Menu

Help with 9th grade writing

Guest junkstyle

Guest junkstyle

I am coming out of lurking mode because I am so confused on what to do with my daughter. We started homeschooling again last year after she wanting to go back to ps for middle school. Quickly she found out that she hated, but we made her hang on for a couple years, so she came back home for 8th grade. Her writing skills and handwriting are awful. She took History at our House and when Mr Powell would ask for narration she didn't know what that was. ( I am not blaming ps school for this because I didn't teach her when I had her home for 3 and 4 grade either) Started to work on it last year but due to health issues with her little brother she got shifted to the back burner. Now we are starting 9th grade and I am totally lost on what to do with her for writing or english. I feel like she needs just the basics but then high school curriculum is fine tuning the basics most assume you some what know what you are doing. Which we do not.

Any advise or ideas?????

Junkstyle

Ds 18

Dd 14

Ds 8

Is she on grade level with math and science? If she's a bit behind in those as well, I'd suggest making this year a catch up with the basics year, and start high school next year. I don't know specific writing programs to suggest, but I'd have her doing lots of grammar - probably at least two years worth, and lots of writing. Have her keep a journal as that's easy writing and gets her in the habit. I'd continue to do spelling too, if she needs that, and vocabulary. We like Wordly Wise, but I hear that Vocabulary for the High School (and College) Bound are good too. I haven't used it, but I hear lots of good things about Rod & Staff Grammar. We've used Easy Grammar, and it's okay for the basics if she's missing those, but I'd suggest a stronger program.

I probably haven't been much help, but I'm sure others will have more specific program advice. You can't worry about what hasn't been done, just make a good plan for this year, and stick with it, and she will get up to speed. You may want to start as soon as you have your materials, and maybe consider year round schooling until she's at grade level.

I hope it's a great school year for your family! :)

Guest junkstyle

She is doing great in math, science. and history. It is just in the English and writing area. I am going to look into some of the ones you mentioned. I am almost tempted to use wwe along side her brother. ???? :confused:

I am going to have her start journaling.

Junkstyle

Ds18

Dd14

Ds8

Why not do what SWB recommends in TWTM. I think I would start by having her outline her history (whatever book you will be using) and then work up to writing from an outline. I would say the basics need to be taught first, but since she is older she may need to only spend a few weeks on outlining before moving on. Once she feels comfortable summarizing what she has read, she can move on to writing essays and reports. If you want a more structured approach, you could use Excellence in Writing. This has been my son's favorite writing program, and it really doeas hold your hand. We used Ancient History Based Writing Lessons in addition to the seminar, and will be using more of their curriculum this year.

Also, I love Rod and Staff for grammar. I would perhaps use the 6th or 7th grade text (it is challenging). R & S also does a good job at teaching outling and writing.

If she is on level for everthing else, I would not hold her back (unless she wants to do this). You could also work over the summer with her next year to solidify her skills. Best of luck to you both :001_smile:

My daughter was on level with everything but writing when she left public school.

Last year she wrote a paper of some type every week. We did a ton of biographies, essays, book reviews,etc. She just wrote and wrote. The first few papers she cried through. By June she was doing one draft with 1-2 changes and it was perfect.

I am thinking of using writeshop this year to supplement what I assign.

Guest junkstyle

I think I will just start with outlining. Then slowly move on when she is comfortable. Also just have her write and write and write. I have looked at Excellence in Writing I wasn't sure if I would be overwhelmed but now I think I will look at it again. I need hand holding!

Thank you gingersmom for reminding me there will be tears but push though it. Because with her she can really put me through it sometimes. I think it helps to know that other go through it too!

Just want you to know you're not alone. :grouphug: I just found your post after posting mine. Our situations are a little different but I am trying to catch up on some aspects of LA also :)

Like I said on my other post, starting in the middle isn't easy but I believe it will be so worth it!

And, I found comfort here...my dd did start outlining last year using SOTW 4, so that was encouraging!

Good luck! Maybe we should stay in touch:)

Guest mateo4us

Hi, I usually dont post but I wanted to say that winston grammar, is great for a child it doesnt teach capitalization or puctuation but it does teach the structure of the sentences. she will be able to start there. your child should learn with this program quickly enough to move on fast. I then used IEW it has helped my son tremendously suprisingly again very fast. He hates writing but this made it easy for hiom to understand. I think his favorite part is the fact that IEW gives him a checklist of everyhting that is supposed to be in his writing assignment so it was easy for him to understand. hope this helps Js