Menu

Galloping the Globe - can this be used secularly?

Allearia

I used it when my son was around K age and it was one of our best years ever. You absolutely can use it secularly. I really only used the main book, the Children Around the World Book and then I used their book list suggestions to pick up things from the library. I also just did general searches on whatever country we were studying. We did hands on activities and watched a video series called A Family From (whatever country). It was so much fun.

Lisa

We're using it and although we're not trying to use it secularly, we're not using any of the Bible portions, so like the PP poster stated, the Bible is just a section and you don't have to use it.

We used GtG in preK and K and loved it. Like others have said, Bible is a separate subject and can easily be left off. We didn't use their science recommendation, Considering God's Creation, as that is one of my least favorite books ever. (As a former graphic designer, I think the layout and printing is terrible. Page layout is too crowded. Academically, I think it would be good for young elementary, but all that tiny cutting and pasting and small font would kill most elementary age children.) I easily added in science books from the library to fill in those spots.

I love making up unit studies and probably could have pulled together something on my own, but I loved how this book pulled everything together - native animals, famous artist/writers/composer, food, landmarks, etc.

My son still talks fondly about our GtG studies and pulls out the little notebooks we made for each country.