Menu

Digital Tapestry Mamas

I had been feeling discontent with Tapestry, not because it's too little, but because there's so much... I know, I know, "Tapestry is a banquet, take what you like and leave the rest." But like I've mentioned to others, I'm the person who stands at the serving table, completely filled plate(s) in hand, and whines, "I really wanted cake. Why don't I have enough time for cake?" KWIM?

So I made the (very rash) decision to get Tapestry out of my house and just make my own plans as I had been doing for years pre-Tapestry. It was a great plan. I now remember WHY I started looking for a planned curriculum in the first place. Why was that again? Oh, yes, eight children.

We've been doing school for three weeks. This is the first week full on. Yesterday we started Bible at 9AM and with the exception of one very small Veggie Tales break while Mama laid on the couch :tongue_smilie:and the big kids did math, we really kept at it. We did NOT finish school yesterday but we stopped at twenty minutes 'til five.

This will NOT be my life. I refuse.

So, last night, talked it over with DH, and decided to stop pulling the SuperMama stunt where I piece together my own curriculum, and re-purchase Tapestry.

If you've followed along this far, bless you.

Here's what I'm wondering. Previously I had a printed edition because I like to sit at the table, cup of coffee in hand, and flip through real pages. :)

*However* that does NOT motivate me to make lesson plans.

I was thinking, perhaps, if I just went with digital, I'd be able sit down at the computer, decide what I wanted from the banquet, put it into my lesson plans, and walk away for 9 weeks, never to glance at all the things I painfully decided NOT to do.

Thoughts?

I really LOVE the idea of having both but wonder if it wouldn't be wasted on me. The biggest problem is that if I purchase digital, it's not able to be resold. So I want to be pretty sure.

Why can't you look at the printed version, make your choices for the next nine weeks, and put the binder away in the closet??

I applaud you for going with a planned curriculum! Your family needs you to be more available than you would be if you were planning schoolwork for EIGHT kids!! I can't believe you ever did THAT! You're amazing!

Maybe a silly question, but have you downloaded the DE sample? It might help make the decision since you are familiar with the print version already. I am new to TOG and decided to order the print for Y2 U1, to have that "sit at the table, cup of coffee in hand, and flip through real pages" feel. But, honestly, all the pages are beginning to overwhelm me. I think I may switch to the DE for the remaining units. Print what I need, leave the rest...

I am not overly concerned with resale because I am only using it with my 9th grader this year & will have to save it for my younger ones for awhile anyway. Plus, the free updates won't hurt in my case!

I've only had the digital for about 3 weeks now, but so far it hasn't replaced the print version in my mind and heart. :tongue_smilie: I bought both because it was only 20 dollars more to get the print, and I knew I would spend way more than that on toner if I decided to print it myself.

And I fully admit that the problem may be my computer. All the weeks are separate files, and so I have to open up a new file to look at a different week. It takes the new file about 5 seconds to open up on MY computer (might be different on other computers, though. My machine is getting old and slowing down.) I can flip the tab to another week on the printed version quite a bit faster. Also, when I want to quickly check something, like what week a certain book is used, it seems faster to pull the binder off the shelf rather than turning on the computer and pulling up the file.

Do you read the teacher's notes each week? Are you going to print those out? That's another thing to think about.

I will say, though, that most people seem to prefer the digital. I'm always a little different about those things.

I am new with TOG and only in my second official unit (first all out effort with all the DC) but I guess this is basically what I am doing. I figured with my oldest already in Dialetic that the overall use I'll get with my youngest being 2 years old was worth the unlimited subscription to DE.

I printed just the reading assignments and went through and marked all my books. I then put those into my lesson plans. So far I have two units planned out by week. I won't break them down for each week until we get there because so much changes around here. ;)

I then printed only what I needed now of the rest, that being just parts of the Teacher's Notes and discussion answers. I am going to try and teach myself to read some of the notes online so I don't have to print them all. I talked to TOG and when I get to rhetoric level with my DD, and really need every page with children at all levels, then I will probably buy the print copy to go along with my DE, with whatever updates occur between now and then, to save myself the copying. Then again, the DE version is definately growing on me after all the SL binders, I really love the search option too, so you never know.

I don't know if any of that helps but that is how we are using TOG.

Edited by melmichigan

And I fully admit that the problem may be my computer. All the weeks are separate files, and so I have to open up a new file to look at a different week. It takes the new file about 5 seconds to open up on MY computer (might be different on other computers, though. My machine is getting old and slowing down.)

You can look back and forth between all the weeks in a unit if you click browse the entire unit.

I am new to TOG and I went with DE + print because like you I need paper in my hands for my planning. I mainly did DE for backup and to qualify for the updates.

I don't see why you couldn't do what you propose with either version. Put the choices in to your planner and then close the program or the binder and go to it.

We start on the 23rd and I am so excited! Have fun!!

You can look back and forth between all the weeks in a unit if you click browse the entire unit.

:blush: You know, I almost didn't post because I figured I really hadn't given the DE enough of a chance to speak intelligently about it. I clicked on a few things, gave up, and went to my beloved print version.

Thanks for the tip. And sorry for the misinformation. :)

:blush: You know, I almost didn't post because I figured I really hadn't given the DE enough of a chance to speak intelligently about it. I clicked on a few things, gave up, and went to my beloved print version.

Thanks for the tip. And sorry for the misinformation. :)

Hey, it took me two weeks and a call to tech support to figure out my download was done incorrectly, on my part. Otherwise I would have been doing it the long way too. ;) I loved my SL binders, but DE kinda grows on you with all the options. :)