Menu

Any 1st day of kindergarten ideas?

bradandmeplus2

We're going to take her younger brother to preschool and then go have breakfast in a café. After that, we'll go to a park or library for her official first day of school, bringing our work with us.

We're also going to have a schultüte and do a first day of school photo.

Guest Julia J

I like to review the type of subjects that will be handled for the year...for example, if you are teaching ancient history, find a fun library book that covers the general time in a simple way and read it snuggled on the couch. Talk about all she will learn this year! Show her the book you are using for math, maybe play a fun math game. If you have fun things to do during your breaks from school, introduce these too (walking the dog, going to the neighborhood playground, playing Candyland, making homemade snacks). I showed my daughter the portfolio I am keeping for her (first grade) and told her that her BEST work would be in there, so we could show how WELL she did this year.

I wouldn't worry too much about making it seem like a regular school day. Just make sure he/she knows what to expect out of school. I remember getting a tour of the classroom, painting on an easel, and listening to stories read aloud from the circle rug my first day. :)

Make it fun, but ease into school so that the second and third days are not totally different. But DON"T make it too hard and stressful, or school won't seem like much fun!

Just thoughts,

Julia

We do the first day photo.

digital-photography-1.jpg

My dd3 believes that playing with Moon Sand is the best school day activity ever.

Moon Sand Jr. Castle Set

010370.jpg

My ds5 said that playing with the "school" Legos would make it the best 1st day of school ever.

This is one of the Lego set's my son can't wait to get into

Wheels and Axles Mini Set

036111.jpg

My ds8 thinks having a learning game would be fun.

10 Days in the USA

027208.jpg

My ds10 likes to have pizza, popcorn, and a movie after his school work is done.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXnxgz4x5Nwiz_V9UbqRXmsR-KbRLRfcD0vE8mfbE_FDZ4AK4&t=1&usg=__FN0Cpd2pu1krnntd9fn7VXACCoE=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPbbpuruFDrp8RrLHCvEUVuXIxuL40P4pKeBX6bICp9av_NQE&t=1&usg=__rlOKmTt7vVS4-o7lJ23CcnqxCh4=

So that's our plan for this first day! Which is in 20 days.

this is soooo awesome!! great ideas!!!!!!!!!! especially the pizza! ha!

We do the first day photo.

digital-photography-1.jpg

My dd3 believes that playing with Moon Sand is the best school day activity ever.

Moon Sand Jr. Castle Set

010370.jpg

My ds5 said that playing with the "school" Legos would make it the best 1st day of school ever.

This is one of the Lego set's my son can't wait to get into

Wheels and Axles Mini Set

036111.jpg

My ds8 thinks having a learning game would be fun.

10 Days in the USA

027208.jpg

My ds10 likes to have pizza, popcorn, and a movie after his school work is done.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXnxgz4x5Nwiz_V9UbqRXmsR-KbRLRfcD0vE8mfbE_FDZ4AK4&t=1&usg=__FN0Cpd2pu1krnntd9fn7VXACCoE=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPbbpuruFDrp8RrLHCvEUVuXIxuL40P4pKeBX6bICp9av_NQE&t=1&usg=__rlOKmTt7vVS4-o7lJ23CcnqxCh4=

So that's our plan for this first day! Which is in 20 days.

My children get a schultüte each year (even though the tradition is for K). That is the part they like best. I got the littles some of this from Timberdoodle, bubber:

782-84-1.jpg

I like it so much better than Moonsand which I found to be quite messy (maybe I don't have the knack)!!! It sticks together so it can be used with cookie cutters and the best part is it doesn't have to be stored in an airtight container. I think it's kinda a cross between Moonsand and playdoh. We do a lighter schedule the first week. And we will have pizza for lunch.

We let the girls pick out something new to wear for the first day of school and then get pictures.

Last year, I had them decorate some of our new stuff- clipboards, pencil containers, etc.

We do an easy morning and for lunch/snacks I find ABC food- pretzels, tater tots, etc.

In the afternoon, we go on a small field trip and get some ice cream!

We are going to have a special breakfast of DD's choosing, take photos and begin DD's notebook/portfolio and then "do school" in a very introductory way. We'll do some art after lunch then late afternoon be as usual - kids rest, I read/email/plan and prep dinner. Nice dinner and special dessert - probably out for ice cream.

We're having the "festivities" parts in the early am and at dinner so DH can be here too, since this is a whole family adventure!