Menu

Sorry to keep on about this, but still confused-spelling program for 5 yo?

Halcyon

Hi-I've asked about this before, perhaps in different ways, but I'm still stuck. My just-5 year old is a very strong reader and speller. I am looking for a spelling/phonics program that would be suitable for him but not cost me too much. I also don't want something that's incredibly teacher-intensive. He enjoys workbooks, so that's an option.

The reason I am thinking more "spelling" programs than "phonics" programs is simply because he reads so well, and because the phonics stuff I've done with him has bored him. Yet at the same time, I know I want to be sure we've covered "rules" for spelling.

Erg. Why is this so hard for me? AAS doesn't look right to me. I can't say why exactly, although I know it's been recommended on these boards.

I am leaning towards Explode the Code, but not sure what level he would be at? Advice?

Thanks!

Edited by Halcyon

I understand where you are coming from, as far as a strong reader and speller at a young age.

HOWEVER, learning the rules is very key! As he matures and gets older, knowing those rules and exceptions will make a big difference.

my ds was taugh the orton gillingham phonograms. We practiced these daily. Now we are going through AAS and love it. While AAS may seem easy at times, it is cementing the rules and he is decoding words much above his level. We also went through the explode the code books. He loved them.

It can be easy to jump ahead when kids pick up on things, or seem to know them quickly, early etc... yet cementing the hows and whys is important, at least to me.

If it were me, I would do just that, then throw in some bonus stuff (harder words) for extra credit, a fun activity, icecream etc........

HTH :lol:

Have you already heard about Apples & Pears? It does some phonics, and also morpheme breakdown. It's less teacher-intensive than AAS and quite a bit cheaper, too. You can look at the entire program (ALL pages of the workbooks & TGs for all levels) on the Sound Foundations website. There's an online placement test so you can figure out where you should be starting. I didn't like all the comments I heard about AAS being too easy in some parts, and I'm almost 100% sure DS wouldn't get into tiles and flashcards. Based on all the good things I heard about A&P, that's what we're going with. We'll see how it goes!

I have a 5.5 year old girl, and we just love doing spelling. We have used both AAS and ETC for over a year now.

Based on what you've mentioned, AAS may not be for you, it is teacher-intensive, somewhat costly, and doesn't have a workbook. We find it also goes a bit slow for a fast learner, but I don't mind, I love being thorough. So you might like ETC. They are only $6.50 each, my daughter does them independently, and they provide good spelling/reading/writing practice!

If you let me know the reading/spelling ability estimate of your child, I could give an opinion and samples of a good ETC book to jump in on. We're doing Book 4 now and it is just the perfect review for us. We'll start Book 5 next month.

Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in ;)

My 5 yo reads Magic Treehouse though doesn't always finish them (so he can 'read' the words, but comprehension is sometimes beyond him), Horrible Henry, Amelia Bedelia, he loves Calvin and Hobbes. He read up to the 4.3 level in this test. He also loves DK readers (level 4).

Thanks for level suggestions for ETC!

I have a 5.5 year old girl, and we just love doing spelling. We have used both AAS and ETC for over a year now.

Based on what you've mentioned, AAS may not be for you, it is teacher-intensive, somewhat costly, and doesn't have a workbook. We find it also goes a bit slow for a fast learner, but I don't mind, I love being thorough. So you might like ETC. They are only $6.50 each, my daughter does them independently, and they provide good spelling/reading/writing practice!

If you let me know the reading/spelling ability estimate of your child, I could give an opinion and samples of a good ETC book to jump in on. We're doing Book 4 now and it is just the perfect review for us. We'll start Book 5 next month.

have you looked into SWO? It is a workbook (you give pretests and tests at the end of the week)...

I suggest Spelling Workout as well. If your child is a natural speller you could even skip the warm up test. It's a workbook, not teacher intensive, inexpensive, phonics-based, you can stick with it through middle school.

Sounds like what you're asking for!

I suggest Spelling Workout as well. If your child is a natural speller you could even skip the warm up test. It's a workbook, not teacher intensive, inexpensive, phonics-based, you can stick with it through middle school.

Sounds like what you're asking for!

I just looked at Level B and that seems to be right....going to see if i can find more previews. Thank you. It's down to SWO and ETC :)

I just looked at Level B and that seems to be right....going to see if i can find more previews. Thank you. It's down to SWO and ETC :)

I'd third or fourth this! Seriously, my workbook girl positively hated AAS. I really thought it would be awesome, but as a strong reader, she really resisted it. She's a natural speller, too.

Anyway, she adores SWO. We did B last year when she was 5, and it was the perfect fit. As a bonus, it reviews phonics rules and puts together word lists that use the same rule. If you want a few more examples of the kinds of words in B or in C, let me know. I'll gladly type some out for you.

We never used ETC, so I can't really comment on that. Of course, they're both pretty cheap, so worst case you could probably get both. :lol: I'm so helpful, huh?

If you go decide to go with ETC, I'd start with book 3. It covers one-syllable words ending in a long vowel, including -y; silent-e; digraphs sh, th, wh, ch, -ng, -ck; trigraph -tch; ee-ea, ai-ay, oa-ow. Book 2 covers initial and final consonant blends, which is probably too easy. Book 4 gets into compound words, common endings -ful, -ing, -est, -ed, -ness; rules for syllable division, syllables ending in -y and -le, 3-syllable words...

ETC isn't marketed as a teach-spelling book, but with all the practice writing the words, it does end up being a very fun one that my daughter really enjoys. It fits her sense of humor well. She doesn't even realize she's practicing spelling, reading, writing.

If you go decide to go with ETC, I'd start with book 3. It covers one-syllable words ending in a long vowel, including -y; silent-e; digraphs sh, th, wh, ch, -ng, -ck; trigraph -tch; ee-ea, ai-ay, oa-ow. Book 2 covers initial and final consonant blends, which is probably too easy. Book 4 gets into compound words, common endings -ful, -ing, -est, -ed, -ness; rules for syllable division, syllables ending in -y and -le, 3-syllable words...

ETC isn't marketed as a teach-spelling book, but with all the practice writing the words, it does end up being a very fun one that my daughter really enjoys. It fits her sense of humor well. She doesn't even realize she's practicing spelling, reading, writing.

Thanks. Looking at 3, 3 1/2 and 4 right now. I appreciate your time, everyone :)

One more question-does it teach how to SPELL words ending in -tch, for example? He can READ this fine, but can't spell, say, witch. Thank you.

ETC is not an "official" spelling program, but they cover -tch in ETC 3 on lesson 7. Here's how they do it. This is just a sample of the format for book 3. Book 4 has maybe 7 pages per "lesson".

Page 1

-tch at the end of a word says /ch/ as in watch.

X the picture the ends with /ch/.

And it has -tch with sets of images that you'd circle (no words at this point)

Page 2

Shows the words, and the child circles the words that match the image

Page 3

Now the child will copy writing the word, and then circle the image.

Page 4

The child will match and write it, selecting the word from a list up top.

Page 5

First column shows an image, and then the child circles the individual sounds that make the word in the next 3 columns (c-a-tch), ending up with writing it in the last column.

Page 6

Yes or No?

Funny questions to read and then mark off Yes/No.

Page 7

X it. Read the two sentences, and X the sentence that match the picture

Page 8

Finally, the child writes the word that is shown in the picture.

We never used the 1/2 books, as we only use ETC as a supplement to our current phonics/spelling/handwriting books. It is totally unneccesary for us. I did purchase one out of curiosity, but just listed it on Amazon to sell, as we definitely won't use it.

Hi-I've asked about this before, perhaps in different ways, but I'm still stuck. My just-5 year old is a very strong reader and speller. I am looking for a spelling/phonics program that would be suitable for him but not cost me too much. I also don't want something that's incredibly teacher-intensive. He enjoys workbooks, so that's an option.

The reason I am thinking more "spelling" programs than "phonics" programs is simply because he reads so well, and because the phonics stuff I've done with him has bored him. Yet at the same time, I know I want to be sure we've covered "rules" for spelling.

Erg. Why is this so hard for me? AAS doesn't look right to me. I can't say why exactly, although I know it's been recommended on these boards.

I am leaning towards Explode the Code, but not sure what level he would be at? Advice?

Thanks!

I say go for it! We use MCP Spelling Workout A with our 5yo and he loves it! I hope you guys will too (if you choose to use it).

Spelling Workout. I used this last year with my first grader and she flew through A and started B. I am using BJU this year but depending on how it goes I may go back to Spelling Workout. I have ordered(not received yet) Saxon Phonics and it has spelling included. My dd hated ETC, we did A Beka Phonics last year and ETC. She found it very "boring"-and she loves workbooks. I saw no benefit from using it, A Beka was avery good phonics program.

Just wanted to put my plug in for R&S PHONICS, 2nd grade. My dd6 is a fluent reader. 2nd grade phonics is awesome. Very thorough. It starts out fairly easy but quickly becomes more difficult. We love it here!

This is my back-up plan. We decided to go with AAS and ETC for our 1st grader, but I do like the Rod and Staff materials i've bought for other subjects. If AAS gets returned, I will go to R&S.

Susan suggests using a phonics program as a spelling program for a kid like this. You want them you get all of those phonics rules down, but not frustrate them. One of her online videos talks about this.

How, exactly? By having them just recite the spelling of the words that the phonics program presents as words to read?

How, exactly? By having them just recite the spelling of the words that the phonics program presents as words to read?

Hi, I will take a look at the youtube video Penelope suggested, but, just to share, at present, my dd either writes the words on the whiteboard or spells it out with letter tiles.

She spells 10 words (or less) a day about twice or thrice a week. Last week she finished 'er' words and 'ing' words (short vowel words, not words where the 'ing' replaces the final 'e'). We haven't taught her any spelling rules yet; she just spells based on the sound.

• 2 weeks later...
Many strong readers/spellers don't need a spelling curriculum at all. Wait and see if one is needed later (3rd or 4th grade). You may find vocabulary programs (late elementary or junior high age) will serve you better.

:iagree:

I took a "wait and see" approach with my oldest. She asked to do a formal spelling program this year. I was planning on doing Megawords until I was given a copy of Spelling Power. She placed into Level G of that program.

I'm a big fan of keeping lessons short in the primary grades. One way to do that is to stick to what's really needed for the individual child. If he/she appears to be doing fine without a formal spelling program, by all means hold off until he/she's a bit older.