Menu

Healthy eating on the go?

This coming semester, I'll have 2 long days of school. I'll be at school during dinner time. I need some ideas on what I can eat within 15 mins., not heated because I won't have time to go heat it up and get to my class. I need something I can eat while walking or at least sitting down for only 5 mins. The only thing I'm coming up with is a sandwich and that got really boring last semester. I ended up buying chick-fil-a on the days I didn't have to be in school until 5:00pm. But these semester, I have a two classes back to back and will lose that time to get something.

Suggestions? Oh, I gained weight last semester, duh. I'm back on WW to get rid of it, and more if possible. Going to school and losing weight seems daunting. It's so easy to eat chips, candy and cookies while sitting in class! The vending machines are just too handy. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Night Elf

Soup in a vacuum flask? You could make really healthy, filling soups, like lentil and carrot, or vegetable and barley. If you put them in a slow cooker over night, they'd be ready for you to take in the morning. You could sip the soup while walking - it wouldn't be scalding by the evening.

Laura

Soup in a vacuum flask? You could make really healthy, filling soups, like lentil and carrot, or vegetable and barley. If you put them in a slow cooker over night, they'd be ready for you to take in the morning. You could sip the soup while walking - it wouldn't be scalding by the evening.

Laura

That's an awesome idea! It will get cold and hot soup would actually be really good!

I keep dried fruit and nuts in my car for easy, fast, healthy on the go snacks/meals. That, combined with a bottled water, would be filling and healthy (not necessarily low calorie if you eat a lot of it, though). Granola bars and a whole apple can be stuck in a purse for a light meal.

I have no idea how to cook a meatball. Am I hopeless? :) I should look that up. My first inclination is to buy prepared meatballs but I'd rather use ground turkey or very lean ground beef and no fatty stuff.

I did think about fruit, but not dried fruit. I'll add that to my list.

bento style meals would probably work well for you. I have several containers that I use for this style meal. I pack very small servings of several things- meatballs in a light sauce, bite size pieces of chicken, mini cheese ravioli in a light sauce, veggies or fruit, cheese, etc. All your choices would go into one small container- mine are about 3 inches by 6 inches. We eat ours cold or room temp. It works great when you have small bits of leftovers. There are tons of websites for packing bentos- and some are very easy to adapt to American foods.

We also use a thermos for warm meals- I make chicken and dumplings, spaghetti, things like that.

We eat lots of meals out of the house- and you're so right- those vending machines are so tempting, as is fast food when I don't want to take time to pack in advance.

:bigear: Always looking for new ideas! I'll be eating lunch on campus 3 days this coming semester, and will be packing lunch a 4th day because DD and I won't be going home in between my classes and her activities.

I do a lot of rollups. I go through A LOT of wraps. I usually do turkey or ham. We also have egg wraps for breakfast a lot! :D

Fruit is easy to eat on the go. I cut anything that's too big to eat in one bite so I don't end up with juice dripping all over the place!

Pretzels... a healthier alternative to chips, plus your hands don't get all greasy!

I do water most days, but occasionally bring one of those single serving drink mixes for a change.

I like to keep my meals as "clean" as possible, because I am usually either studying while eating, or eating in class while taking notes. Don't want to mess up my homework/notes!

You're going to think this is nuts, but if you're a chocolate freak like I am, this can actually satisfy in a crunch and isn't nearly as bad as a chocolate bar so long as it's not a daily thing. I put a handful of walnuts or almonds into a container along with a few dark chocolate chips or small squares off a dark chocolate bar. Eating the 2 together totally satisfies my chocolate bar cravings. Nuts = good fat, and chocolate = endorphin rush and lots of other great things that are better than s%x! :tongue_smilie:

I like Fruit to Go bars, yogurt, sunflower seeds, fruits and veggies. Aside from that, water, water, water. Most cravings can be warded off if we're properly hydrated.

When I worked at my SIL's store last Christmas, I needed quick and easy lunches, too. I bought a little insulated lunch bag and a small ice pack.

Often, I just packed a little container of hummus and some veggies to dip- carrots, celery, cucumber slices, red pepper slices.

I also did a lot of wraps- leftover roasted chicken and veggies with goddess dressing was my fave.

Nuts and seeds are an easy thing to keep in your bag. I make a mix of raw almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and we all munch on those.

I did a sort of grown- up version of a Lunchable- with turkey slices, pepper cheese slices and Triscuits.

Apples were also my friends! :lol: Easy to transport, and great when a sweet craving comes on.