Menu

xpost: HELP! MUS Prealgebra, CD Prealgebra, or BCM?

I posted this on K8, but am hoping to get all the opinions I can, especially from you that have BTDT!

We are starting school Monday and I'm waffling over math again. I need to get my rising 8th grader up to speed. We had been using TT7 at the beginning of last year and I became fearful when I realized he just didn't "get" it. He was answering all the problems correctly, but couldn't apply it in the real world.

I bought Math Mammoth 6 in the hopes of getting him up to speed. We are still working thru that. I bought MUS Prealgebra thinking a nice slow pace would be good for him. Now, I'm starting to doubt. It seems so sparce.

I was reading some old threads here where Pongo said you could use the BCM and skip prealgebra:

Basic Math Information

Basic Math

Here is the low down, I got my stuff and it's all correct. I happen to notice that these DVD's for the Basic Math come with 6 DVD's but, if you were to get them through CD you would get only 4 and this is my understanding on why.

After checking the chapters with the DVD's, the Chalkdust DVD's do not have the last 4 chapters that the HM DVD's have.

I went and looked at the Pre-algebra DVD's TOC, and I can see that the last 2 DVD's of the Basic Math I received are identical to the first two of pre-algebra. I am assuming they did this because, the text they (CD) decided to call a 6th grade Basic Math text, is also used as a college remedial text. That's the reason for the College Basic Math title. They had to chop out the last 4 chapters so it can be a suitable 6th grade text, without doing that it would have moved too quickly.

What does all this mean?

Well basically, if you decide to order the textbooks from Chalkdust, then you will have 2 discs left over using this disc set from HM, the content is IDENTICAL ( I checked with a friends Basic Math from CD). If you decided to get the HM DVD AND the Textbooks that are not from Chalkdust (a MUCH cheaper option IMHO, and what I did for $55 shipped), you will simply omit the last 4 chapters of the non-chalkdust text and the last 2 DVD's from HM. You would do that ONLY if this is what you plan on using for a 6th grade math program. If you plan on using this for an older student and you want to go right into Algebra 1, and skip a prealgebra program then you could use the entire text and ALL the DVD's. The topics are almost identical to Lials Basic College Math, and I know many use that as a pre-algebra text.

Got it?

I don't know what to do. Stick it out with MUS, jump over to CD prealgebra and see if he can hold his own, or try the BCM and then go into algebra when he's completed that.

Math is definitely not his strong suit. He gets it, it just takes a while for a topic to sink in. That's why I decided on MUS. But, now I'm doubting the program. I know its not as rigorous as CD and maybe we don't need the rigor. But, I do want him to learn as much as he can. I've even read reviews this morning about students frustration with the upper levels of MUS not having enough explanation.

Help someone! Monday is just around the corner!

Can you go from BCM right into algebra? Does CD prealgebra have enough review of basic math to maybe supplement with MM is he doesn't get something?

Thanks!

Kim

Edited by home4school

BCM is great. But it did not work for my children. It is a big book with lots of problems. Basically, they were visually overwhelmed.

We've switched back to MUS for everyone. It may be a bit sparse but my kids really UNDERSTAND. Personally, I think MUS is great especially if you are trying to catch up. You don't have to work every page. OR you can work every page and build CONFIDENCE as your child works through something easy at first. If MUS is really easy for your child, he'll work through it quickly, have a good foundation, then you can move to a "harder" curriculum.

So my vote: MUS. :001_smile:

Hmm usually when people on these boards talk about BCM, they are talking about Lial's Basic College Math. I haven't seen the one you linked to. We are doing MUS pre-algebra with ds. He has done most of Lial's BCM, but it wasn't a good fit. I loved it, but he didn't retain from it. As a pp said, it is a lot of problems on a page, very visually overwhelming.

I considered Chalkdust, but this child would not be able to focus through the longer video lessons (autistic spectrum presents as severe ADD at this point). So I decided to stay with MUS. He did LoF Pre-Algebra over the summer and we plan to continue using LoF along with MUS to help make sure he gets a different more application based exposure to each level.

Hmm usually when people on these boards talk about BCM, they are talking about Lial's Basic College Math. I haven't seen the one you linked to. We are doing MUS pre-algebra with ds. He has done most of Lial's BCM, but it wasn't a good fit. I loved it, but he didn't retain from it. As a pp said, it is a lot of problems on a page, very visually overwhelming.

I considered Chalkdust, but this child would not be able to focus through the longer video lessons (autistic spectrum presents as severe ADD at this point). So I decided to stay with MUS. He did LoF Pre-Algebra over the summer and we plan to continue using LoF along with MUS to help make sure he gets a different more application based exposure to each level.

I always think of Lials when I hear BCM, so I'm a bit confused myself!:lol:

How long are the video sessions with CD and how often do you watch them? I liked the idea of MUS so we could watch together for a bit on Monday morning.

Thanks,

Kim

I'm going to agree with Pam L that Lial's BCM would be overwhelming for your ds. I just purchased the book myself, and while, yes, it is great material, it is just what Pam said...a big book, lots of small type on every page, written to an older audience than your 8th gr. ds. Visually intimidating, especially for a student who might not exactly love math in the first place.

I'm not degrading your ds, BTW. I'm just basing my thoughts on what you said about math not being his strong suit. I would strive to find something that was more visually on target for a 13 yr. old who probably needs just that! (my dc did)

I'm not familiar with MUS, but between that and these other options you have mentioned (Lial's BCM, Chalkdust PreAlgebra) I guess if I were you I wouldn't want to take a chance on intimidating my dc with a big, visually overwhelming book.

I'd just stick with the MUS PreAlgebra and have some other materials on hand to supplement as resource material. My choice would be the Chalkdust PreAlgebra (Aufmann)....just buy the book.

All that said, if you are still wanting to look at other options besides MUS, you might want to investigate BJU PreAlgebra or Rod and Staff level 8. Look at online samples (at BJU website) or ask around to people you know who may have these books you could look at. Personally the BJU PreAlgebra/Algebra 1 books have been the best fit for us, in this same regard.

By all means, just because your school year is beginning next week, don't rush into anything! Be diligent in your research, but don't let this totally stress you out.

Oh, if you were hoping for some video teaching, http://www.coolmathguy.com is a site that sells Dana Mosely's teaching videos online. You can purchase just the topics you really need! Check it out. I didn't double check that web address, so I hope it is correct.

Susan

I just spent an hour on the phone with Dana Mosley! He is just wonderful! I can't believe the level of support he gives to CD. I still am concerned though. He said the lectures can be anywhere from 15-45 minutes long. I would lose my ds after 15. He also recommended an hour a day. I know at these upper levels we really need to be at that amount, but I'm afraid ds just isn't there.

Still don't know what to do. I like the idea of just buying the CD book and supplementing. I wonder if I could pull that off without the dvds. Also, MUS sequence is so strange, I don't know how I'd line it up.

I just don't know.

To clarify my own first post: I would not choose Chalkdust PreAlgebra as a primary text in this case. Reason being because it, too, is a big book chock full of so much information and problems (though about 100 pages less than Lial's BCM). There is a lot of print on each page and it, too, is written to an older audience, not 13 year olds. There are tons of problems in the exercises. You don't have to assign them all of course!

However, I would use it as a resource book to help clarify explanations on a given topic if needed. And the fact that it does have lots of problems makes it a good resource to pull extra practice problems from. We have used it this way.

Another comment about CD PreAlgebra: After using TT PreAlgebra, its coverage seemed a little short, so that's why I bought CD PreAlgebra to use to use before we started Algebra 1. I was astounded with the difference. CD PreAlgebra covered so much more and more in depth than TT. Really there is a lot of beginning Algebra coverage in the CD PreAlgebra.

I'm sorry I don't have any familiarity with MUS PreAlgebra or Algebra 1 to give any input in that direction.

Also, if you spent an hour talking on the phone with Dana Mosely, I'd think you'd certainly need to give his advice high regard!

Can you share anything specifically he advised?

Susan

I'd just stick with the MUS PreAlgebra and have some other materials on hand to supplement as resource material. My choice would be the Chalkdust PreAlgebra (Aufmann)....just buy the book.

Your suggestion here was what I meant by supplementing.

Its so hard sometimes for me to get my ideas out in a post!

Also, if you spent an hour talking on the phone with Dana Mosely, I'd think you'd certainly need to give his advice high regard!

Can you share anything specifically he advised?

I actually talked with him again this evening for another 45 minutes! I had emailed him with a few more questions and instead of just emailing me back, he called me back. I thought it was really something. My dh said, "He's just trying to sell his product.":glare::lol:

Anyway, after explaining where we were and what a shaky foundation my ds has, he still encouraged me to go with prealgebra. He said there were enough problems to pick and choose from, even easier ones in each set, to bolster my son's confidence. I told him I probably wouldn't even know how to pick the right problems, some to build his independence, yet enough to challenge without beating him down. He offered to work up a lesson plan for me!

I mentioned that had been a negative I read about CD, not being homeschool friendly and hard to schedule. He said he was in the process of coming up with schedules for each level, having a standard one and as well as an accelerated.

We talked at length about my son's dislike of anything paper, pencil related and he was enouraging that soon maturity would kick in and schooling would become easier.

He seems readily available to anyone needing help with the program. Oddly enough, he said he doesn't get as many calls as you would think for support. Simply the fact he isn't inundated with calls and emails speaks highly for the teaching ability of the program, I suppose.

All in all a very nice man. Just wish I could drop my son off daily for math!

So glad you've had such good and encouraging words from Dana Mosely. Is he just trying to sell his product? Welll...I hope not, but I would think that he is not going to suggest going with Lial's BCM!

At any rate I wish you well with your decision. We have the PreAlgebra DVD instruction, and I will say that Dana Mosely is an excellent teacher! It is like having him in your home as your own private teacher.

Did you check out that http://www.coolmathguy.com

This is the site that sells Dana Mosely video instuction online, topic by topic, should you so choose. IOW, if you're going along just fine, but then get stuck on a topic, purchase just that video segment of teaching to get you through/over that bump in the road.

You may want to go to the site and show your son examples of Mr. Mosely's teaching.

Susan

I would think that he is not going to suggest going with Lial's BCM!

Yes, I would think not! But I was asking him about placement between their BCM and prealgebra, not Lials.;)

Did you check out that www.coolmathguy.com

I did look there. I can't see the total $150, but $5 here and there would be great for when you really need extra help.

I'm thinking I may just pick up the CD prealgebra and use it along with MUS, finishing it up after MUS is done. See how it works for us. I think I'll be ok for now without the dvds, until I see exactly what we're up against.

That's sort of what we did, except instead of using MUS, we've used TT/BJU and had the Chalkdust material on hand to help out. (BTW, I bought all of my materials used for very good prices, so it's not like I've had to take out a bank loan to have access to everything!)

Hope it works for you!

Susan

I'm not exactly sure how its going to work out. When I get the CD book in my hand, maybe then I can see a way to corelate them. But the TOC in the MUS is nothing remotely similar to the TOC of CD.

I've been searching used and it looks like I can get the books dirt cheap, except for the TM. I haven't found it less than $70!?!

Can you clarify for me exactly which solutions manual and / or TM I would need for the 4th ed prealg?