Menu

life isn't fair

I mean REALLY? There MUST be some sort of design flaw in a dove. I was just loading the dishwasher at this ungodly hour and saw my male dove courting my female (I currently have doves separated in cages all over the house due to various reasons!) and then he mounted her. 3 - 5 seconds later he was on the perch and falling asleep. SOUND asleep a second or two afterwards.

I looked back in pity a few seconds after that. Male dove sound asleep, crouched over his perch and all puffed up. Female pruning herself, likely nesting.

REALLY? SERIOUSLY? Aubrey, you truly have no idea what REALLY means.

:lol:

I bet my female dove wishes she were a praying mantis. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

If I'd had a drink in my mouth while reading this statement, I would have spit it out! :lol:

:lol::lol:

I found a dead praying mantis on my deck yesterday morning. I looked at him and said "serves you right". :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:and a LOL and HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I bet my female dove wishes she were a praying mantis. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

We have a large female mantis that started getting really fat, meaning she was likely to lay eggs soon, so I managed to find a male mantis for her. I'd read that female mantises get a bad rap, and really don't eat their mates that often, so we fed the female like crazy for a couple of days (so she wouldn't be hungry), and then introduced the male. He got right to work — and was still attached several hours later. I took the kids to the bookstore for an hour or so, and when we got back..... nothing but wings laying on the floor of the cage. And I know she wasn't hungry, she'd just eaten two huge grasshoppers before I put him in with her — I guess she just didn't want him around once he'd served his purpose! At least she didn't eat his head off while he was mating, as they sometimes do — did you know that headless male mantises will continue to mate without their heads for several hours? (Doesn't that explain a lot? :D)

Anyway, tonight we watched her lay a huuuuuge egg case, so I guess the little guy at least got to pass on his genes, which is probably all he cared about. (It's not like he had 40 years of beer and football to look forward to :lol:).

Jackie

We have a large female mantis that started getting really fat, meaning she was likely to lay eggs soon, so I managed to find a male mantis for her. I'd read that female mantises get a bad rap, and really don't eat their mates that often, so we fed the female like crazy for a couple of days (so she wouldn't be hungry), and then introduced the male. He got right to work — and was still attached several hours later. I took the kids to the bookstore for an hour or so, and when we got back..... nothing but wings laying on the floor of the cage. And I know she wasn't hungry, she'd just eaten two huge grasshoppers before I put him in with her — I guess she just didn't want him around once he'd served his purpose! At least she didn't eat his head off while he was mating, as they sometimes do — did you know that headless male mantises will continue to mate without their heads for several hours? (Doesn't that explain a lot? :D)

Anyway, tonight we watched her lay a huuuuuge egg case, so I guess the little guy at least got to pass on his genes, which is probably all he cared about. (It's not like he had 40 years of beer and football to look forward to :lol:).

Jackie

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::lol::lol::lol:

Jackie

:lol::lol::lol: I find this SO funny!!!!!

My male dove is at it already this morning. Poor little girl! He needs to give her a break!!!

I just came from the barn where I kicked "Don Juan" the rooster I hate, very thoroughly in his arse until he ran fleeing from my presence. It's bad enough he has to rape the hens in my sight but when he starts biting their necks and pulling the feathers out, I go Rambo!

Seriously, the only good purpose for a rooster is the pressure cooker. Sadly, not my call as this isn't my farm but the one where my horse is boarded.

Don't start me on mating season with the sheep. I carry a pipe and smack the rams hard on the rump with it. The whole thing is so disgusting....the wethers (castrated males) run around helping the rams corner the ewes so they have no path of escape and then stand around watching. It's like an x-rated sheep show.

Bill, Harry, Barry, and any other guys on the forum. Look out! It might be a bad day for you on the boards! We ladies are in rare form!

Faith

I mean REALLY? There MUST be some sort of design flaw in a dove. I was just loading the dishwasher at this ungodly hour and saw my male dove courting my female (I currently have doves separated in cages all over the house due to various reasons!) and then he mounted her. 3 - 5 seconds later he was on the perch and falling asleep. SOUND asleep a second or two afterwards.

I looked back in pity a few seconds after that. Male dove sound asleep, crouched over his perch and all puffed up. Female pruning herself, likely nesting.

REALLY? SERIOUSLY? Aubrey, you truly have no idea what REALLY means.

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Goodness, this brings back memories of my goats. Ricky could only get on Lucy if she'd let him. If she didn't want it, she'd keep walking, knocking him off. If she'd let him, he'd be doing his thing while she'd eat girass, totally ignoring him and what was going on (I sometimes wondered if he was even hitting the target, iykwim...they never kidded).

I'm at a friend's and their neighbour's little rat terrier keeps trying to get onto their huge lab. She's laying down and he gets up against her side...nowhere near the ballpark, little guy. She ignores him. When he's annoyed her enough, she picks him up by his scrawny neck and tosses him. He keeps coming back for more.

I just came from the barn where I kicked "Don Juan" the rooster I hate, very thoroughly in his arse until he ran fleeing from my presence. It's bad enough he has to rape the hens in my sight but when he starts biting their necks and pulling the feathers out, I go Rambo!

Seriously, the only good purpose for a rooster is the pressure cooker. Sadly, not my call as this isn't my farm but the one where my horse is boarded.

Don't start me on mating season with the sheep. I carry a pipe and smack the rams hard on the rump with it. The whole thing is so disgusting....the wethers (castrated males) run around helping the rams corner the ewes so they have no path of escape and then stand around watching. It's like an x-rated sheep show.

Bill, Harry, Barry, and any other guys on the forum. Look out! It might be a bad day for you on the boards! We ladies are in rare form!

Faith

my poor little girl has a bald spot on the top of her head!

I just told dh this weekend that I would never get sick of hearing, and subsequently laughing at, all the sounds sheep make. Now that I've learned more about sheep and mating, I just can't own any. That's disturbing!!!

Goodness, this brings back memories of my goats. Ricky could only get on Lucy if she'd let him. If she didn't want it, she'd keep walking, knocking him off. If she'd let him, he'd be doing his thing while she'd eat girass, totally ignoring him and what was going on (I sometimes wondered if he was even hitting the target, iykwim...they never kidded).

I'm at a friend's and their neighbour's little rat terrier keeps trying to get onto their huge lab. She's laying down and he gets up against her side...nowhere near the ballpark, little guy. She ignores him. When he's annoyed her enough, she picks him up by his scrawny neck and tosses him. He keeps coming back for more.

my dove's wishes fluctuate between wanting to be a praying mantis and then wanting to be a goat. :D

The lab..... :lol: My lab and my rat terrier (both female) were the best of friends. It was SO cute. My rat terrier was the size of my lab's head! My sweet, sweet lab is in doggie heaven now, and my sweet, sweet rat terrier is 12.5 and has health issues. Her "husband" is a dachsund but sometimes she can't keep up with him so she'll cuddle up to her "gentleman caller," a very large, super sweet, getting old greyhound. THAT is a funny, yet sweet, sight.

Warning signs, people. Get 'em and use 'em for threads like this.

There's just not enough coffee some mornings. Or stain remover, if you happen to have a mouthful.

Remember, only YOU can prevent coffee burns. Especially of the nasal passages.

This city girl knew not of such things (I mean of course besides the obvious) until I first moved into an apartment complex that had water all around and ducks. Lots and lots of ducks. :001_huh: Those fellas go way beyond the bald spot, they will hold their girl's head under water for what seems like a long time. I got a good education about the "birds" part of birds and bees from that apartment.

This city girl knew not of such things (I mean of course besides the obvious) until I first moved into an apartment complex that had water all around and ducks. Lots and lots of ducks. :001_huh: Those fellas go way beyond the bald spot, they will hold their girl's head under water for what seems like a long time. I got a good education about the "birds" part of birds and bees from that apartment.

I have ducks and they are BRUTAL!!! I won't even say what I want to, but if dh treated me like that, we would only have one kid and dh would be VERY deprived. :lol:

ETA those poor female ducks most definitely wish they were a praying mantis!!!

Warning signs, people. Get 'em and use 'em for threads like this.

There's just not enough coffee some mornings. Or stain remover, if you happen to have a mouthful.

Remember, only YOU can prevent coffee burns. Especially of the nasal passages.

:lol::lol::lol: Problems this morning, Imp?

Oh goodness, the ducks.

We live a block away from the biggest park in the city, where all the ducks (and Canadian geese in summer) get to know each other. In the biblical sense. :lol: Every year I take my kids to the park to see the ducks, feed them, etc. Until two years ago, when my then four year old asked me some questions about why the ducks were fighting. ALL of them. It's as if once one of them started, all the guy ducks were like, "Whoa. That's a great idea!"

I have learned to check for signs of, er, distress from upriver before taking the kids to the pond. I'm all about natural environment learning, but my kids had better not start thinking that's the natural way of things around here! Real women need to BREATHE. And, you know, keep their hair.