Menu

Mac folks who use Pages: How do I do this?

OK, someone help me - this has to be easy, I'm just not seeing it.

I'm trying to design a "week plan" sheet for my dd9 to fill in. I've inserted a table, with a left-hand header row for the subjects. The days go in columns across, M-F.

I want the subject names to be turned 90degrees vertically, so they read sideways (does that make sense?). I can't for the LIFE of me figure out how to do it. . . . :glare:

At this rate, I should just print one with no text, and write it in.

Anybody?

Insert a text box. Put in your text as usual (horizontal). Click out of the text box then click back on it to show the lines around the text box. Put curser on a corner (try the rt bottom) and while you have curser on that corner hold down the command key. The curser will show a curved line. While you hold down the command key, use the mouse to drag your text box around 90 degrees or whatever degree you need. NOTE: if you change the text, it will revert to horizontal but when you click out of the text box it will return to the vertical setting. Hope this helps!

Insert a text box. Put in your text as usual (horizontal). Click out of the text box then click back on it to show the lines around the text box. Put curser on a corner (try the rt bottom) and while you have curser on that corner hold down the command key. The curser will show a curved line. While you hold down the command key, use the mouse to drag your text box around 90 degrees or whatever degree you need. NOTE: if you change the text, it will revert to horizontal but when you click out of the text box it will return to the vertical setting. Hope this helps!

OK, well that is a cool trick that I didn't know I could do. . . .

BUT -

It won't let me then insert that text box into the cell of my table!

(I did go to Open Office, and found a template that I think might work. . .but it's bugging me that I can't do this!)

If you figure this out ever, please post here. I have had the same argument with my mac for months. There are only two things I have missed ever with a PC, one is the solution to this problem and the other is having a nice built in template for labels (Avery labels, etc). Luckily, I use both so minimally that neither problem would make me go back to a PC. :lol:

You're not going to like my reply.

I gave up.:glare:

I downloaded a planner page from donnayoung.org, opened it with Open Office, and went to town. Oh, well. Maybe they'll fix it in Pages '10?

(Oh, on the labels - I downloaded Avery's label design software, and it works GREAT. Fwiw.)

OK, well that is a cool trick that I didn't know I could do. . . .

BUT -

It won't let me then insert that text box into the cell of my table!

(I did go to Open Office, and found a template that I think might work. . .but it's bugging me that I can't do this!)

You probably chose the 'world processing' layout when you started. You'll need to be doing this in page layout 'blank'. The 'blank' layout gives you more graphics control. Construct a table in 'blank' layout and then you can drag your text box that has the vertical letting into whatever cell you choose. You'll most likely need to adjust the size of the cell you are pasting into. It works...I've done it hundreds of times. :)