Menu

Purchasing "New" receiving Used

I purchased 2 books from the same seller on Amazon. The books that I ordered were listed as new, but when I received them they were clearly in used condition. What would you do?

Here's the background .... These are books that I'm going to use with SL Core 1. I couldn't get them new directly from Amazon and I didn't want to pay shipping from SL so I ordered them through a third party seller. With shipping they were the same price that I would have paid new from SL without the shipping cost. When I ordered them I requested that the seller mail them priority since I had ordered two books and had to pay $3.99 per book shipping. It wasn't a problem and I received the books in a couple of days. However when I opened up the books they are clearly USED. I'm a little snobby about my books and prefer to buy them new. I don't want to be unreasonable and the seller offered me a partial refund. She asked what percentage I would be willing to accept. I paid $3.99 for one book and $4.50 for the other. They both retail for $6.99. I also paid $3.99 each for shipping. The books don't look even close to new in my opinion, what would you be willing to pay for them? The shipping cost her $4.90.

That's what I was thinking. I'm still kind of irritated though because I could have gotten them from another seller brand new for just a couple of dollars more. I went with this seller because she looked like she might be a homeschool mom. I figured these were books that she might not have used or if she did they still looked brand new. When I spoke with Amazon directly they told me I should expect a full refund.

Was the condition listed as new? There is a very specific definition as to what new condition means. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200143590&qid=1281478615&sr=1-1 If these books don't meet that definition then you should get a full refund.

Yes the condition was definitely listed as NEW. I called Amazon directly to confirm that the condition was listed as new. Do you think in this situation I should be expected to return the books before receiving a refund? If that's the case I wouldn't do it without a tracking number and would have even more money out of pocket. This is why I'm so torn about what to do.

ETA: If I were to rate this book based on the above link I would rate it as Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.

Edited by anotherbrother

Yes the condition was definitely listed as NEW. I called Amazon directly to confirm that the condition was listed as new. Do you think in this situation I should be expected to return the books before receiving a refund? If that's the case I wouldn't do it without a tracking number and would have even more money out of pocket. This is why I'm so torn about what to do.

ETA: If I were to rate this book based on the above link I would rate it as Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.

Well, you asked what I would do. I would not spend any more time or money on it. I would use the good copy for the year. Then I would either sell it or put it on the shelf and not look at it anymore! I would be irritated though.

Both times I've experienced this--once as a buyer and once as a seller--full refunds were given with no expectation of returning the book. Another time when I first started selling I wound up buying a new book from Amazon and had it delivered to my buyer. Good sellers will take care of customers when it's their mistake.

If it's the buyer's mistake or buyer doesn't want the item, buyer pays return shipping. If it's the seller's mistake, the seller pays return shipping (many don't bother on inexpensive items).

I would ask for a full refund or a postage paid envelope to return the book. Likely they'll deal with you since the seller doesn't want a ding on their ratings. If they won't budge take pictures of the item right away and you can dispute it.

You should get an item as described. If I'm getting a one cent book I'm more flexible.

Well, you asked what I would do. I would not spend any more time or money on it. I would use the good copy for the year. Then I would either sell it or put it on the shelf and not look at it anymore! I would be irritated though.

Well at least I got a laugh out of that. You're probably right I shouldn't spend anymore time on it. I'm just trying to figure out if I should insist on a full refund or accept a partial refund. I can probably suck it up and deal with the "good" book for the year.

I purchased a $!00 college text for dd this yr from a seller on Amazon. It too was listed as new ad arrived with some cover wear to the paperback covers and a 1 inch tear to the paper on the binding.

Emailed seller and never received anything back.

To avoid hassle, we're keeping the book and learning our lesson.

He will get a bad rating though from me.

:auto: To rate him now!!!

I would ask for a full refund or a postage paid envelope to return the book. Likely they'll deal with you since the seller doesn't want a ding on their ratings. If they won't budge take pictures of the item right away and you can dispute it.

:iagree:

If the seller were uncooperative I would just leave poor feedback and move on. I'm not sure what else you can do.

I purchased a $!00 college text for dd this yr from a seller on Amazon. It too was listed as new ad arrived with some cover wear to the paperback covers and a 1 inch tear to the paper on the binding.

Just FYI, I've had this happen to me before and Amazon's A to Z Guarantee resulted in a full refund.

I've found Amazon's customer service to be impeccable. I also got to keep the book.

When a college textbook is free, a torn binding doesn't irritate me nearly as much. ;)

:iagree:

If the seller were uncooperative I would just leave poor feedback and move on. I'm not sure what else you can do.

You can dispute the transaction through Amazon if the item was not as stated in the listing. They will then issue a forced refund (I think). Currently the seller has responded and has offered me a partial refund, but it really bothers me that she lied about the condition of the books. I bought them from her so that I didn't have to buy from more than one seller.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Somewhere under the info for this order on Amazon, there is a place for you to report a problem. I have probably had to do this twice (having bought at least 100 books used through Amazon, so not too bad). Amazon will see that you get your money back. Both times, the seller has told me to keep the book rather than bother sending it back and I suspect they thought I was lucky in the end. Not so, as I am very picky about the condition of my books so I didn't want it. I wanted the new or like new book I ordered!

Somewhere under the info for this order on Amazon, there is a place for you to report a problem. I have probably had to do this twice (having bought at least 100 books used through Amazon, so not too bad). Amazon will see that you get your money back. Both times, the seller has told me to keep the book rather than bother sending it back and I suspect they thought I was lucky in the end. Not so, as I am very picky about the condition of my books so I didn't want it. I wanted the new or like new book I ordered!

I am in contact with the seller. She first offered me a partial refunded. I have responded and told her that I wanted a full refund. I'm still waiting to hear back on that.

I am also very picky about the condition of my books.

I've ordered dozens of books from used sellers on Amazon and I've only had problems with the condition twice. One was "fulfilled by Amazon" so I just returned it using their return shipping label (free to me) and received a full refund. The other was an expensive textbook, which was listed as "Like New" but turned out to be full of writing and highlighting, with a totally beat up cover. The seller refunded the full price, plus the cost of return shipping. The textbook was still worth about $40 even in "Acceptable" condition, so obviously she wanted it back.

To the OP — I think if you want to buy new, you should ask the seller for a full refund including the cost of return shipping. She will probably tell you to just keep the books, but if not, at least you will be able to buy the new copies you want.

Jackie

Once the item we received was totally different from what was pictured. ISBN didn't match at all. The seller INSISTED that I was at fault and sent me a few rude emails about my buyer's remorse. I forwarded all the correspondance to amazon and was issued a refund.

I had that happen also. Listed Like new, but really in Good-fair. I should have filed a complaint with Amazon. She said that it was good for a used book, I shouldn't expect it to be perfect. I linked her Amazons condition list. She then said I could send it back (with no offer to pay) but we were already a week into the semester and DH needed the book. What a pain. Every other time I've had a problem with amazon sellers have been great about fixing it and refunding. She had 0 rating and I should have checked that before ordering. (and now the book I spent $40 on is selling for $8. But that's another thread :glare:)

Just for 2 books......?

I know it was a lot for shipping, but I was paying less than the new price of the books. On Sonlight the books are $7 and $8 dollars apiece and I would have had to pay $10 for shipping. I haven't been able to find these two anywhere else. I figure since I only payed $16.50 total it wasn't a bad deal for two brand new books. I was really only paying $1.50 for shipping, or so I figured.