Menu

Is going camping the week the baby is due completely crazy?

Estrella War, a week long SCA (medieval re-enactment) event, is Feb 14-21, 2011. Baby is due Feb 22, 2011. I'm on the staff for the event, as the youth center coordinator. All the youth activities except for youth combat are my responsibility, and no replacement has been (or is likely to be) found for me. We haven't missed the event but once since DD was born, and she'll be very disappointed if we can't go.

Is it completely insane to plan to go, with a willingness to revise plans as the event approaches? Most of my SCA friends think so, though DH doesn't think so (he probably won't be able to go because of his school schedule) and neither does at least 1 fellow homeschooling mom I know who has daytripped to the event.

Most of the group I usually camp with are undecided about going this year, too. Many of them want to take a trip to Europe or else go to Pennsic (a larger summer event back East) next year. That means finding people to camp with.

Edited by Ravin

Let me get this straight:

• Second baby
  • DH not going (probably)
  • Won't be with your usual group
  • You're in charge

I vote for crazy. :D

But :grouphug: for you and DD because I can imagine how hard it is to miss.

My kids love the few SCA events we've attended, but this just seems like too much. The chances of something going wrong just seem too high.

• Second baby

• You're in charge

My kids love the few SCA events we've attended, but this just seems like too much. The chances of something going wrong just seem too high.

:iagree:As much as you hate to miss it, I definitely would not take a chance since this is your 2nd baby and who knows when it will decide to arrive and how FAST it may come out!

There are midwives at these things. ;) My sister went camping when her dc was a week old. Mine are always at least 10 days early. The last babe was UC... so... bathroom, tent, ren faire...does it matter where, really? :)

Any insensitive joking aside (meant good naturedly), I'd plan to go. If the baby is early, late, or on time, you'll be sorry you didn't. And if you won't be, there is your answer.

• Second baby

• You're in charge

:iagree:

My second baby was already 3 weeks old by the time her due date came around—and my first was almost 2 weeks late. There are too many "ifs" in the scenario you described. I can understand your disappointment, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea at. all. (hmm...maybe that's my dislike for camping talking) and that's especially true if your DH won't be there. If the children's activities are important to the others involved, they will find a replacement for you; if not, you can always jump back in the following year.

Edited by WordGirl

I suppose it depends on how independent you are.

Will you have someone to drive you to the hospital? If yes, go to the event

Will you be within range of your regular doctor/hospital? If yes, go to the event

Will you be okay with a strange doctor/hospital? If yes, go to the event.

Will you be able to call dh and let him know where you, dd and new baby are (going)? If yes, go to the event.

I don't see how you would be "taking a chance" or any kind of danger happening just because you are away from home when it is time to deliver. But I'm not one to wring my hands and worry about "what if?" too much.

There are midwives at these things. ;) My sister went camping when her dc was a week old. Mine are always at least 10 days early. The last babe was UC... so... bathroom, tent, ren faire...does it matter where, really? :)

Any insensitive joking aside (meant good naturedly), I'd plan to go. If the baby is early, late, or on time, you'll be sorry you didn't. And if you won't be, there is your answer.

:iagree: Worst case - you either have a baby there (it will add to the reality, right?) or there will be a whole lot of drama surrounding the ambulance coming to get you.:lol: Either way, you have a great story...

ETA: If they don't have a replacement for you now, what's the difference? They'll either pick up the slack now or they'll figure it out when if you have the baby early.

Edited by Renee in FL

• Second baby

• You're in charge

:iagree: I would not want to give birth in a strange hospital with my dh somewhere else and a child to take care of and have other people have to take care of me and all the rest of it. Since there would be a reasonable probability that that would happen, I wouldn't want to chance it.

How close will you be to assistance if you need it? Will you have a birthing plan that can accomodate going into labour at the event? Those are the questions I would need to have answered before deciding to go at all.

As for being involved in organizing... it would be too much stress for me, personally. I do not enjoy 'working' up the the last minute before a baby comes. But your personality might be different, and this could be no big deal for you. Maybe think about what you really wanted to be doing during the days before your daughter was born, and see if this experience would be a fit for those preferences.

The week my 2nd dd was due, while living in WA., we went on a homeschool field trip many hours from home, out in the wilds, to have a *whale watch* in a secluded cove by the sea. Now for a gal from Texas, that was a big deal, and I wouldn't have missed it. :D Everyone seemed so very concerned for me walking up all those steep, rocky trails...but it was a very wonderful day. Now that bumpy bus ride on the way home was a little, well, my dd was born early the next morning! I hope you have a wonderful time!

No, not crazy if you feel sensible when planning it! But then I can cope with the idea of unassisted tent-birth, and took ds camping (on a beach, no facilities) when he was a couple of weeks old.

Having said that - the camping trip was planned for 3 weeks before he was due, and he arrived a couple of days before that. I needed a quick emergency C-section and travelling at night for an hour over unlit mountains would have been, umm, interesting.

I expected the C-section, didn't expect the early labour.

In short, I vote not crazy but do try to look at your plans objectively, figure out worse-case scenarios and see if you would be happy to cope with them.

Nikki

I honestly immediately thought "that is CRAZY!!" when I read the title and then "OMG, camping for a WHOLE week - that is just INSANE!" LOL but not really for any of the reasons that anyone else listed.

For me, the last week or so of my pregnancy was soooo uncomfortable. I could not sleep in my bed with my arsenal of pillows. I can't imagine sleeping in a tent or on a cot in a cabin or somethin equally rustic at the end of my pregnancy.

But I do agree with some of the points other posters made - I would not feel comfortable if I was far from my midwife and got whatever crappy MD was on call at the local ER. BUt I had a very specific birth plan in mind for myself.

Also, being in charge of the youth program may be a bit too much to take on at that stage of pregnancy- what f the babe comes early, or while you are there, or you are just plain exhausted at that point - it is better to go as a guest and let someone else deal with that crazness of being in charge of all those kids. ANd more fair for them than having to scramble for someone to take your place at the last minute...

Okay, thinking more, I wanted to add a bit to my previous "whoa, that's crazy!"... :)

It's not being far away from a hospital that concerns me so much. As I said, I went UA with my second, and I would happily plan for that again. ... I would *not* however want to have a baby amidst a jillion other people at a campground. I want privacy, and there'd just be no chance of that. Whether you would plan to stay there (with or without a midwife) or be transported to the nearest hospital or birth center. Whatever you do, if you go into labor while there, there'll be a lot of chaos. That's the last thing I want during labor.

As others have said, if the baby is born after, you'll be so *very* uncomfortable camping at 9+ months pregnant. ... Okay, I should amend that. *I* would be so very uncomfortable. I suppose some might just love camping while hugely pregnant, but it sounds just awful to me. ;) Hard enough to get even remotely comfortable at home, moving between the bed, the couch, a soft chair, the floor, the shower...

And what about the program for the kids? This is a second baby and you could easily go into labor before or during the camp. Who will take over then?!? ... I honestly think it would be better for someone *else* to step in sooner (and be able to follow through) than for you to work up to the end and then suddenly need someone else to come up to speed on everything.

As others have said, I would also want to be nearer my husband if possible at that point. I know many women have babies while their husbands are deployed, etc, and I know I'd make the best of that if I *needed* to... But I wouldn't choose to be far away if I didn't have to.

If you were due just a few weeks further out, my answer might be different. But for me? This is just too close.

I think "uncomfortable" sums up why I wouldn't personally even consider it. Having to worry about being in charge of a big event instead of focusing on getting ready for a new baby, sleeping in a tent and not in my own bed, and wondering if I would go into labor and have to deliver somewhere unfamiliar with a doctor I don't even know all sound terribly uncomfortable to me and would not be worth the stress—but I am not the OP. If *you* would be comfortable with all of these factors, then you may make a different decision.

Parrothead's questions seemed the most comprehensive.

I would make sure I had someone willing to drive me home at a moment's notice if I went into labor (and pack out our gear afterward, or I could send DH out for it maybe). We are planning a homebirth.

I could have the birth kit along and talk to the NMD about the feasibility of her coming to me at the event, too. There are also various heathcare professionals who volunteer in the first aid station (another thing I usually do at this event, but probably won't much this year because of running Children's and being very pg), and "Doc" who runs a free urgent care out of a tent on merchant's row on an as-needed basis (when he's not on the battlefield fighting, that is). He's an emergency room doctor in real life. The first aid station (Chirurgeon's Point) is always well-heated and has cots and clean blankets if nothing else. Also there are EMT's on call on site at all times during the event.

DD was almost 2 weeks late and at that was induced and then C-sectioned. I'd rather have the baby in a tent at War than go to the hospital, to tell the truth.:tongue_smilie:

I suppose it depends on how independent you are.

Will you have someone to drive you to the hospital? If yes, go to the event

Will you be within range of your regular doctor/hospital? If yes, go to the event

Will you be okay with a strange doctor/hospital? If yes, go to the event.

Will you be able to call dh and let him know where you, dd and new baby are (going)? If yes, go to the event.

I don't see how you would be "taking a chance" or any kind of danger happening just because you are away from home when it is time to deliver. But I'm not one to wring my hands and worry about "what if?" too much.

DD was almost 2 weeks late and at that was induced and then C-sectioned. I'd rather have the baby in a tent at War than go to the hospital, to tell the truth.:tongue_smilie:

After having experienced two inductions, I agree! Our mates were trying to convince us to have our baby at Festival (Lochac's biggest event) and one of them was a midwife, hehehe. Dh said no :001_huh: :lol:

I was, apparently, a high risk pregnancy due to diabetes, so I didn't try to persuade him. I daresay I'd have enjoyed the experience more though.

Good luck whichever you choose.

;)

Nawojka

How far away are you from home at this event?

Also, honestly, if finding someone to replace you now is difficult, how much more difficult will it be to replace you at the last minute if the baby comes early?

I think it's fine to go as a guest, IF you are within an hour of home. Any further than that and I'd be worried about your DH missing the birth, or you being very uncomfortable in labor on the way home.

And FYI, my first was 40 hours of labor then a c-section. My second was a homebirth, and was less than 8 hours start to finish...second babies CAN be quicker, although VBAC's usually aren't. And good luck on the HBAC!! Mine was great!

I'm voting for crazy. Sorry, just my opinion.

:iagree: I wouldn't even consider this trip. Then again I was enormously uncomfortable due to babies in the 9-10lb range and had a ruptured placenta during one labor, so wouldn't purposely do anything that would put me any additional distance from the hospital.

Real life lesson for DD is that sometimes in life we have to prioritize and bringing little brother into the world safely is more important than a camping trip. But I'm getting the feeling maybe *you're* the one really wanting to do this? I'm right now taking a break from packing for a camping trip I'm taking kids on without my husband, and trust me, I could be talked out of it pretty easily. No matter how important your responsibilities are at the event, someone will be found to replace you or they will adjust the plan. They'd have to do it anyway if timing of the baby didn't work out.

Reading your latest post, it sounds like you really want to go and would be ok with actually birthing the baby there if it came to that. Is it a quick trip to home if you went into labour and wanted to get back there?

I do think you would be best to find a partner to help you run things so that there's someone ready to step in if you decide you don't want to go at the last minute, or go into labour while there. At least then you'd feel like you were free to do whatever your body wanted/needed, rather than feeling pressured to do more than you are able because of obligations.

Either way, listen to your instincts and go with the choice that feels good to you! :D

I have a deputy who can run things, but she's never done the set up or even really seen what it looks like, so I'd at least like to supervise set-up (and I do mean supervise, it's not me who's going to be doing the heavy lifting!) We're also planning on having volunteers with background checks to do shifts in Children's, so that if I'm out it can at least stay open.

And yes, I really do want to go.

Edited by Ravin

Sorry, I have to go with the no way group. Once I saw you were a previous c/s my vote changed to no. Way to many what if scenairos after c/s for me to feel cozy about camping during the final weeks of pg.

I just have to jump in here and say that VBACs are not that risky at all. I'm assuming she's been already cleared as "low risk" given that she is having a homebirth, which means her risk factors are about the same as anyone elses. The only real difference is an increased chance of rupture, but as long as her placenta isn't implanted on/near the scar even that is not the catastrophe it sounds like. Besides, ruptures occur LESS often than any other complication in pregnancy, so generally if something is safe for a pregnant woman with no prior c-section than it is safe for someone with a prior c-section.

Not picking on you, but I had a VBAC a few months ago and find that most people don't realize that the chance of say, cord prolapse in a pregnant woman is higher than the chance of a uterine rupture in a vbac. And yet no one ever says that pregnant women should avoid xyz because of the risk of prolapse.

Stepping off my soapbox now...

Haven't read all the other replies, but here's my 2 cents.

Have you considered how your having an emergency (delivery related or baby in distress) on site might disrupt activities and leave them in the lurch midstream?

Or if you deliver the day you are supposed to leave, leaving them without a key staff member?

In my experience, the "nobody else likely to step up" dilemma only really gets solved when a position is actually vacant. Let them know *now* that you do not plan to be there and they will have more time to fill the gap. Better that than leaving them without a key staff member at the last minute.

If you end up getting to go, you can enjoy it with perhaps few responsibilities. If not, you have given them every opportunity to see that the job gets done in your absence.

Just my pair o'pennies.

I went camping about three weeks before my oldest was due. It wasn't comfortable, but it was ok.

Honestly, my body works just as well no matter where I go, so if I go into labor in an unexpected place, I do the same thing there that I do here -- have my baby and make everyone leave me alone until I'm done.

I don't think so but then again I planned a similar trip while pregnant with my fifth child. One week before my due date dh, a friend, and myself took my other 4 kids and 8 thirteen yr olds four hours away to the beach for my dd's 13th birthday party. We had planned it long in advance, complete with renting a large beach house. We were to stay there for 3 days. My due date was farther away and was moved up. The biggest issue is the day I left I was dilated to a little over 2 cm. I had never dilated before being induced with any of my four other children. My doc told me to go if I was comfortable so I went. I wouldn't change it for the world. Dh drove his truck and I drove the suburban with my friend. (kids in each) This way if I went into labor, my husband could use one truck to take me to hospital and friend could still drive home with my daughter's friends. My friend is also a photographer so we joked that at least I would have great shots if I went into labor. Ended up having a great weekend and didn't go into labor at all. Had to be induced a couple of days after I got home.

I just have to jump in here and say that VBACs are not that risky at all. I'm assuming she's been already cleared as "low risk" given that she is having a homebirth, which means her risk factors are about the same as anyone elses. The only real difference is an increased chance of rupture, but as long as her placenta isn't implanted on/near the scar even that is not the catastrophe it sounds like. Besides, ruptures occur LESS often than any other complication in pregnancy, so generally if something is safe for a pregnant woman with no prior c-section than it is safe for someone with a prior c-section.

Not picking on you, but I had a VBAC a few months ago and find that most people don't realize that the chance of say, cord prolapse in a pregnant woman is higher than the chance of a uterine rupture in a vbac. And yet no one ever says that pregnant women should avoid xyz because of the risk of prolapse.

Stepping off my soapbox now...

Not feeling picked on at all:001_smile: but having been on the otherside where something goes wrong it happens fast and seconds count. When you have a VBAC go wrong your view changes. Before second son I would have voted no worries go but had I not been in hospital doing my VBAC the outcome woud have been much different. Yes, the risk is low that something go wrong but is the outcome worth the risk? For me I would not feel cozy and warm about it but then I do not like camping either so mabye that is creeping in too.

Not feeling picked on at all:001_smile: but having been on the otherside where something goes wrong it happens fast and seconds count. When you have a VBAC go wrong your view changes. Before second son I would have voted no worries go but had I not been in hospital doing my VBAC the outcome woud have been much different. Yes, the risk is low that something go wrong but is the outcome worth the risk? For me I would not feel cozy and warm about it but then I do not like camping either so mabye that is creeping in too.

From the sound of it OP is planning a home birth. What is the difference between a home birth at home 30 minutes from the hospital and a home birth in a tent 30 minutes from the hospital?

Aside from the obvious comfort and the possible disruption of the ren faire events issues ,there really is no difference. If something bad is going to happen 30 minutes (or 3 hours) into it, it does not matter if she is home or in a tent or in all honesty in the shopping mall.

Your argument re: home birth after VBAC vs. hospital birth after VBAC is more reasonable than the others. But still unless she is already in the hospital for some reason it doesn't really matter where OP is when labor starts.

Did all of you that are saying no not leave the house the week before you were due?

Edited by Parrothead

:tongue_smilie:Add to realistic drama of the event?

I would let the folks running the event know that you MAY be there..as a GUEST...but that is the week you are due to give birth so they need to find another person to do the youth stuff this time around.

:iagree:This is what I'd probably do.

However, are you keeping your plans because YOU want to be in charge, you want to keep your position? OR do you feel like you're the only one who will step up and you'd rather just enjoy the festivities and have the workload off your mind?

Well, the fact that you are attempting VBAC gives me pause but really I don't see the difference in VBAC at home or in a tent if both are the same distance from the hospital. Besides, I agree w/ a PP that it sounds like you've already made up your mind. ;) So, rest up, stay hydrated, stay off of your feet as much as possible, and have fun!

Find a really great Renaissance Faire to go to this fall with your dd. :)

(Skip the one in February as you've already got plans.) ;)

You could also plan on having your own medieval weekend at home about a month ahead of time. Plan it for when dh will be available as well. You can even choose to go without electricity - no lights or electronics - and use candles and all. They can both dress up, and maybe with some adjustments to your costume you can too. Plan meals and games accordingly, and have some fun with it. Maybe she can even have a friend over.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I have a deputy who can run things, but she's never done the set up or even really seen what it looks like, so I'd at least like to supervise set-up (and I do mean supervise, it's not me going to be doing the heavy lifting!) We're also planning on having volunteers with background checks to do shifts in Children's, so that if I'm out it can at least stay open.

And yes, I really do want to go.

Then go - supervise the set up. Then let your deputy run things. If you have volunteers doing shifts, she or he will be fine. You will then have the choice (depending on how you're feeling of staying and wandering or parking yourself somewhere or on going home or even to the hospital if need be.) I don't remember how old your dd is. Can someone you trust take charge of your dd there so that she can do the things she wants to do but can be driven home if you decide to leave earlier?

I would make sure I had someone willing to drive me home at a moment's notice if I went into labor (and pack out our gear afterward, or I could send DH out for it maybe). We are planning a homebirth.

I could have the birth kit along and talk to the NMD about the feasibility of her coming to me at the event, too. There are also various heathcare professionals who volunteer in the first aid station (another thing I usually do at this event, but probably won't much this year because of running Children's and being very pg), and "Doc" who runs a free urgent care out of a tent on merchant's row on an as-needed basis (when he's not on the battlefield fighting, that is). He's an emergency room doctor in real life. The first aid station (Chirurgeon's Point) is always well-heated and has cots and clean blankets if nothing else. Also there are EMT's on call on site at all times during the event.

Oh hey, I know Doc. Or "knew," I should say, since it's been years. Small world.

Honestly, I think it is a really bad idea. With your first plan, to go home and have a homebirth there once you go into labor... how far is it? What are the roads like? What are the roads like in bad weather? If you ran out of time to get home, would you be car birthing at the side of the road?

If something went wrong and you or the baby needed medical care quickly, what would the hospitals near Estrella be like, and how far are they? What would happen to your daughter if you were birthing at Estrella without your husband and you had to have an emergency transfer to the hospital? You say that you wouldn't even be camping with your usual group.

If you're thinking about using the first aid station and/or the onsite health care, it would probably be a good idea to first check with the Estrella medical providers about how they'd feel about getting involved in a VBAC outside the hospital. They're expecting to be there for food poisoning, sprained ankles, heat exhaustion, fighting injuries, and stuff like that, right? They probably wouldn't have the equipment to take care of a newborn in distress, and even if you're totally comfortable with the idea of a no-tech birth, that doesn't mean they will be.

There may also be implications for Estrella as a whole - for example, their event insurance, or (if the site is rented) their ability to use the site in the future - if you birth there and something goes wrong. So I'd think it would only be fair to check it out with the... is it still the seneschal, for something as large as a war?

Having an unassisted birth at a crowded event in a close-knit social community like the SCA is very different from having an unassisted birth in the privacy of your own home. Unless you're the most quiet birther ever, people are going to know it's happening. And it's going to bother/worry people. I know that advocates of unassisted birth believe that it is very safe, but most other people don't believe that - so they would think there was something incredibly dangerous was happening on site. It seems unfair to put your community in the situation of either trying to ignore what's going on in the next tent or trying to decide whether or how to intervene.

I think it is verging on crazy, but I can understand why you want to make it work.

1. There are so many unknowns. With that many unknowns, I would not take on the actual job of set up, but take this opportunity to train someone. You just can't guarantee that you will be able to be there. I was great all during my pregnancy with my dd, but that last week my legs started swelling and the doctor ordered me to stay down and keep my legs up.

2. If you do go, no matter what your responsibilities are at that time, I think that "Doc", should be given a heads up. Ask him what he thinks, since your decision could involve him. Actually, your decision sounds like it could involve quite a few people, so check with those people to come up with a good plan, whether that is to minimize your leadership or physical work during that event or miss it altogether.

I know I would be doing the same thing you are doing right now. When I want to do something, I start to figure out all the ways it could work, even to the point that I am closing my ears and saying "La la la la la" to any reason. Don't forget to take a few minutes to look at the worst case scenario, too, weigh it and see if it is worth the risk. I hope something satisfactory works out for you. :)

priorities.

that's all.

decide what they are, and then make your decisions based on them.

fwiw,

ann

ps. with dd#1, i worked through the first eight hours of labour. but.... work was only 15 minutes from the hospital, closer than home, i worked in a social work office with lots of good people that i knew really well, dh was deployed so wasn't going to be able to be present anyway, and i had no other children for whom i was responsible. that last one is the deal breaker for me in your situation. if anything goes wrong, i would not want my dd abandoned at an event, even with folks i knew really well. and i would want to know my dh was going to be present...

Find a really great Renaissance Faire to go to this fall with your dd. :)

(Skip the one in February as you've already got plans.) ;)

You could also plan on having your own medieval weekend at home about a month ahead of time. Plan it for when dh will be available as well. You can even choose to go without electricity - no lights or electronics - and use candles and all. They can both dress up' date=' and maybe with some adjustments to your costume you can too. Plan meals and games accordingly, and have some fun with it. Maybe she can even have a friend over.[/quote']

Lol, that's a bit like telling someone who's missing the Mardi Gras in Brazil to stay home and play musical chairs with masks bought from the $2 shop. It just doesn't hit the spot.

:)

Rosie

F

Did all of you that are saying no not leave the house the week before you were due?

Not leaving the house and going far enough away from home that you have to camp out for a week are two different things. And as I already said, I already had a baby the week before I was due. :)

Edited by WordGirl

Estrella War, a week long SCA (medieval re-enactment) event, is Feb 14-21, 2011. Baby is due Feb 22, 2011. I'm on the staff for the event, as the youth center coordinator. All the youth activities except for youth combat are my responsibility, and no replacement has been (or is likely to be) found for me. We haven't missed the event but once since DD was born, and she'll be very disappointed if we can't go.

Is it completely insane to plan to go, with a willingness to revise plans as the event approaches? Most of my SCA friends think so, though DH doesn't think so (he probably won't be able to go because of his school schedule) and neither does at least 1 fellow homeschooling mom I know who has daytripped to the event.

Most of the group I usually camp with are undecided about going this year, too. Many of them want to take a trip to Europe or else go to Pennsic (a larger summer event back East) next year. That means finding people to camp with.

Ravin, you should probably have backup care lined up ahead of time should you go into labor during the week. I have a great midwife in the area you can call if you decide to go through with this. If she doesn't feel comfortable with it (although I have a feeling she'd do it), I also know of 5 or 6 others. PM me if you're interested.

Barb

• Second baby

• You're in charge

:iagree::iagree: