Menu

Math--Need to make a change

Oak Knoll Mom

I need to switch math programs for my oldest son. We're almost finished with RightStart D. Once we're done, I need to move him into something more independent. We did some supplementing with CLE last year and liked it, but didn't love it. We love RightStart, but it's teacher intensive and I just no longer have the time. (And FWIW, it's my fault he's behind...not his.)

He has a good understanding of math (thank you RightStart), but he's slow on his basic operations. We're using the Flashmaster and RightStart games to get his speed up.

We love RightStart, but it's teacher intensive and I just no longer have the time.

Three cheers for RightStart!!! We too adore it!!!

We switched at the beginning of this year for Math Mammoth and it's been working great for us. It's a mixture of text/workbook and the teaching is directed towards the student. My dd's are learning lots and MM has offered the right balance of teacher time and student independent work. My second grader and I work through the teaching "boxes" together then she goes off to do the work on her own. My 5th grader does her work independently and I review the work. If there is something she has questions about she knows to come to me and ask. We discuss anything she's unclear of. The most important thing for dd10 has been to check her work right away to head off any problem areas.

I highly recommend Math Mammoth!!

HTH

Dd6 moved into MM1A right after the first 15 lessons or so in RSB. I was planning to continue doing RSB until the end but she pleaded for something more independent. She is now nearing the end of 1B and doing very, very well. She enjoys math and between working though the teaching "boxes" together and doing some of the worktext on the white board or orally in addition to her working on her own, she's progressing very nicely. She gets her independence and I get to keep an eye on things.

Dd10 got through RSB, some of RSC, SM 2B & some of 3A before we abandoned ship to MM3B, which has been mostly review. She will be starting 4A very soon.

MM has been the right fit for my math lover (dd6) and my math tolerator (dd10).

FWIW, the Saxon book very clearly states that it is *not* designed for the student to do totally independently (at least at the 7/6 level, which is what we are using now). For my 5th grader, I time the facts practice, give her the mental math drill and have her solve the word problem, we go over the lesson and the practice problems, then I assign the problem set which she does independently. That may be more or less independent than you have in mind, don't know. I have seen an improvement in my daughter's computational speed and comfort since we started the facts practice.

We came into this after having done Singapore through 4A and I wouldn't consider Singapore an independent program, either, probably much less so than Saxon, at least for my daughter. It was very teacher intensive for me (in part probably because it was simply not a good fit for my daughter). For a more math-intuitive kid, most of them would probably work well independently. Mine's not math-intuitive.

FWIW, the Saxon book very clearly states that it is *not* designed for the student to do totally independently (at least at the 7/6 level, which is what we are using now). For my 5th grader, I time the facts practice, give her the mental math drill and have her solve the word problem, we go over the lesson and the practice problems, then I assign the problem set which she does independently. That may be more or less independent than you have in mind, don't know. I have seen an improvement in my daughter's computational speed and comfort since we started the facts practice.

We came into this after having done Singapore through 4A and I wouldn't consider Singapore an independent program, either, probably much less so than Saxon, at least for my daughter. It was very teacher intensive for me (in part probably because it was simply not a good fit for my daughter). For a more math-intuitive kid, most of them would probably work well independently. Mine's not math-intuitive.

My oldest did Singapore through 6B somewhat independently. Depends on the kid. Depends on the situation.

FWIW, the Saxon book very clearly states that it is *not* designed for the student to do totally independently (at least at the 7/6 level, which is what we are using now).

I agree, but...

we dropped formal math (till age 10) when I read Teaching the Trivium. We drilled math facts the summer each dc turned 10. Then we sat them down in front of a math book. For dd (1st born) that book was Saxon 6/5. She did great w/ it and w/ Saxon 7/6 after that, but b/c we were building a house and my mathy Dh wouldn't be available for much help w/ schoolwork, we next went to TT. Now dd is using Life of Fred.

All that to say, despite knowing that Saxon was never intended for independent use, we did it, and dd succeeded. She needed a little help, but not much.