to read A Series of Unfortunate Events and read the entire thing in a day. ( This is the child that couldn't read much at the start of 2nd!)

Ok, now for my 7th grader. Chalkdust Introductory/Intermediate Algebra. This is a college textbook I'm using as both Alg I for him and Alg II for my 10th grader. My 10th grader is taking the test on 4 today. He will be taking the test for ch 1. Math is not his subject. It takes him at least 2 days, sometimes 3 to get through each section with my going over his mistakes with him and making him correct them. If he gets through chapter 6 or 7, it should be good for Alg. I. He hates math, but loves Dana Mosely and chose to do this rather than an easier math I suggested.

Apologia Physical Science. On chapter 2 and doing well. Finding it easy so far.

TOG history and literature on rhetoric level... Well, history is but he is having trouble answering the questions on paper. He talks a great game. Literature is my own creation. He read the entire 1st book in the CS Lewis Space Trilogy on Monday (said it was great) and is mad because I won't give him the second book until he completes the Progeny Press guide on it. So he has done about half of the vocabulary questions/guide for the book. He says some of the questions are hard but he is determined to have the whole thing finished by Friday so he can get the 2nd book next week.

Writing..along with math this is his bugaboo. He is doing the IEW US American history volume 2. He hates doing it and is always doing his papers at the last minute. I keep having to go and read the directions with him as he claims he doesn't know what to do... Grin. I sit with him a lot during writing.

SOS secondary Spanish..hates this.

He must practice his piano for 30 minutes.

Sonlight College and Career course. He loves working on this. His personality test was exactly the opposite of his brother. His brother is the researcher/work alone kind of guy and he is the social motivate others kind of person.

He also reads TONS on his own. They made it through the entire Harry Potter series while at their grandparents for 2 weeks and are rereading it along with AGatha Christie books they checked out at the library. He's begging to read that Massie World War I book I got, but I haven't finished it yet. He's already read every Jeff Shara book ever written. Loves him. It is getting hard to find him books.

So.. how do I keep these two busy??? It looks like a lot on paper, but it isn't taking them any time at all. And with it being over 100 every single day (let's not talk about the humidity index which is in the extremely dangerous level) I can't send them outside to play!!!

Christine

So the problem is that they are disturbing your oldest? Isn't there somewhere your oldest can work where he won't be bothered by the other two? What about putting a desk in his room? I would particularly expect the 3rd grader to have lots of time to play and what you have scheduled seems reasonable.

Lisa

The problem is that the 3rd and 8th grader have a love/hate relationship and often get into arguments and fights. ( I mean 5 years is a pretty good difference especially when that 8th grader is a deep voice 5 foot 9 young man!!) So they are making water balloons in the bathroom and then getting into a fight about whether he popped it or not on purpose. :tongue_smilie: Whether she is acting like a baby!! They drive me insane!! I like quiet. Please do not run in the house!! If you cannot get along, then go to your rooms and read, please. But they spend hours reading so that just doesn't seem right. It is just a big age gap but if they don't play with each other, then they have no one to play with!!!!! If it were later in the fall, I would send them outside on our 50 acres to walk the dogs or whatever, but it is just way too hot!! We leave Tuesday for our camping trip.. Just hang on!

Christine

I think it sounds like plenty of work. Send the oldest to the library. It's quiet and reference is easily available. Other days take the 3rd and 7th grader out or set up some place for them to play outside once it finally cools off a little. Maybe give them jobs to help you? Laundry, vacuuming, scrubbing the bathroom with tooth brushes (JK). Personally, I think 8-4 is a bit much for the 10th grader but if that's not negotiable he's going to have to learn to work around his sibs.

I think it sounds like plenty of work. Send the oldest to the library. It's quiet and reference is easily available. Other days take the 3rd and 7th grader out or set up some place for them to play outside once it finally cools off a little. Maybe give them jobs to help you? Laundry, vacuuming, scrubbing the bathroom with tooth brushes (JK). Personally, I think 8-4 is a bit much for the 10th grader but if that's not negotiable he's going to have to learn to work around his sibs.

We already do chores together around 4. My 10th grader is doing Apologia Physics, AP Statistics, TOG rhetoric history and literature, TOG church history in addition to a CS LEWIS class that he is LOVING, Chalkdust college Algebra, SOS Spanish II, Analytical Grammar season 3, Vocabulit and intense piano practice. He is also doing driver's ed in a box. The library is 20 to 30 minutes away ( 20 for our teeny town, and 30 to the bigger town's library.) He enjoys all of what he is studying and is happy to do it. I'm trying to convince him to work at church with other people, but he would rather bury his head in books. To me, 8-4 is reasonable with those classes. He would have tons of homework as well if he were in ps.

Christine

I obviously have a different idea of too hot, because my kids all play outside for several hours everyday; we live in Arkansas, and it has been hot lately. Dh works out in the heat everyday (for the railroad), my dad and brother work out in the heat everyday (construction) and my children can spend a couple hours out there too.

I also truly believe that young men really need lots of physical activity every day, and if it is real work that is even better. You have 50 acres; isn't there some where that needs cleared (my boys love to go work with the machete) or something that needs moved around (we are cleaning a dumping area the last people left sorting out the good stuff in the shed and piles of metal and wood to take to be recycled) or something that needs fixed (my boys are working on the chicken coop, planning on chickens for next spring) or something to mow? We've also been keeping the plug in when we take showers and I have been making them haul the water from the tub out to the garden when ever anyone takes a bath or shower.

My boys are only 9 and 10 and they do some heavy work around here almost every day. I really think it is good for them and our family, even if it is 100 degrees.

How do you make the 13 year go work outside if the 15yo doesn't have to. They do mow our place, but the grass hasn't grown in the last two weeks because the temps have been between 98 and 105 and we haven't gotten any rain. They water our garden, blackberry plants etc. They are hauling away tree limbs. It is just that when he is done with school at 1, it is 100 and it doesn't feel fair to have him work when the 15yo really needs school time. They generally do 30 minutes or so of outside work at 7:30 am every day.

Christine

Yeah we haven't needed much mowing lately either, my husband is glad, but, man, my garden is suffering.

Maybe it is because my boys are younger that they still enjoy working outside? I usually don't have any problem when I ask them to do something (except they both hate hanging out clothes ;)).

We also have a 14yo who is often not doing chores when they are, in fact she rarely does outside chores at all. But again it isn't usually an issue, they see the things that she usually does do around the house- cleaning the kitchen, cooking, and the dreaded hanging out the laundry ;) and I guess they don't feel put upon.

Maybe it would make more sense to have them stay outside in the morning and work on school when it gets hotter?

I wonder if there is some project he could plan and create outside. Like our boys' chicken coop. They spend lots of time finding boards from the scrap pile, figuring out what to do next (making a door has been a real challenge, but the finally found some hinges in the scrap pile :D), and even time inside reading chicken cataloges. We've given them a budget for the chickens so there has been lots of discussion about how they will spend that money in the spring (pullets or chicks, rare breeds or cheaper, from the neighbor's, ect.).

Some other ideas I have in mind

--Making a nice sitting/fishing area by the pond (clearing brush, maybe some big flat rocks or stumps or a bench

--I would love a water pump by the garden, someone is going to have to dig that trench ;)

--Painting and fixing the door of the storm shelter

--moving the rocks from the gravel bed the last owner put in the front yard to the drive way and planning a flower bed to put there instead

We also volunteer at a food pantry twice a week and that is carrying lots of heavy things.

I think mostly it is just that I have done enough reading about and I can see in my boys that spending time really using thier bodies really makes our days better. And for some reason if that time is spent doing actual work it pays off even more in better behavior and our family's happiness.

So I have decided that this is something that I am going to make work. It doesn't have to look the same in your family. What would you ideally like them to be doing with thier extra time? How can you accomplish that?