Menu

Real Science Odyssey

miracleone

I bought the Real Science Odyssey (Life Science) to use with my 3rd grader. I didn't realized that it's all plain black and white and I need to supplement with lots of library books. How can I make it interesting? My daughter did the first unit and complained to me that it's boring. She likes colors and interesting text. I wished I had bought something that is a complete package (books included) so I don't have to get too many books from the library. Many people seemed to like it. Please advise how I can make it more interesting without going overboard with experiments. Thank you!

We are using REAL Science Earth & Space this year. It's our first time using the series. It does require supplementing with books from home and the library, but so far we are happy. What we do is read a book or watch a DVD appropriate to that week's unit/labs. Then we spread the labs out over a few days (depending on how many). Science is 2x a week for us, so week 1, day 1 is book/DVD and the FMN (for my notebook) page. Usually the kids will draw/write something on the back regarding the book/DVD we used. Then week 1, day 2 is a lab, and week 2 is usually labs or the next unit.

I bought the program because of the labs - I am good when it comes to reading and watching DVDs but am very bad when it comes to anything that requires prep and/or mess. So far our labs have been very doable without feeling like I'm running a full earth science lab in my kitchen. Maybe if you can get some relevant books and/or DVDs on hold from the library it'll help make the subject more "living" than just the dryness of the FMN pages and the lab sheets.

In the long run, I think I'd like the organization and ease of the labs in REAL Science Odyssey and the books that come included and scheduled with NOEO science. I hope some of my rambling helped. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one using it and having to go hunt down books and DVDs to supplement. I think for me, at least, it's easier to hunt down the books to read than it is to plan out the labs, so for that reason REAL S.O. is working well.

We just switched to RSO after having tried other programs. Like MyLittleWonders, I also bought it for the fun labs. After having tried a program that included absolutely nothing, yet had great ideas that we could never get to, as there was too much prep-work involved, RSO is just perfect. We also looked at programs that looked too simple. I ended up looking for the perfect balance of easy-to-prepare, fun, and hands-on science, that we could actually get to every week.

We are having so much fun with RSO, my daughter is begging me to do RSO-Chemistry at the same time as RSO Life!

Most science programs I've looked into didn't include books, so that isn't an issue with me, I have no problem going to the library or buying them.

I agree with everyone. It's great for labs. I am also doing Life and supplementing with books. I do think the NOEO books with RSO is a great combination. You can try looking there for a booklist. I know RSO also has a booklist in front of the guide that should give you some ideas.

I'm going to start it in a couple of weeks. One thing that I am going to do is get together with my neighbor for the labs. I have a 2nd grade ds. She has 1st grade and Pre-K sons.

There are website links if you don't want to have to get the library books. Have you thought about buying some general science books that would cover several topics, instead of having to get a lot of individual books? You might could even find some used textbooks that would have sections you could read and get some color. I've found some at local thrift stores.

If you have a Scholastic Warehouse near you, ours have sales a couple of times a year and homeschoolers are allowed in. I've been developing quite a science library from them.

I liked it alot. We are E&A this year too. I purchase this series because we can supplement or deviate. I have a guided path so to speak.

You are supposed to read the text aloud. This is not something that is to be done silently, especially in level ones. You have discussion. You read additional resources. We love the Magic Schoolbus series! We visit the library and dig some more, not always what is listed. I purchase one or two of the supplemental activity books or search online ....

I suppose this is not a traditional curriculum, but more a guided path of discovery to learn. I believe science must be discovered and not memorized (not that vocabulary can be skipped, lol). :)