Menu

Need sympathy for my dealings with a crazy person

I cannot (should not) post the details here, folks, but there is someone in my life who is very, very difficult. There are specific reasons why I have to remain in relationship with this person for many years yet--reasons my dh and I fully believe in. I do not have the option of cutting off ties or choosing not to deal with this person.

This is someone who has an undiagnosed mental illness (I do not say that lightly in any way--it is absolutely the truth). Dealing with this person takes ALL my diplomatic ability and emotional strength. Setting boundaries and maintaining them is constant.

This person has a good heart (truly) but is hampered by an inability to process information rationally, by hyperactivity, by low IQ, and by just plain immaturity. This person alienates people all. the. time. Constantly. And is always bewildered by their reactions.

This person is in total denial about their own issues. When you try to offer this person help or gifts (because there are very big, legitimate needs in this person's life, needs that affect others as well), this person's response is to start negotiating for the gift or help to be bigger, better, or different in some way.

This person has an elaborate set of rules that everyone in their life has to follow. At times the rules are downright insulting and hurtful, sometimes bizarre. (I cannot explain it any more than that--I'm trying to vent without posting personal details.)

This person, today, pulled the rug out from under me. This person's choices in this regard will hurt others, and cost me some work, hours, and effort as well.

I am ready to tear my hair out. :banghead:

I do sympathize. Your description, in many ways, matches that of my mother. I think it's very brave that you are continuing a relationship--the last time my mom, in one of her rages, cut me off (it's a tactic she's always used with her kids to get us to chase a relationship with her despite whatever awful and offensive thing she's done), I let it stick. It's been about 3 years since we've been in touch. I keep in touch with her married boyfriend...he knows it's much too upsetting to me to discuss her at all...but I figure he'd let me know if something awful happened to her, or if she finally started seeing someone for her mental health issues.

Oh my goodness! I could have written every word you wrote. Just today I had a phone call from my 'crazy person'. By the time I got off the phone, my stomach was tied up in knots. And I too cannot remove this person from my life - at this time, anyhow.

I do understand and sympathize. :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: i totally understand, I also won't go into details but :grouphug: I always tell my kids that we love, we try to understand, and we do what is right not necessarily what feels good or what is easy but what we know in our hearts in right, The lord see's all and he re-compensates.

I do sympathize. Your description, in many ways, matches that of my mother. I think it's very brave that you are continuing a relationship--the last time my mom, in one of her rages, cut me off (it's a tactic she's always used with her kids to get us to chase a relationship with her despite whatever awful and offensive thing she's done), I let it stick. It's been about 3 years since we've been in touch. I keep in touch with her married boyfriend...he knows it's much too upsetting to me to discuss her at all...but I figure he'd let me know if something awful happened to her, or if she finally started seeing someone for her mental health issues.

:grouphug:

Oh my goodness! I could have written every word you wrote. Just today I had a phone call from my 'crazy person'. By the time I got off the phone, my stomach was tied up in knots. And I too cannot remove this person from my life - at this time, anyhow.

I do understand and sympathize. :grouphug::grouphug:

:cheers2: We're all in this together . . .

:grouphug: i totally understand, I also won't go into details but :grouphug: I always tell my kids that we love, we try to understand, and we do what is right not necessarily what feels good or what is easy but what we know in our hearts in right, The lord see's all and he re-compensates.

Yes, I've had this conversation with my kids as well. I find myself repeating this message to myself like a mantra at times.

I have a "crazy person" too. I have tried cutting said person out, but life was 10 times worse as "crazy" couldnt let me go, and thus would stop at nothing to have me back. SIGH. :grouphug:

There should be a dealing with crazies support club. I truly hate that it takes up so much of my life when all i want to do is be left alone.