Menu

Testing and Asperger's/ADHD/SID

Been a long time since I've been on the boards, so a quick intro:

I have two sons, homeschooled always. The oldest (DS8) is both profoundly academically gifted and diagnosed with ADHD, SID, and most recently--Asperger's. He has had serious behavioral issues since toddlerhood.

Which isn't really my point...

For the first time this year we started using a homeschool charter. It has been a good fit, we have had access to a couple of extracurricular classes and have not had to change our curriculum at all. We do what we do and once a month our Educational Faciliator writes it up so it fits the standards. Perfect.

Because we are in a charter, this is the first year he has had standardized testing. The results of the STAR test just came back. In reading he scored 90-100% accross all content areas. No surprise. In math he scored above 90 in all areas except--Place value/fractions/decimals (75% correct, still in the target proficiency range) and Addition/subtraction/multiplication/division where he got 63%!!

Additional pieces of information: The kids had three full days scheduled to take the test at their own pace at a school location. He finished the entire test in less than two hours, claiming it was super easy, that he had been careful and double checked all his answers like we practiced. He was the first student to finish by several hours.

When I talked to him about the math scores, he answered... "It's boring... I estimated." Talking with him about doing some more drill to work on those skills has led to a major breakdown this morning. His argument, "I know how to do it!"

I know he UNDERSTANDS the material, he can demonstrate that in conversation or practice. We had looked at the review booklets together and the problems were not nearly as challenging as the ones he does at home. I'm not worried about his abilities, he's enrolled one year above his peers, and doing work (including math) at a much higher level. And he still scored "proficient" in math and reading--but getting 92% in algebra and 63% in arithmatic tells me that he's rushing through and guessing rather than taking the time to do the work.

I'm more worried that he won't ever be able to demonstrate his abilities because of testing issues, behavioral issues, etc. I was a "quick and careless" test-taker as a child myself, I get that being careful in tests takes practice. But his behavioral issues complicate the matter... this is a child who goes from calm to enraged in sixty seconds when overstimulated or frustrated.

Ideas? Reflections? BTDT?

Hi there, Kay!

First a disclaimer: I think the standardized tests are written by a bunch of monkeys are are totally meaningless. I don't take the scores seriously AT ALL. The standardized tests are a catch-22 for us in California's charter schools. They are not mandatory, but the school has to have something like 90% of their students take it or they lose funding so our kids are pressured and bribed year after year to take them. The results don't matter to anyone, don't go in the student files. Every year I have to explain to your D&D buddy that yes it is a waste of time but he has to take it, that it is nothing more than a fund-raiser for the school!! He detests (no pun intended) those tests! And he never puts much effort into them. Just ask him about the multiple choice questions on poetry some time.:D

About test taking, though. My ADHD/Aspie kid finally went through all the special needs evaluation through the charter school and wound up with a 504 plan (I think that is the right set of numbers) which means he qualified for accommodations in classrooms and for testing. He took the tests in a separate location, usually in a room by himself. For the tests that mattered, such as the exit exam, it was a huge relief to have the accommodations as he had as long as he needed, and even was allowed to eat during the test. He knew the difference between the stupid yearly standardized tests and the tests that mattered, and issue of him not slowing down and taking care because something was boring and stupid weren't a concern. Sure he railed on and on about the stupidity to me after the test was done, but he'd focus on the test and be fine.

I know your child is fine. You know your child is fine. Is there any reason why he needs to prove this on a standardized test? I would join him in violently protesting any further drill!! With maturity will come more self-control and he will know to slow down and do a good job on any tests that matter, such as SATs or what have you.

Breathe. Move on. And I'll see you Friday!

See... I knew you would have a rational response, Jenn. I'm getting sucked in to the "school" mentality.

We are just in the process of getting all the testing done so he can get the special plan thingie. I've resisted it in the past thinking, what's the point of having diagnoses? Now I know he's test resistant...hmmm..

Hi there, Kay!

First a disclaimer: I think the standardized tests are written by a bunch of monkeys are are totally meaningless. I don't take the scores seriously AT ALL. The standardized tests are a catch-22 for us in California's charter schools. They are not mandatory, but the school has to have something like 90% of their students take it or they lose funding so our kids are pressured and bribed year after year to take them. The results don't matter to anyone, don't go in the student files. Every year I have to explain to your D&D buddy that yes it is a waste of time but he has to take it, that it is nothing more than a fund-raiser for the school!! He detests (no pun intended) those tests! And he never puts much effort into them. Just ask him about the multiple choice questions on poetry some time.:D

About test taking, though. My ADHD/Aspie kid finally went through all the special needs evaluation through the charter school and wound up with a 504 plan (I think that is the right set of numbers) which means he qualified for accommodations in classrooms and for testing. He took the tests in a separate location, usually in a room by himself. For the tests that mattered, such as the exit exam, it was a huge relief to have the accommodations as he had as long as he needed, and even was allowed to eat during the test. He knew the difference between the stupid yearly standardized tests and the tests that mattered, and issue of him not slowing down and taking care because something was boring and stupid weren't a concern. Sure he railed on and on about the stupidity to me after the test was done, but he'd focus on the test and be fine.

I know your child is fine. You know your child is fine. Is there any reason why he needs to prove this on a standardized test? I would join him in violently protesting any further drill!! With maturity will come more self-control and he will know to slow down and do a good job on any tests that matter, such as SATs or what have you.

Breathe. Move on. And I'll see you Friday!

You have no idea who I am...but I wish we could live in the same town and be best friends. Seriously. :smilielol5: You're strong and sensible, I admire that.

Geo

You have no idea who I am...but I wish we could live in the same town and be best friends. Seriously. :smilielol5: You're strong and sensible, I admire that.

Geo

Wow, thank you! I think my teen age boys might cough and sputter over my being considered sensible, but what a lovely thing for you to write. :001_smile: Made my day.