Menu

HOP Master reader ?

simka2

My 7 year old is doing it now, and he loves it. It's hard to say if it's been super helpful or not, because his reading had just started really taking off when we got it...so he's definitely improving rapidly, but I don't know if I can attribute much of that to Master Reader. Although maybe so...he's also doing ETC, and there's a lot of overlap in the rules they present; I've noticed that he understands and retains them better when he sees them in MR. If nothing else, it's a way to get him to do phonics practice willingly, even eagerly. It's also nice that he can do it independently. I got a good deal on the older edition; I don't think it would have been worth it for us to pay the full price, just because he's going to go through it pretty quickly (there are 40 lessons, and he finishes one pretty much every day, then takes a few days off in between levels to read the chapter book that goes with it). He did it sporadically over the summer and then has been doing it regularly for 2 1/2 weeks now, and he'll probably finish it in another few weeks.

If you use the Slick50 code it will take 50% off anything you order on the HOP site. If you have a computer that uses Windows XP then go to the overstock section on their site and they are on sale for around $50 and then 50% off. If you have a computer that uses Vista you can get the upgrade for an additional $40 and then 50% off that.

I purchased the older version for my youngest --he's not at the level to be able to use it yet - but with his insistence to try it several times it's really helped him grasp blending.