Menu

New thead- ss fraud....

It sounds as if your cards were stolen? If I'm understanding that correctly, contact the reporting bureaus. They will freeze your credit report for a predetermined time and put a fraud statement on there. Once the credit card companies know about the theft they will cancel the cards, but the credit bureaus will prevent your credit from suffering if any damage manages to get through.

Barb

I Googled "lost social security card" and this is what I found on the SS website. Hope it helps!

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/329/~/reporting-a-stolen-or-lost-social-security-card.

It sounds like there isn't much you can do besides monitor yourself carefully to make sure no one's stealing your identity. :/ The SS bureau doesn't keep track of lost or stolen SS cards.

Yeah, put a 'fraud alert' on your credit report. You can contact Equifax, TransUnion or Experian. If you report with one, they're supposed to report to all the others, but I'd go ahead and do it individually just to be safe. They have 1-800 numbers you can call and you do it over an automated system. Takes 30 seconds and it's super easy. It lasts for 6 months.

Yeah, put a 'fraud alert' on your credit report. You can contact Equifax, TransUnion or Experian. If you report with one, they're supposed to report to all the others, but I'd go ahead and do it individually just to be safe. They have 1-800 numbers you can call and you do it over an automated system. Takes 30 seconds and it's super easy. It lasts for 6 months.

I called all three of these and was unable to get anything at all accomplished. Two of them never would let me talk to a human and I couldn't get the non english as a first language person to understand what I wanted to do.

I called all three of these and was unable to get anything at all accomplished. Two of them never would let me talk to a human and I couldn't get the non english as a first language person to understand what I wanted to do.

You'll have to get a report from each of the three companies. The fraud alert number and instructions are on the report. Don't you love how they won't help you until you purchase their product first? Have you done your annual credit report yet? I'd start there because it's free.

Barb

Okay, I just tried TransUnion 800-680-7289

Enter ZIP code

Press 1 if you want to hear your rights, press 2 if not (I pressed 1)

Then it prompts you on how to put a fraud alert through the automated system.

You don't have to speak to a human. They should all have prompts on their automated system where you go through, punch in your SSN and it should just be done.

You'll have to get a report from each of the three companies. The fraud alert number and instructions are on the report. Don't you love how they won't help you until you purchase their product first? Have you done your annual credit report yet? I'd start there because it's free.

Barb

At least here in CA, you're entitled to one free credit report from each bureau per year. I just did all three of mine last week online. No charge.

Experian 1-888-397-3742 follow the prompts and choose the option that begins "if you believe your information is being used fraudulently. . . " and then it gives you the option to place a fraud alert.