Menu

Reading Conundrum: Phonetically controlled readers vs. Real books?

FairProspects

We have been slowly plugging along at reading all summer, working on fluency mostly with the I See Sam readers. Now we have hit a weird puzzle for me. Ds still stumbles over some CVC words but can read much harder words without a hitch if motivated.

For example, "Mag's Pig" a phonetically-controlled story with all CVC words is a struggle, but the Curious George readers my Mom brought, with R-controlled words, long vowels, & hard/soft sounds of C & G are not because he is so interested in the topic, and so these come off fluently (with a few hesitations).

I'm confused about what to do, because it would appear that he hasn't mastered simple CVC words, but when challenged with harder material, he has? :001_huh: I've been forcing the simple readers because I thought he needed more practice, but I'm wondering if it is becoming "drill and kill" if he can pick those up in the context of reading real stories.

So, should I continue with the short-vowel CVC readers for practice, or add in something high-interest even if it is harder and let him pick it up as he goes along? I just can't tell if CVC needs more work as a mastery skill or if this is how reading normally develops as they grasp for harder words? Can anyone who has BTDT advise?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We have been slowly plugging along at reading all summer, working on fluency mostly with the I See Sam readers. Now we have hit a weird puzzle for me. Ds still stumbles over some CVC words but can read much harder words without a hitch if motivated.

For example, "Mag's Pig" a phonetically-controlled story with all CVC words is a struggle, but the Curious George readers my Mom brought, with R-controlled words, long vowels, & hard/soft sounds of C & G are not because he is so interested in the topic, and so these come off fluently (with a few hesitations).

I'm confused about what to do, because it would appear that he hasn't mastered simple CVC words, but when challenged with harder material, he has? :001_huh: I've been forcing the simple readers because I thought he needed more practice, but I'm wondering if it is becoming "drill and kill" if he can pick those up in the context of reading real stories.

So, should I continue with the short-vowel CVC readers for practice, or add in something high-interest even if it is harder and let him pick it up as he goes along? I just can't tell if CVC needs more work as a mastery skill or if this is how reading normally develops as they grasp for harder words? Can anyone who has BTDT advise?

The words "if motivated" say it all. :001_smile:

Both my older kids learned to read from whatever books they wanted to read. If they brought me Mike Mulligan and asked me to teach them to read, that's what I did. High interest, all the way! I promise you there are enough CVC words in more advanced books that kids will get practice with those. But they will want to practice, which is kind of the point, in my mind. Also, kids (all people?) never give their best effort when they are bored.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I say offer the harder ones and help him through them if he enjoys them. I went through the exact same thing you're going through and it drove me nuts. Sometimes the child can decode the CVC word but have no idea what it means...like may not know what a "jig," a "fib," or a "pal" is. I've always had to teach those words to my new readers, since they are not words we normally use around here in conversation. But sometimes it gets tiresome and I just know they could more easily figure out the word "dance" than figure out yet another word like "jig."

I've never used controlled readers. If my child could only read cvc words, then they could read those words in whatever book we were reading together. I'd read the rest. They just increased their reading as they were able.

Finding something that interests the child if far more important, imo.

I agree - move on. Dd (now almost 10 and reading novels) did not "catch on" to reading, really, until we dropped controlled readers and started using real books. A good place to get book lists (by ability, not phonics skills) is Teach A Child to Read with Children's Books by Mark Thogmartin. You can find it at the library, and just pick up some of the books on the booklists in the back. It ranges from short repetitive stories all the way to books like Frog & Toad.

I say offer the harder ones and help him through them if he enjoys them. I went through the exact same thing you're going through and it drove me nuts. Sometimes the child can decode the CVC word but have no idea what it means...like may not know what a "jig," a "fib," or a "pal" is. I've always had to teach those words to my new readers, since they are not words we normally use around here in conversation. But sometimes it gets tiresome and I just know they could more easily figure out the word "dance" than figure out yet another word like "jig."

:iagree:The awkward phrasing and unfamiliar vocabulary in CVC-stage controlled readers really are problems. I'd rather get slightly more advanced readers and supply any words that my child doesn't know, or use something like Progressive Phonics (www.progressivephonics.com) readers which have certain words designated for the child to read.

Edited by Rivka
subject-verb agreement FTW

My DS is a brand new reader and I'm using a mix of phonetically-controlled readers like BOB & Hooked on Phonics books and more interesting real books. With the latter, I either read the more difficult words or help my DS decode them by telling him the sound of the particular more advanced phoneme.

My ds was the same way! It was weird when he would sound out 'hat,, but read 'through' without blinking. I decided that he was over thinking CVC words and just to let him read real books. Eventually, his hesitation with CVC words disappeared. If we'd stuck with controlled readers, I think it would have frustrated him.

My DS is a brand new reader and I'm using a mix of phonetically-controlled readers like BOB & Hooked on Phonics books and more interesting real books. With the latter, I either read the more difficult words or help my DS decode them by telling him the sound of the particular more advanced phoneme.

This is what we did (and still do). Ds#1 is working through the HOP Master Reader program which has vocab/phonically controlled chapter books after each "level", but he is also reading trade books to us that are at his level (or slightly, very slightly, above - he was and still can be a reluctant reader). So, right now he's reading the short little "reading card" stories that accompany each HOP Master Reader lesson in the morning and trade books in the afternoon (right now he's reading through a Magic Tree House to help him build confidence in chapter books).

Ds#2 is reading through the 2nd "grade" level of HOP books (picture books and chapter books) that are controlled for phonics, and when he finishes one of those he reads a trade book or two to us. I like the practice they get with targeted sounds/letter combinations from the HOP books, but we all enjoy reading the trade books more because the story doesn't seem so contrived.

My suggestion would be to do both ... have him practice and increase his ability with the phonics-controlled books but also encourage him to read trade books to you as well. My oldest can still stumble over the easiest words (often articles and small prepositions of all things) and read multi-syllable words without blinking. In time it all comes together.