Menu

what are your plans for 1st day of school?

My boys are going into 8th and 9th this year. In years past, we have always had a fun 1st day of school in that we looked over all the textbooks we are using for the year plus any fun games, school supplies I have picked out and we always do a questionaire of funny questions that they have always enjoyed doing. When they were younger, I made the "sugar cones" and filled them with stickers, pens, candy and misc. supplies for school.

Well, this year, they show no interest in school supplies of any sort...really there is not much that they need and the "fun stuff" they have sort of grown out of getting too excited about!...besides being boys, they just don't seem to appreciate the smell of a new clean notebook like I do!!!

I basically have no exciting plans for tomorrow and even though they don't seem like they don't care...I'm kinda wondering if they will be disappointed and I will regret that I didn't do something My oldest doesn't eat breakfast so going out for breakfast or fixing a special breakfast doesn't work. I tried letting them have ice cream for breakfast last year and they actually passed it up as they said it would make them feel sick!

Any ideas out there?

It's a difficult age; kids seem to be completely uninterested and disengaged for a couple of years during puberty. You can either just say well, here's what we're going to do and do it, or you can try something else that's not spectacular but is at any rate a change of pace. You could take a couple of books to Starbuck's and read while having drinks and a muffin; you could go to the movies after school and sit in the air conditioning and eat popcorn; you could perhaps go to a museum or historical site or geological site... something that ties into what they will be doing during the year?

I was just thinking about this whole "first day" issue because I also used to do the schultute, play new games, etc. but my daughter has outgrown this in more ways than one. We are now working mostly year-round, starting new things as we finish up old ones on different schedules, so there's no clear demarcation line for a "new" year or grade except what technically goes on the transcript. Right now, for instance, we're finishing up leftover algebra and spelling (my daughter has spelling problems), but we've started a history of musical theater, probability and statistics, and the history of the English language. I don't know quite what to think about this.

How about going out to lunch instead?

We used to celebrate our first day of school with new outfits, having portraits taken, and then going out for breakfast, but as my kids got older, that morphed into having a light school day and then going out to lunch instead.

now lunch is a good idea. I don't usually have that much on our schedule for the first day so that would be a good way to end it!

I guess I just miss the excitement of previous years. This age they are in is so hard for me to deal with at times. I think sometimes that I enjoy life and all that comes with it more than they do.

We have gone out for breakfast, then come home to look over the new materials for the year. I call it orientation, then we start the next day. When my oldest ds was starting his senior year we went to Legoland for our last first day of school!

My youngest is starting school this year by getting thrown into the deep end of the pool with the sharks -- he is going to have to "crash" his way into his first community college classes as everything is already full!

We must be really dull...I'm planning on using the first day of school to go over their courses, and then have my kids write their goals for each course and their plans for reaching those goals. They're supposed to be thinking about that now.... :001_unsure:

This year, at the beginning of each week, they will be reviewing their goals and then planning/writing out their schedules with assignment due dates and progress in mind. At the end of each week, they're going to journal about something that they learned or achieved during the week.

So our first day isn't a celebration, rather it's a serious reminder that their learning is really under their control. I can help, but, the fact is, they have to own it.

We began a new tradition last year when my dd began highschool.

We chose a day the week before school began and went to a fancy tearoom for lunch.

It's the only time we go there as it is pricey and that makes it a real treat.

After a foo-foo lunch we go buy any school supplies we need.

This has worked well for us.

after school you made pizzas together to have for dinner? Depending on how much work you want to do, you could make the crusts as well, or if you wanted to take it easy use pre-made crust.

I realize this is a totally random idea, but it just popped into my head as something boys might be willing to do.

We make ice cream sundays after lunch. I get lots of toppings, chocolate, carmel, strawberry, sprinkles, whipped cream, nuts and even cherries and everyone makes their own. Its lunch dessert which my kids always think we should have and never get away with!:lol: We also hit the backyard pool for an afternoon swim and count it as PE :D.