Menu

Ellen McHenry Experiments or Activities?

SamanthaBea

Are there lots of experiments in Ellen McHenry Elements chemistry curriculum or is it mostly activities (games, songs, etc.)? I really like what I've read of the program, but I know that my ds won't be interested in many of the activities--He's waaay too cool for that "baby" stuff, you know! :coolgleamA: I just want to make sure that there are also lots of hands-on experiments, which I know he'll love and want to do.

I was planning on doing REAL Science Odyssey (RSO) Chemistry, but since he is at the very top of the recommended age range, I was going to have to do lots of tweaking and supplementation. The Elements program looks meatier and more age appropriate for him.

(BTW, I'm looking for a secular, hands-on chemistry program for upper elementary.)

Thanks!!! :D

We'll be using Elements this year and I'm contemplating teaching it in our co-op. From my quick reading earlier this summer, I remember only activities, not experiments. I'm going to add Adventures with Atoms and Molecules for experiments. I have the library copy and love what I see--the experiments start with a question like "do molecules move" and then have simple experiments using stuff from around the house to find out the answer (like dropping food color in water for the above). I think the two will tie in together really well.

McHenry does have some experiments, but probably more activities. I am going to teach it to 3rd-6th graders in our tutorial this year and am really looking forward to using it.

With your son being a very mature 10 yr old, I am not so sure. It does, for instance, explain the different families of elements in terms of a fairy tale kingdom. It is a really clever approach, but he may be turned off. Some of the other ideas are games and activities like making a periodic chart table on a pillowcase.

I am very excited about the program, but it may not be what you are looking for.

Another thought though is, the price is very reasonable. It might be worth getting just to aid in your own understanding of chemistry. I did not have a strong background in this area, so therefore have learned a TON just from reading the material. She does an excellent job of making the concepts easily understandable.

I may have just confused you more, but I hope that gives you some good info!

Thanks for the replies!

As much as I would prefer otherwise, sounds like the Ellen McHenry program wouldn't work for my ds.

I forgot to mention that I'm also considering Mr. Q's e=mcq chemistry program. However, $50 for an ebook that I have to pay to print out seems a little steep to me!

Finding a chemistry program that will work for us has been a thorn in my side. No pressure, it's not like school is starting next week or anything!!! :eek:

As much as I would prefer otherwise, sounds like the Ellen McHenry program wouldn't work for my ds.

I forgot to mention that I'm also considering Mr. Q's e=mcq chemistry program. However, $50 for an ebook that I have to pay to print out seems a little steep to me!

I've used Mr Q Life, and I own The Elements, and while I liked the Mr Q Life for what it was (and will be using Earth this year), the EMcH Elements is way meatier. I'm actually planning to get through Mr Q Earth and The Elements this year with my 9.5yo. I'd say she's getting on the old side for the Mr. Q but is still on the younger side for the Elements.

Just looking at The Elements - you're right, it's mostly games, activities and skits. There are a couple of experiments.

I also have her Carbon Chemistry - it has many more experiments - if he's already had some Chem, maybe you'd like that better? Or just add experiments from somewhere else? The content is quite good.