Menu

I'm about to loose it with this HEAT!!!!!

I've been making green smoothies every day, but I've got the calendar marked for when the heat's supposed to end. I think it's less than a week till we *should* be down into the upper 90s. I can last a week, I think.

The worst part, imo, is the heat headaches that feel like cancer in the back of your neck.

Oh, & don't leave your house, open the blinds, or turn the oven on. Ice cream is dairy, which is on the pyramid. Lots of baths & movies. Be very still, turn off the lights.

Ok, some of that's overboard, but that's what they told us a couple of summers ago when I was pg & our air was out. :lol:

Guest ME-Mommy
Still over a month from the first official day of fall. :glare: You know what? I love a good New England winter. :001_smile:

Bring on Fall...and Winter!! :)

We haven't had a day with temps below 86 degrees since early June -- in Maine -- and the HUMIDITY is going to kill me.

It's sure been humid. It's hard to be outside and busy for any length of time. Can you chill at home for a time in the AC? (If you even have AC). I've done that some lately. Reading, knitting, watching movies, playing on the computer etc. We've camped out in my room a few afternoons.

We went on an outing the whole day yesterday...where there was no AC...it got very uncomfortable, so we ended up in a restuarant where dh and I had a couple of cold ones and the kids had fried ice cream. ;)

Not sure you are able to stay cool...or how you feel about not being productive every moment. I know I hate doing 'nothing' myself, but it really has been an unbelievably hot & humid summer and I have felt the need to seek relief by using our AC. We've also spent long periods of time at the library. That feels less 'unproductive' for me.

I have a friend who spent a couple of years in India and she had the opposite feeling about AC. If she never had any, she was fine, but if she indulged and sought out any AC at all, she was back at square one and could do nothing in the heat. She reported that once she trained herself to avoid AC, her body got used to the heat and she could be as productive as she needed to be, despite the heat.

Edited by LibraryLover

I can do dry heat, but this 110 degree heat index with humidity is going to kill me!!!

Right now I want to move to the south pole!!!!

Any great advice for those of us who cannot stand the heat?

Move to northern Maine.

But it has been hot for here too. 80*F today which is unusual. Our leaves should start changing in a week or two, but I don't see it happening.

Oh, & don't leave your house, open the blinds, or turn the oven on. Ice cream is dairy, which is on the pyramid. Lots of baths & movies. Be very still, turn off the lights.

Ok, some of that's overboard, but that's what they told us a couple of summers ago when I was pg & our air was out. :lol:

This is what I do. Lights off, blinds shut, ice cream served. Stay very still - allow unlimited repeats of "Max & Ruby" on TV if we can just stay still and not run around. If we must leave the house - proceed directly to the nearest bookstore for iced beverages and playing with the train set while I browse books.

(This is my first summer in Dallas - and we've lost A/C twice. ETA: If the A/C isn't working, I'm not cooking!)

I've got the ac...I think I really struggle with the not being active. Plus I think the kids and I are about to go stir crazy!!!!

We get out to the horses in the early morning, but the rest of the day is inside....uuuuuugggghhhh!

I don't even remember Dallas being as bad as it is in Kansas City right now ;)

Move to northern Maine.

But it has been hot for here too. 80*F today which is unusual. Our leaves should start changing in a week or two, but I don't see it happening.

In a heatbeat!!!! Right now Dh is looking at job in North Dakota and I'm excited!!!!!

Heat index of 115 today. We're under an Excessive Heat Warning until Thursday, with heat indexes of 110 until then.

I have my AC on, fans going, thermal drapes closed and dd has been playing Wii all day. Iced tea has been flowing like a fountain. I'm making grilled chicken on the griddler for dinner.

I hate this. Someone told me we're supposed to have a harsh winter, too, but I don't know how accurate that is.

I can't remember ever having so many heat advisories and air quality warnings before. I've had to use my asthma inhaler more this summer than in the past 10 years combined. I go outside some days and feel like I can't breathe. I am so tired of having to keep the kids inside all day.

I usually hate winter but this year, I can't wait.

In a heatbeat!!!! Right now Dh is looking at job in North Dakota and I'm excited!!!!!

In a heat beat, good error.

My husband tells me we will die the first winter if we move to the Dakotas, Wyoming, etc.

Yes, we have cabin fever, it is too hot to go swimming, too hot to go anywhere. I haven't seen the pool screens over pools in TX like they have in FL. The water is too warm in our friends' pools...

Cabin fever...

What's funny is that i think we stay inside more during the summer here than we do winter. Hence why we school throughout the summer... we're over the pool/beach. What better time to do some school in the nice central AC? LOL

Sigh we have a few more months.. it doesn't start getting "cool" till late October around here.. if we're lucky.

Yes, I am SO done with summer. I'm in FL....all of our days have been in the high 90's with the heat index from 105 - 115. The kids have literally gone out to play maybe three times this summer. And even then, I make sure to have the sprinkler on for them. Mostly, we stay inside with the blinds closed and the lights off. We've done crafts, painted, etc.

Our A/C went out last week. I thought I was going to die.

And we have a pool....but during the daytime it feels like bath water.

We did go to the public pool a couple of times last week and the water was so warm it was uncomfortable. We won't be going back this week as the water is sure to be even warmer.

My Dh normally sweats through his t-shirt when he does his barn chores. This past couple of weeks, he's been sweating through his jeans! I have to help him get them off when he comes in - yuck! Poor thing, our riding mower is broken and he's had to push mow the lawn twice! It was over 100 degrees! Ack! I say, let the grass grow!

We've been schooling all summer. I can't wait till fall so we can take our breaks and head outside! I love Arkansas and would NOT want to move north. I hate living in snow country! Hate it! I am not a fan of AR's summer heat either, but all in all, I have many more enjoyable days here then I did back in WI. I've exchanged 4-5 months of cold and snow for two months of unbearable heat and humidity and for that I get three seasons of beautiful weather! I'll take it!

It is just awful. I feel like I haven't been comfortable since May, and we have AC throughout the house. We started school as soon as the last of their summer camps were done, and I found myself wishing we hadn't had the last week of them (in mid-July), so that we could have just done school, and planned to take off more in the autumn.

I told dh last night, I just want it to be below 70 at some point. Even as a low. I think I'd set the alarm for 3 am and go outside just to experience it.

Yes, I am SO done with summer. I'm in FL....all of our days have been in the high 90's with the heat index from 105 - 115. The kids have literally gone out to play maybe three times this summer. And even then, I make sure to have the sprinkler on for them. Mostly, we stay inside with the blinds closed and the lights off. We've done crafts, painted, etc.

Our A/C went out last week. I thought I was going to die.

And we have a pool....but during the daytime it feels like bath water.

And in our part of FL, it really hasn't been that bad. Central NC was WAY worse than this! The time I hated FL heat was last October when it was in the 90s.:glare:

I do have to watch the dc, though. They'll get overheated and not realize it happening. They spend 6-8 hours a day outside. They mostly fish and ride bikes. We're going to the beach this AM.

The worst thing here is the sun is so intense! In the shade isn't that bad at all, but in the sun it just zaps your energy.

Projected high is 103 here again today with 85% humidity. I don't think I will ever complain about snow or ice again (not that we even get those more than 1 or 2 times a year). But, yes, I completely understand. We have lakes here but the water temp is warmer than we would use for a bath. :glare: We have free bowling passes so we have gone bowling almost every day so we can at least get out of the house.

Another hot and humid day here. Heat index is suppose to be 116* :tongue_smilie: again.

I hate leaving my blinds closed but anything to help keep out the heat. Even put my draft stoppers I use in the winter down to see if they will block out any heat seeping in.

We are staying in as much as possible. Dh just asked me if I was going to the store today. I told him "not if I can help it" :) He wanted me to pick up something but it isn't urgent so it can wait.

Lots more movies, allowing kiddos to do more indoors than normal (house gets kinda loud sometimes but got to get some of that energy out somehow)

Meals have been really simple things that don't require the oven.

Right now Dh is looking at job in North Dakota and I'm excited!!!!!

It can easily go down to -50 F actual there...;)

It's been 90+ in Ohio, had to make hay in this weather, and it was rough...I got up at 5:30am today to unload a hay wagon, so that I didn't stroke out

...no A/C in our house, frequently up to 100F upstairs where my office is...my body is actually starting to get used to it!! One advantage of no A/C...

I am NOT ALLOWED to complain about the heat, as DW loves this, and LOATHES our below zero winters (the cold doesn't bother me too much).

My only suggestion is take a quick, cold shower, don't towel off, and stand in front of a fan (close your door!)...exhilirating!!!:w00t:

Just think, you can someday tell your grand kids how awful 2010's summer was...