Menu

Christian Ladies - What is your favorite devotional book you would recommend?

Hi,

I am looking for a devotional book for a young lady (almost 19) for her birthday. She is a Christian who lives at home and attends community college.

I have looked over some teen devotionals and found them to be too young, and many of the ladies editions are often directed to a wife and or mother.

I recently received a Beth Moore devotional which I am enjoying, so I am possibly considering one of hers. I am open to suggestion. I really prefer one directed to females if possible in a gift book (hardback, maybe a padded cover, ribbon, etc) - one that would encourage her and deepen her walk.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Pam

Devotional for me is simple. I have devotional, devotional/prayer journal, prayer, Bible study, etc.

Devotional - Jesus Calling (Each page is less than 1 min to read)

Devotional/Prayer journal - Streams in the Desert (this is old time writing and very meaty. It makes you think hence a little more time consuming).

I'm not sure if that helps, but bless you for your effort. Sheryl <><

Devotional for me is simple. I have devotional, devotional/prayer journal, prayer, Bible study, etc.

Devotional - Jesus Calling (Each page is less than 1 min to read)

Devotional/Prayer journal - Streams in the Desert (this is old time writing and very meaty. It makes you think hence a little more time consuming).

I'm not sure if that helps, but bless you for your effort. Sheryl <><

I just bought Streams in the Desert. It looks like it is going to be a great one! I have also thought about buying Jesus Calling after I heard some women talking about it. Glad to know you like them both.

I'd second the Beth Moore, especially the Esther study.

I agree the Esther study is amazing.

But for devotional my personal favorite is Oswald Chambers - My Utmost for His Highest. Or Devotions for a Deeper Life. They both come in pretty editions - leather cover, can be personalized, etc.

They are more "devotional style" not bible studies. Esther (anything by Beth Moore really) takes some serious study time.

ETA: Praying God's Word is a good one if you (or someone you know) is having specific struggles. It lists verses that address specific sins/difficulties/struggles so it takes you straight to the Bible without commentary. It's by Beth Moore also

Edited by TXMomof4

Thank you ladies for these excellent suggestions.

Natalieclaie, after reading a few of these posts, I have read sample pages at CBD. That has been helpful too. The Jesus Calling actually gave about 4 days worth for their sample. Some of the others did not have so much included.

Pam

C. H. Spurgeon's Morning and Evening has been my favorite for years. It is wonderful!

:iagree:

Christian Focus Publications makes a small, leatherbound copy of this which is great for gifts.

I also like Stepping Heavenward by Elisabeth Prentiss. Not strictly a devotional book, but very encouraging and challenging for a a woman of any age. Great read, great gift.

Another that I like is A. W. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy. Short chapters, very substantive.